Windows 10: Unable to create a Restore Drive in newly MAR Refurbished Windows 10 Pro HP EliteBook 840...

Discus and support Unable to create a Restore Drive in newly MAR Refurbished Windows 10 Pro HP EliteBook 840... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Making a "Restore USB in Windows 10 Pro does not work Product: HP EliteBook 840 G2 (MAR Refurbished) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Alan515, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Alan515 Win User

Unable to create a Restore Drive in newly MAR Refurbished Windows 10 Pro HP EliteBook 840...

Making a "Restore USB in Windows 10 Pro does not work
    Product: HP EliteBook 840 G2 (MAR Refurbished)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased two MAR Refurbished HP EliteBook 840 G2's. One came from Joy Systems, and the other came from Arrow Electronics.. I want to make recovery media for each computer as they are NOW in the 1809 Windows 10 version (build) because these computers do not have the capacity for later versions of Windows 10, as they come out. The sheet that came with the "Arrow Computer" specifically says that there is a System Recovery Folder in your Start menu that will allow you to create your own "recovery media." You can also go to "system recovery" in the control panel and the first option there is "make system recovery drive." System Recovery Media for a specific computer are important to have!

On the computer from Arrow Electronics I tried to make a Recovery USB drive, and it DID NOT WORK. It started, reformatted the USB drive, and only ran for about 30 seconds before it said that it was complete. It should take over an hour to copy the whose system : Windows 10 Pro and all the drivers in the system to the USB drive. To be safe I used a 32 GB brand new USB drive.

I called the customer service number and the man who answered was a bull**bleep**er. He said that a "system recovery media" wasn't necessary because you could always get a new copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft. That may be true, but it isn't a true "recovery media" that is needed in some situations, and I want to make a "recovery media" for this specific computer!!!

I tried running Windows "fresh start" that installs a clean version of Windows 10, and that didn't work either as described, but stopped part way through the process.

Can I make a accurate "restore media" for this computer?

Currently is there something wrong with the Windows 10 software, the computer, or both?

Thank you for your assistance.

Alan

:)

Alan515, Jul 4, 2019
  2. Alan515 Win User

Making "Restore Media" for two MAR REFURBISHED HP EliteBook 840 G2 Computers

I purchased two MAR REFURBISHED HP EliteBook 840 G2 Computers from Walmart. The first came from Joy Systems; the second from Arrow. New HP's come with a "factory restore Image" in a separate partition on the hard drive and a program, which will run only
    once, that allows the owner to create one copy of a "factory restore image." These MAR HP refurbished computers came with neither. What Joy Systems advertises as "restore media" is only a series of procedures that will restore Windows 10 to all of the default
    settings.

I believe Microsoft has a link, which will allow you to download the "update version" of Windows 10 for those who updated from Windows 7 & 8.1, but I believe that does not include the HP drivers for the hardware. Getting the correct drivers is very difficult,
    and very time consuming if you know how, which I do not.

This will not help should the computer become infected with serious Malware, where I have always been able to run a "out of the box - factory restore," then reupdate the computer, reinstall any added programs, and that totally corrects any problems.

I have been told that the 1809 version of Windows 10 has built into it a procedure to create an "out of the box - factory restore" media on a flash drive, exactly like the "run only once" program on a new HP computer would create.

If it is possible to create an "out of the box - factory restore" media on these two computers, would someone tell me how to do it, or where on Microsoft's website the instructions are for doing it?

HP EliteBook 840 G2's have no disk drives in them.

I would do it on the Arrow refurbished computer first because this computer has no added Programs or HP driver updates added to it. Will the restore media created on this computer (if it is possible) also work on the other HP EliteBook 840 G2 Computer, or
    should I create a second restore thumb drive for this computer too?

If I create one on the first computer, which has programs added, should I delete them before starting?

Very little is in the small amount of literature that came with these computers, and the HP online manuals are for new computers.

Thank you for your help.

Alan515, Jul 4, 2019
  3. Alan515 Win User
    Regarding MAR refurbished HP EleteBook 840 G2 -- Create a Recovery Drive for Reinstalling Windows 10.

Recently I came across an article, I believe that originated on this site, entitled How to: Create a Recovery Drive for Reinstalling Windows 10.

I have a MAR refurbished EliteBook 840 G2 that was advertised as having a "recovery drive" but the instructions that came with the computer make it clear that it is not the same as the recovery partitions that came with new HP computers I had bought. It
    is not in a separate partition, and it seem to only restore Windows 10 to the original factory setting, but not "erase" the old Windows 10 that has become corrupted and replace it with a new pristine copy, as the "factory recovery" partitions
    did on the brand new HP computers I bought.

2) It explains that "many users" will have installed Windows 10 by Windows Update, or some other download, without having used media, or bought a new Windows 10 computer with a "restore factory image" installed in a separate partition. It then states,
    "With Windows 10, you can create your own recovery media and back up the pristine state of the
    operating system and preinstalled software. If things go wrong and you are unable to refresh or reset your device successfully, you can boot the device using this recovery media and reset the device to the
    prior pristine state."

