Windows 10: Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission)

Discus and support Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have a PC in my office running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803. Whenever I try to copy anything from that PC to a pen drive, hard disk,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lolcocks, Feb 11, 2019.

1. lolcocks Win User

Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission)

Hello,

I have a PC in my office running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803.

Whenever I try to copy anything from that PC to a pen drive, hard disk, anything, I just get an error saying "You need permission to perform this action"

Even if I check permissions of the files as well as the pen drive I am trying to copy to, the permissions say that "Everyone" has "Full control"

Why is this happening?

Even group policy has not blocked external storage devices.

Is there some other setting I am missing?

:)

lolcocks, Feb 11, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

How to provide confirmation popup while copying any file on external storage?

Hi Pratap,

Please answer these questions to assist you further.

• Is your computer connected to Domain network or Windows server?
    • When you say "confirmation popup while copying files to external storage" are you referring to admin permission to copy those files to user?

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 11, 2019
  3. Update Assistant does not detect External Storage Device

I am currently facing an issue with the update assistant. The problem comes from the prompt as seen from this webpage

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-10-freeing-up-space-to-install-latest-update

The issue is in "Step 2: Connect an external storage device". It says to
    "Connect your external storage device and wait until you see it in the drop-down list" but the external storage device already connected to my device (and shows up on My PC) is not shown on the drop down list. Can you help?

Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission) c6321704-8541-466f-88a9-ab5e75fbdf04?upload=true.png

Haziq Jamaludin, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

Unable to copy or del from external drive

Hi Kinjal,

Regarding your issue with the Recycle Bin, you can use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. For steps on how to run the System File Checker tool, check the following link:

Use the System File Checker tool

Regarding your issue with needing special permissions when deleting or copying files from your phone to any external drive, let's try to isolate the issue by providing us the information below:

• Are your phone and external drive connected to your computer at the same time?
    • Have you tried copying the files first to your computer then to the external drive?
    • What is the exact error message that you receive when deleting or copying files?
    • What is the name and model of your phone?

Looking forward to your response.

Gino Des, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission) - Similar Threads - Unable copy anything

2. External mic is not listed in devices so unable to use the external mic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External mic is not listed in devices so unable to use the external mic: I bought a new windows 10 dell laptop and trying to use an external Boya Lavalier mic with it. But when I connect it, my voice still does not get recorded and nothing shows in troubleshooting. The mic is working correctly when connected to a mobile so that is not a problem...
  3. Change permissions on external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change permissions on external drive: How do I change Permissions on an external hard drive from someone else's laptop? I've connected a friend's hard drive to my laptop via a SATA/USB cable, but can't get access to Users directories....
  4. External storage device is not showing up on laptop

External storage device is not showing up on laptop: External storage device , Verbatim , is not showing up on my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-storage-device-is-not-showing-up-on/927828a2-9c6b-48ec-bd45-39498c6292fd
  5. External Storage Dynamicinvalid

External Storage Dynamicinvalid: Hi, One of my external storage HDD is showing a dynamic invalid in Check Disk. And I can't access the data. I am able to convert it into basic but data will be loss. I want to know how can I take backup of Dynamic invalid disk. Thank you...
  6. Storage external HD

Storage external HD: I downloaded the window10 installation disk in my Hard Disk-external, thereafter I could not see my other files on the drive and the display size of the disk is showing 40GB, the Original size of the disk is 1TB. How could I reover my HD? I have delated downloaded window 10...
  7. Solid State external storage device

in Windows 10 Customization
    Solid State external storage device: I have a 1TB solid state storage device that plugs into a USB port. I can see the device in device manager but can not see the device in file explorer. How can I fix this?...
  8. Hardwire Laptop to External Storage

Hardwire Laptop to External Storage: I connected my laptop via ethernet cable to my terabyte external storage, but my laptop doesn't seem to recognize the drive using Exploring...? Any ideas on how to connect (to ack-up my laptop? Thank You!...
  9. windows is unable to stop the device usb mass storage.....

windows is unable to stop the device usb mass storage.....: after I close Explorer, this error message showed up. how to safely remove this USB hard disc drive, Toshiba 1 TB? [img] 80801
  10. SMB to external storage

SMB to external storage: Does anyone know how to access shares on USB-connected drives via SMB/Samba from another network device? I can see them from another Windows PC, but not from anything else. Used to work under W7. 32241