Windows 10: Unable to create a restore point -- never finishes

Discus and support Unable to create a restore point -- never finishes in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I try to create a manual restore point, the process appears to be working, but never finishes. There are no errors and Task Manager allows me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KFloyde, Jul 27, 2018.

1. KFloyde Win User

Unable to create a restore point -- never finishes

When I try to create a manual restore point, the process appears to be working, but never finishes.

There are no errors and Task Manager allows me to end the task without any problems.

There are two restore points lists -- both were created during Windows Update.

I tried booting into Safe Mode, but don't even get the "Create a Restore Point" option when I attempt it in there.

Is there a system scan or other utility that I should run to see what it causing this?

Thanks,

Kim.

:)

KFloyde, Jul 27, 2018

2. creating a restore point

Hi Anthony,

We understand that you're having an issue with creating a restore point. For us to further assist you, we'd like to gather additional information.

• Have you tried creating system restore point manually?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

If you haven't created a system restore point manually, you can refer to the article below and follow the instructions given. Disable your antivirus or security software and then try to create a system restore point manually.

Create a system restore point

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Jul 27, 2018
  3. unable to create system restore point

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Are you trying to create manual restore point in Windows 10?

• Do you receive any error message, while trying to create restore point?
    I like to inform you that, Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install desktop apps and new Windows updates, if the last restore point is older than 7 days. You can also create a restore point manually at any time.

To create restore point Manually, follow the below steps:

1. Press the WinKey+X to display the system menu and click
    System.

2. On the left side menu, click
    System Protection.

3. In the Protection Settings section, click the
    C: (system) drive.

4. Click the Create button.

5. Type a name for the System Restore file (The
    Date and Time will be added automatically).

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jul 27, 2018
  4. emmsee51 Win User

Unable to create a system restore point and previous restore points have disappeared

for 4 days now I have been unable to create a restore point.

No new software, not Windows updates, not malware or viruses detected in that time.

When I click on create button in system protection the resulting dialog box with 'creating a restore point' just sits and the green bar scrolls across the box. Clicking x (after 1 to 4 hours) does nothing.

Only way to stop it is via the task manager.

• Yes, VSS, Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider and Windows backup are all running.
    • Yes, all Dependencies of those 3 services are running (DCOM and RPC)
    • Yes I have disabled all services except for Microsoft and disabled all start up entries.
    • I have run CHKDSK /F from command prompt - no issues.
    • I have tried to create a restore point in both normal and safe mode.
    • I have my Anti-Virus and anti-Malware disabled/turned off.
    • I've run SFC / scannow with no resulting errors or issues.
    Initially when I tried to create a system restore I did get a response:

"The restore point could not be created for the following reasons:

The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information (0X80042306)"

I have researched the error code and complied with all suggested fixes - not different.

ADDITIONALLY:

ALL previous Restore points are now missing.

I create a restore point whenever Microsoft updates are to be installed; when I am installing new software and after any Malware or Virus scan.

When I last checked (4 days ago) I had 6 restore points this month.

I have allocated 42gb for restore points in system properties.

Can anyone offer other possible fixes?

cheers

emmsee

emmsee51, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to create a restore point -- never finishes - Similar Threads - Unable create restore

2. Unable to create restore point Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to create restore point Windows 10: I have been doing "Restore points" for my Computers for years every a few weeks.But I am unable to create Restore point today in one of my desktop computer and got the following message after failed;"The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The write...
  3. Unable to create restore point Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create restore point Windows 10: I have been doing "Restore points" for my Computers for years every a few weeks.But I am unable to create Restore point today in one of my desktop computer and got the following message after failed;"The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The write...
  4. Unable to create restore point Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to create a system restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create a system restore point: I'm installing Windows 11 so trying to create a system restore point but for some reason it's greyed out. Unclear why. Other questions like this are years old....
  6. Unable to create a system restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to create a system restore point: I'm installing Windows 11 so trying to create a system restore point but for some reason it's greyed out. Unclear why. Other questions like this are years old....
  7. Unable to create a system restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Unable to Create Restore Point on Schedule

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to Create Restore Point on Schedule: How do I create a "Create Restore Point on Schedule" when I don't have a password? I used to have a schedule that worked until I upgraded to 2004. Thanks for any help! 159252
  9. Unable to Create Restore Point on Schedule

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Create Restore Point on Schedule: How do I create a "Create Restore Point on Schedule" when I don't have a password? I used to have a schedule that worked until I upgraded to 2004. Thanks for any help! 159252
  10. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to create a restore point after 1903 update