Windows 10: Unable to convert 7 partition disk (basic) to dynamic disk

Discus and support Unable to convert 7 partition disk (basic) to dynamic disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro. I have an old 1Tb drive that used to be the boot (C) drive and also had partitions for two additional drives. I since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KenY7744, Jan 14, 2017.

1. KenY7744 Win User

Unable to convert 7 partition disk (basic) to dynamic disk

I am running Windows 10 Pro.

I have an old 1Tb drive that used to be the boot (C) drive and also had partitions for two additional drives.
    I since replaced that 1Tb drive with an SSD and another 2Tb second internal drive.

I've inserted the 1Tb in an external USB SATA dock. In Disk Management I was able to delete all the data volumes on the 1Tb, which then formed two unallocated sections, but there are 4 other partitions that I was not able to deleteDiskMgmtScreenShot.docx.

I then tried to convert the drive to a dynamic disk, but got an error saying "The operation is not supported by the object."

See attachment for screen shots.DiskMgmtScreenShot.docx

Is there any way to just reformat the entire drive, or to remove the partitions? I don't see FDisk in Windows 10.

How about putting this drive in the internal bay, and attempt to reformat it with the Windows 7 install disk, and just tell it to remove all partitions?

:)

KenY7744, Jan 14, 2017

2. Accidentally Converted Disk to Dynamic and Cannot boot

Windows build-in utilities only allow you to convert a blank disk (shown as unallocated space) to basic disk. I have used AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert dynamic disk to basic disk without data loss. in your case, you
    need to make a bootable media with this freeware on another computer. then boot your computer from it to convert dynamic disk to basic disk. it provides two options to convert dynamic disk to basic disk.

Method 1: Convert a dynamic disk back to basic disk. Safely, directly and time-saving (only take 3-10 seconds) revert a dynamic disk back to basic disk without losing data.

Method 2: Convert any dynamic volume to a basic partition. Sector by sector clone simple volume, spanned volume, striped volume, mirrored volume and RAID-5 volume from dynamic to basic disk.

Even though you will not lose the data on the dynamic disk when you use this option to convert the dynamic disk back to a basic disk, be sure to backup any data on the dynamic disk that you wish to keep first just to be safe in case something happens.
    Say a power outage while in the middle of converting the disk.

How to Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic in Windows 10 without Data Loss

Youngwarlord, Jan 14, 2017
  3. Smittychat., Jan 14, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

Open Admin command and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 6 Note: your doc shows this as disk 6, if different then change it to the correct #
    clean
    exit

Open disk management and initalize the disk then format.

topgundcp, Jan 14, 2017
  5. KenY7744 Win User
    That worked.

Thanks.

When initializing the disk, which is better? MBR or GPT?

KenY7744, Jan 14, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    GPT will support HD > 2TB capacity, 128 primary partitions
    MBR limited to 2TB capacity HD, 4 primary partitions
    So it's up to you. The speed won't affect either GPT or MBR.

topgundcp, Jan 14, 2017
  7. KenY7744 Win User
    Thanks for your help TopGunDCP.

KenY7744, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to convert 7 partition disk (basic) to dynamic disk - Similar Threads - Unable convert partition

2. The operation you selected will convert the basic disk into a dynamic disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The operation you selected will convert the basic disk into a dynamic disk: Hi. I need help. When i want to make a new disk. This shows up:The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disks to dynamic disks. If you convert the disks to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operation systems from any volume on the disks except...
  3. The operation you selected will convert the basic disk into a dynamic disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The operation you selected will convert the basic disk into a dynamic disk: Hi. I need help. When i want to make a new disk. This shows up:The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disks to dynamic disks. If you convert the disks to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operation systems from any volume on the disks except...
  4. The operation you selected will convert the basic disk into a dynamic disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk: Hello guys!Today I need your help because if not then I'll be in danger. Now what happened is that I was trying to split a E drive in disk management tool. So when I did so it gave me a warning message saying that the disk will be a dynamic one and that the PC will not be...
  6. Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk: Hello guys!Today I need your help because if not then I'll be in danger. Now what happened is that I was trying to split a E drive in disk management tool. So when I did so it gave me a warning message saying that the disk will be a dynamic one and that the PC will not be...
  7. converting back to basic disk from dynamic disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    converting back to basic disk from dynamic disk: I need help! I recently installed Windows 10 on my grandmother's computer. Shortly after, I realized that drive "E" SD card storage was no longer accessible, blocked by tools. Using Disk Management I moved the tools, but in the process accidently converted my "Disk 0" that...
  8. Converting dynamic disk to basic disk windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Converting dynamic disk to basic disk windows 10: Hi, I accidentally changed my c-drive to dynamic disk. It is my only memory on my pc. How can I change it back to basic disk? I allready searched information and looked up for various instructions and videos. I can't delete volumes because os is installed on that and that...
  9. Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk: [Apologies if I have posed this in the wrong place; thanks for moving it if necessary!] - Good morning Folks! *Smile I thought this would be simple: 1TB HDD with Two 500GB Partitions E: & Z:. Having available space in E: and needing more in Z: I performed a "Shrink" on...
  10. please help converting basic disk to a dynamic disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    please help converting basic disk to a dynamic disk: Hi, I am sorry im not tech savy and i am trying to put 24tb together and i have 6 external drives of 4tb each. I am in disk management and I am trying to convert each of them from basic disk to a dynamic disk so i can group them together but it is showing a message of "The...