Windows 10: Unable to create a windows image backup for new laptop on an external hard drive that...

Discus and support Unable to create a windows image backup for new laptop on an external hard drive that... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there. I have set up a new Sony laptop and I tried to create a windows backup image today, 24 Jan 2021, for it on an external hard drive. However... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TezzaAlex, Jan 23, 2021.

1. TezzaAlex Win User

Unable to create a windows image backup for new laptop on an external hard drive that...

Hi there.

I have set up a new Sony laptop and I tried to create a windows backup image today, 24 Jan 2021, for it on an external hard drive. However after I ran Create System Image the WindowsBackupImage folder indicated that it was created on Saturday, ‎11 ‎January ‎2020, ‏‎1:45:57 PM.

To create the System Image I did the following:

Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore Windows 7\Create a system image

The external hard drive already contained a windows backup image that might be for another laptop, ASUS, that is to be recycled. Maybe the WindowsBackupImage folder was created on Saturday, ‎11 ‎January ‎2020, ‏‎1:45:57 PM is for the old ASUS laptop.

Can you advise me how to create a system image for the Sony on the external hard drive that also contains the system image of the ASUS. Note I am assuming that the system image created on 11 Jan 2020 is for the ASUS.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

TezzaAlex

:)

TezzaAlex, Jan 23, 2021
  2. Ghaleus Win User

Saving System Image Backup to External Hard Drive?

I'm trying to create a backup of my laptop that will include all of my programs, files, photos, settings, licenses, etc. The best option seems to be to use the System Image Backup to do so. Do I have to create the backup on a new, blank external hard drive?
    Or can I create the backup on an external hard drive that already has files and things on it? Would doing so cause any problems later on?

Also, I was told that when creating the system image backup I should also create a Recovery Drive on a separate flash drive. What exactly is the difference? Is it simply that the recovery drive allows you to save a copy of the OS so you can boot into it after
    a crash and then use the System Backup to restore everything?

I'm not the most tech savvy person so not sure if this is a very obvious question. I'm just trying to find a way to create a backup of everything in case the worst happens or I need to move all of my stuff to a new laptop but most places I look are either
    really vague or super techy to the point I don't really understand what they're talking about.

Ghaleus, Jan 23, 2021
  3. External hard drive and Image creation

I have a 2 Terabyte external hard disk (1.82 Free-recently formated) and I am unable to create an Image of my hard disk. Error (0x80780119). My hard disk only has 383 Gb of data to backup. I was able to do it before without any problem.

Windows 10 Pro 64 (1809).

any suggestions?

Martin Desmery, Jan 23, 2021
  4. Unable to create a windows image backup for new laptop on an external hard drive that...

Having trouble creating a backup image

Hello Shane,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 and for being a part of Windows 10 family.

As per the issue description you are unable to create a system image of your computer. I would suggest you to refer the steps provided below and see if it helps you to create a system image.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Control panel from the list.
    • Select large icons under view by option.
    • Open File history.
    • Click the System Image Backup link in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
    • Connect an external USB hard drive with enough free space.
    • In the backup wizard, you'll be prompted to choose from one of the three options to save the backup. For this example, we are going select the hard drive you just connected. However, keep in mind that you can backup to DVD blanks and a network share, but
      these options will slow down the backup process.

Unable to create a windows image backup for new laptop on an external hard drive that... 022d2731-5ebc-450e-a935-4865fd418c2a.png

• Click Next.
    • Confirm and begin the process by clicking Start backup.

Unable to create a windows image backup for new laptop on an external hard drive that... ffeb6690-eebd-4dcd-bcd8-0b7f6a90070f.png

• The backup could take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours, it all depends on the amount of data to be backed up.
    • And yes, during the backup process, you can use your computer as you would normally do.

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any more concern related to Windows. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

Unable to create a windows image backup for new laptop on an external hard drive that...

1. Unable to create a windows image backup for new laptop on an external hard drive that... - Similar Threads - Unable create image

2. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  3. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  4. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Creating a backup on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a backup on an external hard drive: Hello,I wanted to create a backup on an external hard drive Toshiba Canvio. When I connect the drive to the USB port tried all of the available ones in my laptop, I can see the files stored in the drive, save files to the drive and basically perform all the operations on the...
  6. Creating a backup on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a backup on an external hard drive: Hello,I wanted to create a backup on an external hard drive Toshiba Canvio. When I connect the drive to the USB port tried all of the available ones in my laptop, I can see the files stored in the drive, save files to the drive and basically perform all the operations on the...
  7. Creating a backup on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive

Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive: Recently my ssd had started failing so I replaced it with 2 new ones. I'm trying to transfer the os from the old ssd to the new one. I read online that I need to make a system repair disc and a system image. I was able to create the system repair disc with no issues however I...
  9. backup to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    backup to external hard drive: The backup to external hard drive will not perform. All kinds of errors and it says it did not backup. What? Am I so stupid that I cannot tell it what drive to back up to? It wants to choose for me and then does not like it's choice. Where are the real settings so I can...
  10. cant create backup as external hard drive is not recognized as "removable"

cant create backup as external hard drive is not recognized as "removable": Hi there, I am at my wits end... I got a new laptop recently (HP Zbook 15 G4 - 64 bit) with Windows 10pro as I lost my old one in a house fire (with all the backups to) - so I have been trying to configure backup settings - one drive and external hard drive as this laptop...