Windows 10: unable to control brightness after Windows 10 update

Discus and support unable to control brightness after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, We recently had our Windows 10 update and unfortunately can no longer control the brightness. Here is what we have tried with no success based on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AnjaliKumar1, Jan 26, 2019.

1. unable to control brightness after Windows 10 update

Hi,

We recently had our Windows 10 update and unfortunately can no longer control the brightness. Here is what we have tried with no success based on the Windows user help forums:

1. Gone to device manager and switched to microsoft basic display - screen blacks out and requires soft crash to restart

2. Updated all hardware drives including Intel Graphics Display card

3. gone into power options and attempted to enable display screen adaptiveness - this is on but the slider on the battery icon does nothing

4. Uninstalled, Restarted and rebooted the updates

5. Battery settings are not allowing us to adjust the brightness

6. tried ctrl b and fn + F9/F10 as per laptop setup

7. Tried to adjust brightness with HP assistant

8. Power options are useless as it does not let me save any changes made to the plan settings.

This is ridiculous! We have had so many issues since getting Windows 10 and every time the brightness adjuster disappears whenever there is a new patch/update. Till date we have gotten around this by using the basic microsoft display in our device manager but this time it has not worked. I am very frustrated at this stage as the brightness is overwhelming when it the laptop re-starts but when we close the lid or it goes to sleep it goes down to the lowest brightness setting with us unable to adjust.

Has anyone had this issue? if so please can someone help with the appropriate patch?

:)

AnjaliKumar1, Jan 26, 2019
  2. John Sarc Win User

Brightness Control not working in Windows 10

Hi Ella,

To adjust the brightness, see the steps below:

• Go back to Power Options, and tick on the High performance.
    • See if you can adjust the brightness.

If this not work, we highly suggest that you create an Administrator account, and re-do the steps above.

Let us know how it goes.

John Sarc, Jan 26, 2019
  3. NO BRIGHTNESS CONTROL AFTER WINDOWS 1O UPDATE

Hello Gaurav,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with Brightness settings after upgrading to Windows 10 in the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

There is a possibility that this issue might have occurred due to incompatible or corrupt display drivers or the brightness settings are not correct in the system.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

To check for the brightness settings, please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows + C” keys on the keyboard.

• In the search box, type
      Power Options.

• Click on Power options, and under any plan, click
      Change plan settings.

• Click Change advanced power settings.

• In the list, expand Display, and then expand
      Enable adaptive brightness.

• To turn adaptive brightness on or off when your computer is running on battery power, click
      On battery, and then, in the list, click On or
      Off.

• To turn adaptive brightness on or off when your computer is plugged into an outlet, click
      Plugged in, and then, in the list, click On or
      Off.

• Click Apply. Click
      OK.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

Step 1:
    Update the Display driver.

Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

• Press Windows key + X when you are at desktop.

• Select Device Manager.

• Expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display driver and click
      Update Driver Software.

• Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
    Step 2:

Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

• Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.

• When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Also see: Download and install drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/all-drivers

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

For more Information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Jan 26, 2019
  4. unable to control brightness after Windows 10 update

monitor brightness?

Hi Tom,

To change your Windows 10 monitor brightness, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo; then, search for Control Panel.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Choose Power Options.
    • On the next screen you should see brightness slider at the bottom of the Control Panel window.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

unable to control brightness after Windows 10 update

1. unable to control brightness after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - unable control brightness

2. Unable to Control Screen Brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Control Screen Brightness: I can't control my laptop's brightness, or more like the settings to control the brightness isn't even here. [IMG][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-control-screen-brightness/741ede6c-a5f0-4a4b-b9ba-0bbff913c4fb
  3. Brightness control stopped working after update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brightness control stopped working after update: Brightness control stopped working after window's update, tried the below possible solutions, but nothing worked. 1. set display driver basic version 2. update display driver 3. Windows reset The brightness is set at max in Windows, but i am able to adjust it in Ubuntu....
  4. Unable to change brightness Windows 10 - No brightness controls/slider

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change brightness Windows 10 - No brightness controls/slider: I have been unable to adjust my brightness on my laptop. It seems like anything related to the idea of "brightness" has been wiped from my computer: no brightness slider in display settings, no slider in the Action Center, can't use my keyboard shortcuts (Fn + F11/F12), and...
  5. Unable to change brightness via fn + brightness keys after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to change brightness via fn + brightness keys after windows 10 update: Same problem with muting and unmuting via fn+(un)mute. Other fn combinations seem to work. It is possible to change the brightness via settings but I really want the hotkeys to work. I have tried updating drivers for keyboards and display adapters but that didn't work. I...
  6. Brightness control NOT working after update !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Brightness control NOT working after update !: Before installing the latest update ( March 1, 2019—KB4482887 (OS Build 17763.348) ) i normally i can control the brightness of the screen of my PC ( HP Pavilion dv6 notebook pc ) but, after installing the updates i can't control it. I did uninstall the update and reboot the...
  7. Brightness control not working after updating windows 10

Brightness control not working after updating windows 10: i can't control my brightness after i updating my windows 10 to latest update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brightness-control-not-working-after-updating/1a416f92-87a9-4d2a-8e0e-768c769245fe
  8. cannot control the screen brightness after windows 10 update

cannot control the screen brightness after windows 10 update: cannot control the screen brightness after windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-control-the-screen-brightness-after-windows/c0fb0297-b1ce-40b0-b3eb-8b7aafc4774a
  9. Brightness Fn Controller Non-Functional after windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brightness Fn Controller Non-Functional after windows 10 Update: I have just recently updated to the latest version of Windows 10 and after it finished installing, i now cannot change the brightness using the function keys in my keyboard. I have tried updating the controllers for the display, but they are already updated. This is not the...
  10. Laptop Brightness Controls Not Working After Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Brightness Controls Not Working After Windows 10 Update: Hello, Recently my Acer Aspire E 15 laptop did a windows update automatically after I had put it off too long. Afterwards, I found I could no longer control the brightness/dimness of the display with the keys. Normally, it works by holding down Fn and then I am able to use...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to control brightness in windows 10

2. unable to change the brightness on Windows 10 after updates

3. unable to control brightness windows 10