Windows 10: Unable to connect to Windows 10 computer via Remote Desktop

Discus and support Unable to connect to Windows 10 computer via Remote Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 6 Windows 10 computers. All but one can connect to each other via Remote Desktop over my home network. When I try to Remote Desktop to the 6th... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tdehan, Jan 22, 2020.

1. tdehan Win User

Unable to connect to Windows 10 computer via Remote Desktop

I have 6 Windows 10 computers. All but one can connect to each other via Remote Desktop over my home network. When I try to Remote Desktop to the 6th computer I get the following error:

Remote Desktop can't find the computer [computer name]. This might mean that [computer name] does not belong to the specific network. Verify the computer name and domain that you are trying to connect to.

All 6 computers are on the same network and workgroup. Remote Desktop services are enabled. Desktop sharing is set to allowed.

What am I missing here?

:)

tdehan, Jan 22, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

3. Noor_Azam Win User
    Unable to connect to computer through remote desktop.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Are the computers connected to the same network, when they are next to each other?

If yes, you will be able to remote desktop as they are connected to the same network without any issues. As you are trying to remote from a different place the computers should be connected to internet to use the Remote desktop
    connection. I suggest to refer this section Get started with Remote Desktop on Windows under article

Remote Desktop clients
    to use Microsoft remote desktop to connect to remote and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Jan 22, 2020
  4. tdaveny Win User

Remote Desktop Connection to Windows 10 Home - Unable to make

I purchased several Intel NUC Computers with Windows 10 Home - Was assured by Intel & Microsoft that as Remote Desktop is part of Windows 10 Home and I will have a full blown remote capability.

I followed and double checked all posted configuration settings for Windows 10 to allow to connect to it

Attempting to connect to Windows10 Home using several Windows 7 Pro systems , I am unable to make that connection

Microsoft Support claims that it is possible using Remote Desktop Connection on a Windows 7 Pro computer to connect to Windows 10 Home - I cannot manage to do that

Some Microsoft documentation suggests that one cannot connect to Win 10 Home using Remote Desktop

So which is it ? Is it Possible or Not ?

tdaveny, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to connect to Windows 10 computer via Remote Desktop - Similar Threads - Unable connect computer

2. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  3. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  4. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  5. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  6. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Unable to connect remote desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect remote desktop: Unable to connect remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-remote-desktop/4ec89276-b78e-4f88-9193-51c33f2d1a4e
  8. Unable to connect remote desktop

Unable to connect remote desktop: Unable to connect remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-remote-desktop/4ec89276-b78e-4f88-9193-51c33f2d1a4e
  9. Unable to connect to computer through remote desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to connect to computer through remote desktop.: I am trying to set up Remote Desktop and have updated all of the settings accordingly on the laptop I am trying to remote to. I am able to remote from my computer when I am sitting right next to the laptop, but when I am at home and try to remote to it, I get an error saying...
  10. Unable to connect to Remote Desktop in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to connect to Remote Desktop in Windows 10: Tried to log in using the Remote Desktop and it says it is configuring the remote session and then just disappears. . I've never seen this behavior before and I was stumped . however I was able to login with the same credentials on a different machine. Could this be due to...