Windows 10: Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission)

Discus and support Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have a PC in my office running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803. Whenever I try to copy anything from that PC to a pen drive, hard disk,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lolcocks, Feb 11, 2019.

1. lolcocks Win User

Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission)

Hello,

I have a PC in my office running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803.

Whenever I try to copy anything from that PC to a pen drive, hard disk, anything, I just get an error saying "You need permission to perform this action"

Even if I check permissions of the files as well as the pen drive I am trying to copy to, the permissions say that "Everyone" has "Full control"

Why is this happening?

Even group policy has not blocked external storage devices.

Is there some other setting I am missing?

:)

lolcocks, Feb 11, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

How to provide confirmation popup while copying any file on external storage?

Hi Pratap,

Please answer these questions to assist you further.

• Is your computer connected to Domain network or Windows server?
    • When you say "confirmation popup while copying files to external storage" are you referring to admin permission to copy those files to user?

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 11, 2019
  3. Update Assistant does not detect External Storage Device

I am currently facing an issue with the update assistant. The problem comes from the prompt as seen from this webpage

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-10-freeing-up-space-to-install-latest-update

The issue is in "Step 2: Connect an external storage device". It says to
    "Connect your external storage device and wait until you see it in the drop-down list" but the external storage device already connected to my device (and shows up on My PC) is not shown on the drop down list. Can you help?

Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission) c6321704-8541-466f-88a9-ab5e75fbdf04?upload=true.png

Haziq Jamaludin, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

Unable to copy or del from external drive

Hi Kinjal,

Regarding your issue with the Recycle Bin, you can use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. For steps on how to run the System File Checker tool, check the following link:

Use the System File Checker tool

Regarding your issue with needing special permissions when deleting or copying files from your phone to any external drive, let's try to isolate the issue by providing us the information below:

• Are your phone and external drive connected to your computer at the same time?
    • Have you tried copying the files first to your computer then to the external drive?
    • What is the exact error message that you receive when deleting or copying files?
    • What is the name and model of your phone?

Looking forward to your response.

Gino Des, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission) - Similar Threads - Unable copy anything

2. Unable to copy to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy to an external drive: I have an external drive that I have used many times for storage; i.e., moving files from my desktop to the external drive. Now when I try to move files there, I get a message saying "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain...
  3. Unable to copy to an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to copy to an external drive: I have an external drive that I have used many times for storage; i.e., moving files from my desktop to the external drive. Now when I try to move files there, I get a message saying "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain...
  4. Unable to copy to an external drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Storage devices not accessible internal, external

Storage devices not accessible internal, external: The accessibility of internal and external usb storage devices has become blocked in Windows 11 complete with all latest updates. This concerns an internal Samsung SSD 859 EVO 500GB Drive SSD and an internal TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB drive DVD and any external usb storage...
  6. Access Denied To External Storage Device

Access Denied To External Storage Device: I use Shadow PC shadow.tech and they have port forwarding which I have working. My device shows up in the file explorer as my D drive, but when I go to open it, I get a dialogue with the header, "Location is not available," and next to a big red X, it reads, "D:\ is not...
  7. Search in external storage device

in Cortana
    Search in external storage device: How can I search a word in documents that are in an external storage device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-in-external-storage-device/8d5abdd3-c417-47cd-9f15-8449fe238e3e
  8. Hitachi External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hitachi External Storage Device: Cannot get my Hatachi External Storage device to be recognized, using plug and play. Is there a driver that I need to download? If so, where can I find it?...
  9. Unable to copy complete mp3 files to any external Storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to copy complete mp3 files to any external Storage: Hi all, I have been facing an unique problem since last 1+ yr since I upgraded my laptop to windows 10. I have the same laptop still and this problem pertains to all the flash drives including class10 sd cards or 3x pen drives Now the issue that I am facing is that When...
  10. Solid State external storage device

in Windows 10 Customization
    Solid State external storage device: I have a 1TB solid state storage device that plugs into a USB port. I can see the device in device manager but can not see the device in file explorer. How can I fix this?...