Windows 10: Unable to create a simple Volume out of unallocated space.

Discus and support Unable to create a simple Volume out of unallocated space. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Alright, so I want to dual boot Ubuntu along side Windows 10. I shrunk my C drive to make a new partition for Ubuntu around 40 GB. However after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by blackbirdabhi, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Unable to create a simple Volume out of unallocated space.

Alright, so I want to dual boot Ubuntu along side Windows 10. I shrunk my C drive to make a new partition for Ubuntu around 40 GB. However after shrinking the partition, when I try to create a simple volume out of the unallocated space, I get a warning that it will be converted to a dynamic disk and that I will no longer be able to load installed Operating Systems on my Hard Drive. Now, I know that I cannot have more than 4 partitions. The partions on my HDD are:
    1. System Partition 100 MB NTFS
    2. C dive 296 GB where Windows is.
    3. Healthy Recovery 450 MB ( This doesn't show up in This PC)
    4. D drive 634 GB. Where I store my data.
    Is there any way to create another partition without converting my drive to a dynamic one?

P.S. I am not sure if this is the right category to place this question, but I didn't know where else I could post this.

:)

blackbirdabhi, Jun 5, 2016

2. restore system image to new, larger HD

I created a system image, replaced the HD with a larger one and restored the image. I now have 300GB unallocated space, but when I try and create a new simple volume on that space to make is usable, I get an error saying "you cannot create a new volume
    in this unallocated space because the disk already contains the maximum number of partitions."

When I made the system image I only wanted to image the C: drive. the current partitions are: 200mb system active; C:; D:; OEM partition; and the unallocated space. How do I utilize the unallocated space?

RobertHoweB, Jun 5, 2016
  3. BuzzLS Win User
    Delete Empty Disk Partition in Windows 10

Thanks. However, after deleting the drive, I now have 10.8 GB of "unallocated space." How can I move that to the C drive? I tried to right-click the C drive and use "Extend Drive," but that is greyed out. As I understand it, I can only extend the
    C drive to unallocated space immediately to the right. Unfortunately, I cannot move the volumes on Disk 1. Can I convert the unallocated space to a Simple Volume and then move it? I don't want to reformat the drive. I'm very busy this week and this nonsense
    has already taken too much time - I don't understand why Windows can't give me a simple way to reclaim my unallocated space - especially since the option to delete system files was advertised (by Windows) as a way to free up space. Converting that space to
    a very small volume or to unusable unallocated space is NOT freeing up space!!!!

Unable to create a simple Volume out of unallocated space. [​IMG]

BuzzLS, Jun 5, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

Unable to create a simple Volume out of unallocated space.

you could convert your disk to GPT - but would require UEFI support..

You could convert an existing partition to a logicial / extended partition..

Kyhi, Jun 5, 2016
  5. Wouldn't converting to GPT have the side effect of erasing the entire HDD? My Bios does have UEFI support but Windows 10 is installed on legacy boot.
    How do I convert an existing partition to a logical/extended one as you said, if my drive already has 4 partitions?

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I know there are supposed to be ways to convert a disk to GPT without losing the data, but I, personally, have never gotten that to work with a system boot disk. Others have said they have done it.

You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to convert the primary partition next to the unallocated space to a logical partition and then add the unallocated space as a second logical partition. All logical partitions must be located next to each other. Any partition can be logical except for the system reserved partition the computer boots from - that must stay as a primary partition.

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Before you make major changes to you hard drive, I would suggest having, at a minimum, a recuse disk you can boot your computer from if something goes wrong, like Kyhi's recovery drive. Kyhi's recovery also has MiniTool Partition Wizard on it already:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Even better is to make an image of the existing hard drive - if you have an external storage location to hold it, so that you can easily restore if something goes wrong. Macrium Reflect Free, also on Kyhi's recovery drive, is very good for that:
    Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Jun 5, 2016
  7. Okay, Just installed Easus Partition Master Trial version. So is this what I should do?
    1. Shrink either C or D according to required size, leaving System Recovery and Healthy Recovery partitions alone.
    2. Convert either C or D to logical partition.
    3. Add the unallocated space as a second logical partition to the newly created logical partition.
    4. Now Run the Ubuntu installer, and this second logical partition will show up?

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Steps 1 through 3 are yes. I haven't installed Ubuntu as a dual boot, but step 4 sounds correct. How permanent are you planning on Ubuntu being? Another option would be to install it inside a VM in Windows, that way it won't mess with your hard drive boot sector/files if you want to remove it later.

NavyLCDR, Jun 5, 2016
  9. I plan on testing it for sometime. If I like it I will stick with it..even do away with Windows if I wish although unlikely. About VM, any suggestions for a good VM software?

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jun 5, 2016
  11. Just tested it on Hyper V but its not the same as using it as a full fledged OS. I think I shall try dual booting.

blackbirdabhi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to create a simple Volume out of unallocated space. - Similar Threads - Unable create simple

2. Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...: Actually, I recently installed SSD in my laptop and I deleted the previous c drive where I used to have my window. But it created an unallocated space at the mid of my hard drive. When I am trying to create new volume over the unallocated space it says "There is not enough...
  3. Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...: Actually, I recently installed SSD in my laptop and I deleted the previous c drive where I used to have my window. But it created an unallocated space at the mid of my hard drive. When I am trying to create new volume over the unallocated space it says "There is not enough...
  4. Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to create a new simple volume from free space on drive.

Unable to create a new simple volume from free space on drive.: I am using windows 10 and was trying to extend c drive, without success. The free space on the drive was previously marked as a d drive. I am trying to create a new simple volume using the free space, but am receiving an error message that 'there is not enough space available...
  6. Unable to create a new simple volume from free space on drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create a new simple volume from free space on drive.: I am using windows 10 and was trying to extend c drive, without success. The free space on the drive was previously marked as a d drive. I am trying to create a new simple volume using the free space, but am receiving an error message that 'there is not enough space available...
  7. Unable to create a new simple volume from free space on drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can't create new volume or expand existing volume out of unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't create new volume or expand existing volume out of unallocated space.: [ATTACH] Hello, I just can't stand it anymore. I'm so annoyed and pissed. So I have these partitions and I want to expand my D drive (named "Hitachi") by the 466,28 GB unallocated space. The thing is I can't - "Not enought space to complete this operation", something...
  9. Creating "New Simple Volume" from Unallocated Space

Creating "New Simple Volume" from Unallocated Space: [ATTACH] I mistakenly deleted a partition containing my personal data. Now the disk management shows Unallocated Space. I want to recover it now. Can creating "New Simple Volume" from Unallocated Space restore my lost partition? If it doesn't restore my partition will it...
  10. Cannot create a new simple volume from unallocated space

Cannot create a new simple volume from unallocated space: I want to create a new volume. So I've shrink a volume. Then I got unallocated space. When I try to create a new simple volume I'm getting this type of error. [ATTACH] What should I do? Please suggest me a solution....