Windows 10: Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders

Discus and support Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, as with many I have upgraded to Windows 10 today and it is going well except for the fact I am unable to save any files or create new ones in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tailsy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Tailsy Win User

Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders

Hi, as with many I have upgraded to Windows 10 today and it is going well except for the fact I am unable to save any files or create new ones in the Documents and Pictures folders or any sub-folders within these folders, and I have no idea why it is doing this. For instance, I tried to save an image created in paint and attempted to save it in the Pictures folder, it gave me the error message seen in this picture below:

Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders [​IMG]

Note, I am the only user on the system, and also the admin account so I do not know why it says this. Clicking Yes on the box does nothing and the same thing still occurs afterward. In addition, bringing up the right click menu and going to new only allows me to create a new folder, and the windows admin shield icon appears next to it. Deleting files also prompts me to ask for admin permission but in that case I can simply click the continue button and it goes through. Any advice?

:)

Tailsy, Jul 29, 2015

2. " NOKIA X2 " How to Hide Files (Photos/Videos) from Gallery view..??

hi .. i hav found one trick by which we can hide all photos and videos/mp3 from gallery.

m using this ith my nokia c3 . very nice privacy trick.

Best Way To Hide Files Folders in Nokia s40 Symbian OS

rockpop989, Jul 29, 2015
  3. " NOKIA X2 " How to Hide Files (Photos/Videos) from Gallery view..??

S40 WHAT AN OUTDATED VERSION OF SOFTWARE NOKIA X2 IS HAVING...Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders :(

VERY VERY DISAPOINTED Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders :(

sharanukumar, Jul 29, 2015
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

Open the folders properties and got to the security tab and change permissions for your account, if you can't change permissions take ownership of the folder, if you can't take ownership of the folder activate the super administrator account and change permissions and/or ownership.

There are lots of guides on how to do all of that if you need more detailed steps.

5. Tailsy Win User
    Thanks, I've managed to get it working by changing my permissions. For some reason those two folders didn't have my user account listed in the permissions, idk why so I had to manually add my user account to the list. Thanks for the help man.

Tailsy, Jul 29, 2015
  6. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Good one.

It must have had trouble getting ownership/permissions due to how your previous install had set security. It may occur with other folders on your system so just do the same thing if it crops up again.

7. rspitzer Win User
    This has turned into a nightmare for me! I have 4 computers that I upgraded to Windows 10 including one tablet. All of them now have this issue. I can change the permissions, even take ownership but the next time the machine restarts the permissions disappear. My user name is removed from the security for the Documents, pictures and videos folders.
    I also have trouble running simple things like Excel 2013! The first time I started it I got errors trying to access the customization folder to add templates!
    This is very, very bad Microsoft.

rspitzer, Aug 7, 2015
  8. BonsaiGuy Win User

I also could not save and files were opened as "Read Only"
    I tried all of the suggestions and ended up backing up everything and starting with a clean install of Windows 7 then upgraded to Windows 10. After restoring my files everything is working as it should.

BonsaiGuy, Aug 8, 2015
  9. rspitzer Win User
    It might be OK for someone to do this for one machine but I have 2 servers and 6 machines now with this issue. I cannot spend that much time trying to fix something Onedrive has messed up. MS needs to fix this NOW! The only thing I could do at this point was stop Onedrive from running on all my machines except the server and then use the server to access the files. Ok for desktops but not for laptops that are out of the office. The whole idea behind onedrive was to be able to access my files wherever I am whenever I want.

rspitzer, Aug 8, 2015
  10. figment Win User
    More info on the OneDrive bug, if anyone would like to take a look:

Default Settings Causing Major - Microsoft Community

figment, Aug 8, 2015
  11. rspitzer Win User
    I found the above link to Microsoft answers site earlier today and it essentially says 'Yes there is a bug, No Microsoft does not have a fix for it!'
    there is not foolproof workaround either other than not using Onedrive at all.

rspitzer, Aug 8, 2015
  12. figment Win User
    Thanks for checking it out! I started that thread after having multiple issues on my own system and working out a non-destructive, permanent fix. I've been trying to get Microsoft's attention without much success so far. *Sad

