Windows 10: Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space

Discus and support Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I just assembled a new PC. It has a single 4TB hard drive. During Windows 10 installation, I created a 200gb partition to install to as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by faralcane, Jan 26, 2016.

1. faralcane Win User

Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space

Hello,

I just assembled a new PC. It has a single 4TB hard drive. During Windows 10 installation, I created a 200gb partition to install to as the C: drive. It auto partitioned my drive into a 500MB system reserved partition, my C: drive, and two unallocated spaces of 1852.69GB and 1678.02GB respectively. The 1852GB space I can create a partition on, but the 1678GB space I cannot do anything with: Cannot create a partition, and cannot combine it with the rest of the unallocated space.

I would like to combine the two unallocated spaces to create a single partition from the remaining unallocated spaces, but cannot figure out how. I contacted Microsoft tech support via chat, allowed them to remote in to my machine, but they could not determine the issue either. If anyone could shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space [​IMG]

:)

faralcane, Jan 26, 2016

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Jan 26, 2016
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CUnable to create/combine partition from unallocated space :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Jan 26, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

It looks to me as if you have done a legacy bios install not an eufi install.

You need EUFI to access all of disk space (max for bios is 2.2GB).

Open up a command vprompt with admin rights and run these commands and post image.

diskpart

list disk

Also tell us if a 32bit or 64bit install.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  5. faralcane Win User
    That sounds possible. OS installed is Win 10 Pro, 64-bit

faralcane, Jan 27, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - this is a legacy bios install. Is pc eufi capable?

cereberus, Jan 27, 2016
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Problems with your setup:
    • Your MB does not support UEFI so when you install Windows, The HD was initialized with the old legacy MBR. With MBR, the max size is ~2TB usable, making the rest unusable.
    • You need to get a smaller size HD < 2TB to use with MBR type disk to install Windows so the whole disk is usable.
    • You can still use your 4TB as data disk, just re-initialize the disk to be GPT type disk then the whole disk will be available.

topgundcp, Jan 27, 2016
  8. faralcane Win User

I was looking into that after cereberus above mentioned uefi; I was not aware this MB didn't support it. Not a huge deal, I can buy a second hard drive and reinstall. I bought the board due to needing Micro ATX form factor due to size constraints.

Any idea if I'll have problems reinstalling 10 and trying to use the same key with different hardware configuration?

faralcane, Jan 27, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    Changing disk doesn't affect activation - it will be fine. I'd get a small cheap SSD for the OS and use your current drive for data if it was me.

10. cereberus Win User
    There are 3rd pary tools like seagates diskwizard that will allow you to access the extra space on an mbr boot drive.

But sdd for OS plus converting hdd to gpt as suggested by lx07 and topgundcp is really best way to go.

Use Macrium Reflect Free to clone existing W10 install to SSD, and then boot pc, run msconfig, select boot tab and set ssd drive as default (will probably still be hdd). You may be able to choose ssd as default from bios (some bioses don't).

Once you have booted from sdd, do following

open command prompt with admin rights and run

diskpart

list disk

sel disk n (n= number of hdd - tell by capacity)

clean (wipes everything)

convert gpt

cre par pri

sel par 1

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

exit

Drive will now show all capacity.

cereberus, Jan 27, 2016
  11. lx07 Win User
    @cereberus, I hope you don't think I'm trying to be prescriptive (or annoying) here but using
    Code:
     xxx 
    tags and not using abbreviations might make it a bit clearer. Code: diskpart list disk select disk n (n= number of hdd - tell by capacity) clean (wipes everything) convert gpt create partition primary seectl partition 1 format fs=ntfs quick assign exit exit[/quote] I mean cre par pri for create partition primary is a bit gobbledegook and makes a simple procedure sound more complicated than it is.

But I agree with what you said - it was only the layout I thought might be confusing.

12. topgundcp Win User
    Since you have a 4TB hdd. It is plenty to store your personal data. All you need is an SSD 120GB, 240GB is better. The price for the SSD is no longer that expensive. Windows does not take lots of space, small SSD will be easier to maintain/backup Windows.
    All you need: using Macrium Reflect Free to make a backup image of the current Windows 10 to an external HD, or even shrink your 4TB HD enough to store the backup. Again, with your SSD connected, click on Restore tab then restore the image to the SSD, set BIOS to boot from SSD as first boot device. Reboot, you're back in business.

topgundcp, Jan 27, 2016
  13. faralcane Win User

Thanks guys. I've ordered a SSD and should be here Saturday. I'll post results after I install it.

faralcane, Jan 27, 2016
  14. First, I'm so happy I found this thread and thanks to 'farclane' for asking the question and to 'cereberus' for the answer. For 1.5 days, about 10 hours searching for an answer and now it has been solved.
    Thanks
    Leo

leotheplumber, Jan 27, 2016
  15. cereberus Win User
    I mean cre par pri for create partition primary is a bit gobbledegook and makes a simple procedure sound more complicated than it is.

But I agree with what you said - it was only the layout I thought might be confusing.[/quote]
    yeah fair point - i just know these off by heart!

cereberus, Jan 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space - Similar Threads - Unable create combine

2. Deleted Ubuntu partition. Now the space shows as "unallocated". Unable to create a new...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted Ubuntu partition. Now the space shows as "unallocated". Unable to create a new...: When I try to right click and create a "new simple volume" , I get an error that says there is not enough disk space. I also tried reinstalling Ubuntu to check if I can install again on this disk space. How can I get back this disk space/reinstall on this unallocated space?...
  3. Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...: Actually, I recently installed SSD in my laptop and I deleted the previous c drive where I used to have my window. But it created an unallocated space at the mid of my hard drive. When I am trying to create new volume over the unallocated space it says "There is not enough...
  4. Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...: Actually, I recently installed SSD in my laptop and I deleted the previous c drive where I used to have my window. But it created an unallocated space at the mid of my hard drive. When I am trying to create new volume over the unallocated space it says "There is not enough...
  5. Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning): Hi, I have a 250 GB SSD that I just installed Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.329 on. I'd like to create a new, 20 GB partition of unallocated space at the end of this drive. However, it appears that during installation, the Windows 10 setup created a 500 MB recovery...
  7. Create a new partition from unallocated space made all other partition logical partition...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create a new partition from unallocated space made all other partition logical partition...: Hi, Today I tried creating a new logical partition via device manager, where there was 38 GB of unallocated space. On following the process, I ended up in a disasters state where all but 2 logical partition turned into unallocated space. I did not do further, and when...
  8. How combine unallocated space and add to C: partition?

How combine unallocated space and add to C: partition?: Below is a screenshot made by MiniTool Free Edition. I would like to combine the two unallocated spaces and add the space to the C: partition. Do I need the paid version to do this? Attachment 96363 60387
  9. Combine Unallocated space to System Partition

Combine Unallocated space to System Partition: Greetings all, I had 2 useless partitions, one at the very beginning of my HD and the second at the very end. My setup is GPT Basic btw. I would like to know, using MiniTool Partition Wizard version 9.1, if it is possible to merge these former partitions (now...
  10. Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition

Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition: I just cloned my 250 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD and installed the 500 GB SSD into my laptop. There is about 228 GB that is unallocated. I want to extend the D partition to use all of this unallocated space (unless it's a good idea to leave some space unallocated)? I've...