If it is a MAR refurbished computer with Windows 10 Pro : will the instructions in
    How to: Create a Recovery Drive for Reinstalling Windows 10 work, and will it restore a new pristine copy of Windows 10 to a refurbished computer if something goes wrong and the Windows 10 on the refurbished computer
    is corrupted by malware?

The instructions are simple:

3) What you will need: a. A new USB thumbdrive with 4 GBs of space or more

b. Your computer running Windows 10

4) instructions

1. Click START and type: create recovery
    2. Hit ENTER on your keyboard (and I guess follow the instructions that appear)

QUESTIONS:

1) Will this How to: Create a Recovery Drive for Reinstalling Windows 10
    work on my Joy Systems refurbished computer, and/or if it does, will it hurt anything?

2) If something "goes wrong" (like a malware infection) and their
    "WINDOWS SYSTEM RESTORE INSTRUCTIONS*" will not solve the problem; will this
    created Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10 reinstall a pristine copy
    of Windows 10 back on my computer?

I sent similar question to the refurbisher and their answer was useless.

Thank you very much for you assistance in answering these questions.

Alan515, Jul 4, 2019
  4. MAXPOPWER Win User

Unable to create a Restore Drive in newly MAR Refurbished Windows 10 Pro HP EliteBook 840...

HP ELITEBOOK 840 G2 hp drive encryption tpm authentification failed.(0xa)

HP ELITEBOOK 840 G2 hp drive encryption tpm authentification failed.(0xa)

I cant login, can access bios, restoring security settings doesnt help. i also have winmagic data security on my screen and have never seen this before. pls help

MAXPOPWER, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to create a Restore Drive in newly MAR Refurbished Windows 10 Pro HP EliteBook 840... - Similar Threads - Unable create Restore

2. HP EliteBook 840 G5 no longer starts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP EliteBook 840 G5 no longer starts: Hi all,My name is Thomas,I am in the process of reintall a Windows 10 a laptop that I got form the previous company of my wife.Thanks to the community I manage to access the BIOS menu.Then I looked at the process of creating a bootable flash drive.I understood that I had to...
  3. HP EliteBook 840 G5 no longer starts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP EliteBook 840 G5 no longer starts: Hi all,My name is Thomas,I am in the process of reintall a Windows 10 a laptop that I got form the previous company of my wife.Thanks to the community I manage to access the BIOS menu.Then I looked at the process of creating a bootable flash drive.I understood that I had to...
  4. HP EliteBook 840 G5 no longer starts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't connect to this network Windows 10 on HP EliteBook 840 G2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect to this network Windows 10 on HP EliteBook 840 G2: My HP EliteBook 840 G2 is not able to connect to the WiFi network set on TP-Link Archer C80 AC1900 router either to 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz SSID and getting the error "Can't connect to this network" even if the WiFi password is correct or by pushing the WSP switch on the...
  6. Can't connect to this network Windows 10 on HP EliteBook 840 G2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to this network Windows 10 on HP EliteBook 840 G2: My HP EliteBook 840 G2 is not able to connect to the WiFi network set on TP-Link Archer C80 AC1900 router either to 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz SSID and getting the error "Can't connect to this network" even if the WiFi password is correct or by pushing the WSP switch on the...
  7. BSOD on HP Elitebook 840 G7 - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD on HP Elitebook 840 G7 - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: Hey all, I have been getting the BSOD regularly on my HP. I have updated Windows, updated HP drivers and the BIOS. I'm at a loss. My computer details are: HP Elitebook 840 G7 IntelR CoreTM i7-10610U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz RAM: 16.0 GB OS info: Windows 10 20H2...
  8. How to type "í" on HP EliteBook 840

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to type "í" on HP EliteBook 840: I have installed the Hungarian language pack but cannot figure out how to type the "í" character ALT+0237 on my laptop's keyboard. I am using an HP EliteBook 840 G6. Alt-i gets me "Í", not the lower-case version of the letter. Thanks for any help!...
  9. Making "Restore Media" for two MAR REFURBISHED HP EliteBook 840 G2 Computers

Making "Restore Media" for two MAR REFURBISHED HP EliteBook 840 G2 Computers: I purchased two MAR REFURBISHED HP EliteBook 840 G2 Computers from Walmart. The first came from Joy Systems; the second from Arrow. New HP's come with a "factory restore Image" in a separate partition on the hard drive and a program, which will run only once, that allows the...
  10. Regarding MAR refurbished HP EleteBook 840 G2 -- Create a Recovery Drive for Reinstalling...

Regarding MAR refurbished HP EleteBook 840 G2 -- Create a Recovery Drive for Reinstalling...: Recently I came across an article, I believe that originated on this site, entitled How to: Create a Recovery Drive for Reinstalling Windows 10. I have a MAR refurbished EliteBook 840 G2 that was advertised as having a "recovery drive" but the instructions that came with the...