Windows 10: Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space

Discus and support Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Shipping delay so drive didn't arrive until today. You guys are magical! There was a step missing in the instructions from @cereberus after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by faralcane, Jan 26, 2016.

1. faralcane Win User

Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space

Shipping delay so drive didn't arrive until today.

You guys are magical! There was a step missing in the instructions from @cereberus after selecting partition about selecting volume but that was easy enough to figure out. Also did not need to go into msconfig to swap boot device; not sure if that is because I installed the new SSD on the SATA port the HDD used to be on, and moved the HDD to a different SATA port on the motherboard?

Anyway! Worked!

Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space [​IMG]

faralcane, Feb 2, 2016
  2. topgundcp Win User

You did good. Looks perfect

topgundcp, Feb 2, 2016
  3. cereberus Win User
    I have never needed to select a volume before doing my steps. Not sure why you needed to do that. Glad you sussed it.

Re ssd and sata 0. You are probably correct. Some older pcs do not give option to boot from a specific fixed drive, and unless set otherwise in msconfig, just default to sata 0.

cereberus, Feb 2, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

There are 2 options in the BIOS needed to be set whether with older PC or newer PC and read during POST.

• Boot Priority
    • Boot Order

MsConfig has nothing to do with setting which Fixed disk to boot from old or new PC. Options set in Msconfig will modify the BCD such as: set display order in dual boot, timeout, safemode etc....

display order <===============> bcdedit /displayorder {GUID} {GUID}
    set timeout in msconfig <=======> bcdedit /timeout <timeout>
    safemode <=================> bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal
    etc....

topgundcp, Feb 2, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Only option on my sony bios is boot order - not priority. I use msconfig with dual boot 8/10 but they are on same drive.

Must admit I haven't tried dual boot when on separate drives, so I accept I could be wrong about msconfig in that case.

cereberus, Feb 2, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Boot Order selects what type of device to look for first: Removable/HD/DVD etc...
    Boot Priority selects which one within the list of same type of devices such as HD's, DVD's etc...

If your Sony is an old laptop which can only have 1 HD, 1 DVD then there's no need for the priority option to be existed in BIOS.

topgundcp, Feb 2, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Yeah that is probably it. I actually changed dvd drive for an hdd but wonder what would happen if I set dvd as boot priority as have a bootable backup OS on hdd.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space - Similar Threads - Unable create combine

2. Deleted Ubuntu partition. Now the space shows as "unallocated". Unable to create a new...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted Ubuntu partition. Now the space shows as "unallocated". Unable to create a new...: When I try to right click and create a "new simple volume" , I get an error that says there is not enough disk space. I also tried reinstalling Ubuntu to check if I can install again on this disk space. How can I get back this disk space/reinstall on this unallocated space?...
  3. Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...: Actually, I recently installed SSD in my laptop and I deleted the previous c drive where I used to have my window. But it created an unallocated space at the mid of my hard drive. When I am trying to create new volume over the unallocated space it says "There is not enough...
  4. Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...: Actually, I recently installed SSD in my laptop and I deleted the previous c drive where I used to have my window. But it created an unallocated space at the mid of my hard drive. When I am trying to create new volume over the unallocated space it says "There is not enough...
  5. Unable to assign unallocated space to any of the partition or to create a new volume from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning): Hi, I have a 250 GB SSD that I just installed Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.329 on. I'd like to create a new, 20 GB partition of unallocated space at the end of this drive. However, it appears that during installation, the Windows 10 setup created a 500 MB recovery...
  7. Create a new partition from unallocated space made all other partition logical partition...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create a new partition from unallocated space made all other partition logical partition...: Hi, Today I tried creating a new logical partition via device manager, where there was 38 GB of unallocated space. On following the process, I ended up in a disasters state where all but 2 logical partition turned into unallocated space. I did not do further, and when...
  8. How combine unallocated space and add to C: partition?

How combine unallocated space and add to C: partition?: Below is a screenshot made by MiniTool Free Edition. I would like to combine the two unallocated spaces and add the space to the C: partition. Do I need the paid version to do this? Attachment 96363 60387
  9. Combine Unallocated space to System Partition

Combine Unallocated space to System Partition: Greetings all, I had 2 useless partitions, one at the very beginning of my HD and the second at the very end. My setup is GPT Basic btw. I would like to know, using MiniTool Partition Wizard version 9.1, if it is possible to merge these former partitions (now...
  10. Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition

Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition: I just cloned my 250 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD and installed the 500 GB SSD into my laptop. There is about 228 GB that is unallocated. I want to extend the D partition to use all of this unallocated space (unless it's a good idea to leave some space unallocated)? I've...