Windows 10: Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

Discus and support Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Mainly when I play games I just like to double click on the desktop shortcut and launch the application...but for whatever reason games from launchers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BenH_9, Dec 1, 2021.

1. BenH_9 Win User

Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

Mainly when I play games I just like to double click on the desktop shortcut and launch the application...but for whatever reason games from launchers like the Microsoft Store, Xbox PC app, Epic Games, and Steam just create blank .url files on my desktop when using the built-in options in the launchers to create these desktop shortcuts. I've gone through support for Epic and Steam and nothing helped and they said to reach out to Windows support. I've done all the basic things like verifying game files, uninstalling and reinstalling games, uninstalling and reinstalling the launchers, made sure

:)

BenH_9, Dec 1, 2021
  2. SaraTee Win User

Create desktop shortcuts to websites with Edge

If I'm shopping away in IE and create a shortcut to that webpage on the desktop from IE, if I haven't cleared my cache, it remembers the stuff in my cart for the IE shortcut (for as long as the cookie is good, not just a shopping cart but other similar pages).
    I can't do this in Edge unless I create a Favorite for it IN Edge. Then there is no nice quick link from my desktop, I have to open Edge and select the Favorite. Used this many times with IE desktop links when Black Friday shopping.

Point is it's annoying because Microsoft wants Edge to be the default browser but then the Microsoft employee on here responds with the suggestion to send it to IE to create a Desktop shortcut. I'm using Edge on my Android phone and I can send a shortcut
    for a webpage to the Android Launcher - but I can't do the same with Edge on my Windows 10 computer?

It is a very basic task that should not require multiple steps of opening another application to create a desktop shortcut is the point I think of the OP.

SaraTee, Dec 1, 2021
  3. Amit_Sun Win User
    Create Ethernet adapter shortcut on the desktop.

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To create the Ethernet shortcut on your desktop, you can follow the step provided below.

Step: Create Ethernet shortcut on the desktop.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Type in ncpa.cpl
      and hit enter.
    3. You will see all your network adapter.
    4. Right click on your desired adapter and click on
      Create Shortcut and allow the prompt.
    5. Or you can drag and drop the network adapter on the desktop that will create a shortcut too.
    6. You can now right on the shortcut on your desktop and disable and enable internet connection.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Dec 1, 2021
  4. Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 1, 2021
Thema:

Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

1. Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers - Similar Threads - Unable create desktop

2. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  3. Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers: Mainly when I play games I just like to double click on the desktop shortcut and launch the application...but for whatever reason games from launchers like the Microsoft Store, Xbox PC app, Epic Games, and Steam just create blank .url files on my desktop when using the...
  4. Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers: Mainly when I play games I just like to double click on the desktop shortcut and launch the application...but for whatever reason games from launchers like the Microsoft Store, Xbox PC app, Epic Games, and Steam just create blank .url files on my desktop when using the...
  5. Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut: I am creating a new thread since my original problem "Unable to create Desktop Short cut nor New Folder in Windows 10" has been closed as solved. Wanted to report the following for those who responded to the problem: Feedback Report I have logged as Administrator and found...
  6. Send to - Desktop (create shortcut)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Send to - Desktop (create shortcut): Basically, i want to remove "send to" from the right click menu and in it's place, just have "Desktop (create shortcut)". So, you right click an icon and can immediately make the shortcut to the desktop without sliding the menu out. i never use any of the other shortcuts and...
  7. unable to create desktop shortcut Win 10 v1903

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to create desktop shortcut Win 10 v1903: Since installing Canon Pixma TS3122 I lost the MSN desktop shortcut and am unable to reinstall it. Any fix? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-create-desktop-shortcut-win-10-v1903/567ab7a2-8376-41f8-81dc-64144af0c4e8
  8. Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut: Hi everyone. I am having a problem after virus infecting (actually it happened few months ago). After removing the virus, my desktop icons and files on desktop are not shown, while they are still in Desktop folder. Also, I can't create new shortcut. So how can I fix it? Thank...
  9. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  10. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345