Edit: Unfortunately most users who are having these problems don't realize it's related to OneDrive, or just how widespread in scope it is. It's not universal, but it's definitely global...

figment, Aug 8, 2015
  13. rspitzer Win User

Yeah, MS seems to be conspicuously absent in the discussions on this issue. I support over a 150 PC's running windows 7 and 8 and 8 servers. The issue of having to download all the files to every computer really destroys the usefulness of Onedrive. Companies do not want all of the Onedrive files downloaded to every computer. The basic concept of Onedrive was changed without consulting the user base. It was fully functional for me and my clients the way it was, need a file download it, view or edit it and save it. You can still do this by using Internet explorer and logging in to one drive but it is not very elegant any more.
    I tried your fix and it worked for some computers for a while but not permanently. I certainly do not want to have to do this on many, many computers and it is not for everyone to do this type of fix.

rspitzer, Aug 8, 2015
  14. BonsaiGuy Win User
    I was not suggesting that this would be a fix for everyone. I just posted it because it worked for me and it might work for someone else rather than spending hours searching for the proper fix.

BonsaiGuy, Aug 8, 2015
  15. figment Win User
    It's important to note that you must follow through with all of the steps including disabling OneDrive, "stop-sharing" it's "Shares", any "Shares" that were altered by OneDrive, and delete OneDrive's sync file and folders, which should be empty anyway. After reboot, do not turn on OneDrive or allow it to re-create the shares or its folders. Recreate the affected "Shares" with appropriate permissions, check your other advanced security permissions, reboot again and the settings should persist. (Removing the corrupted shares and re-creating them without OneDrive's intervention was the only way I could get the correct parameters to "stick" on my system.)

You are completely correct in your assumption that this is only for advanced users. We shouldn't have fix this on our own.

figment, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders - Similar Threads - Unable create save

2. Create a new documents or pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a new documents or pictures folder: Hi, I accidentally deleted documents and pictures folder from C:\Users\"My User"\I guess you can not just create a folder there and you have to do something with the registry, but I'm not sure what to do?I want the documents and pictures folder back :...
  3. Create a new documents or pictures folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a new documents or pictures folder: Hi, I accidentally deleted documents and pictures folder from C:\Users\"My User"\I guess you can not just create a folder there and you have to do something with the registry, but I'm not sure what to do?I want the documents and pictures folder back :...
  4. Suddenly unable to save files into Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Suddenly unable to save files into Documents folder: Recently, some of the applications on my computer are unable to save files to folders in the Documents directory. It started with Notepad and Paint. Now I can't create and save in Paint 3D either. I was successfully using the Snipping Tool to copy and save images from those...
  5. Unable to change location of Documents or Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change location of Documents or Pictures folder: When I bring up the Document Properties window, and click on the Location tab, the window id missing the 3 buttons (Restore Default, Move, Find Target) that everyone else seems to have. And the path field is not editable. Any ideas? 155160
  6. unable to save files to Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to save files to Documents: I can save files to Desktop but not to Documents . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-save-files-to-documents/bdd17454-6a52-48bf-bb4d-a48fe6eab323
  7. Unable to create file or folder in Documents folder: 0x80070781

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to create file or folder in Documents folder: 0x80070781: I am unable to create a file or folder in the Documents folder (C:\Users\...\OneDrive\Documents). "The name of the file cannot be resolved by the system". I am able to create files and folders in the OneDrive folder, just not the Documents subfolder. How can I fix this?...
  8. Unable to save anything to Document folder and sub folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to save anything to Document folder and sub folder: I just reinstalled Windows 10 Pro using the method outlined here. Basically I used an ISO which I made via a download from MS. Now I am unable to save any kind of file to my Document folder or sub-folder. I get access denied. Looks like MS lied again. This method was to save...
  9. Saving pictures to a picture folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving pictures to a picture folder: I went into my pc and opened up the pictures folder. I created a new folder within the folder. I drag and dropped a picture into the folder. I tried to drag and drop a second picture into the folder and it said I couldn't because there was already a file of the same name....
  10. Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders: When I try to change the location of the documents folder and the pictures folder, I get a message, "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied." I get this message whether or not I choose to move the files...