Windows 10: Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders

Discus and support Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Thanks guys so much. I think I'm a lucky one. I've disabled OneDrive and done nothing else and I have my computer back. I can save things - open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tailsy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Bell98 Win User

Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders

Thanks guys so much. I think I'm a lucky one. I've disabled OneDrive and done nothing else and I have my computer back. I can save things - open Thunderbird etc. etc. I was tearing my hair out, I'm not going to do the advanced user stuff as I'll only do more damage.
    Well done.

Bell98, Aug 8, 2015
  2. figment Win User

I spent days on this, quite literally, before I was able to figure it out...I just hope that my own experiences can help others that might be in the same boat.

figment, Aug 9, 2015
  3. figment Win User
    Glad to hear it! *Smile

figment, Aug 9, 2015
  4. Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders

Solved it in my case by adding the my username to the security-tab of the properties of my document-directory (...User\me\documents)

TimvanSteenberg, Aug 13, 2015
  5. songbird Win User
    My problem is I cannot find a simple 'My documents' or 'My Pictures' button anywhere! Where are they? My computer is a workhorse, for writing mostly. I do not need loads of games apps, movie apps and all that; I just want to be able to d=sort and find documents. And I don't only want it via Word because some are pdfs. I sometimes think computer bods forget that ordinary domestic use computers are not always for entertainment!

songbird, Aug 13, 2015
  6. figment Win User
    If you have the default setup, these folders would be located at c:\users (backslash) "your username"\Documents and c:\users (backslash) "your username"\Pictures. These should be accessible through file explorer via the path above and/or listed under user folders.

figment, Aug 15, 2015
  7. mcarky Win User
    We here in NZ have just had this dumped on us. You would have thought with all the negative feedback in the US and associated failures, MS would have sorted their act out first. Personally I have a repeat of the issues above and will try disabling the One drive also. Ideally I would prefer to just hit the back button and go back to Windows 7, wait until 2020 and pay for the new improved version.

mcarky, Aug 15, 2015
  8. songbird Win User

Thank you very much, figment. At least I have now found them (though I will continu to miss the immediately accessible button that used to be there on Windows 8.*Smile

songbird, Aug 15, 2015
  9. figment Win User
    There are a couple of things you can do...search for "desktop icons" in settings and check the boxes for those you wish to appear. In the start menu settings there are switches for folders to show on the start menu. When viewing in file explorer, right click on the folder and select "send to desktop (create shortcut)".

figment, Aug 16, 2015
  10. RNRegina Win User
    I went to Properties of One Drive, but could not figure how to disable it.

RNRegina, Aug 30, 2015
  11. BonsaiGuy Win User
    On the lower right corner click on the up arrow for "Hidden Icons" then right click on the cloud, then on settings and un check the box run one drive at start up

BonsaiGuy, Aug 30, 2015
  12. rspitzer Win User
    Looks like the last update rollups MS issued on Friday Aug 29th fixed this issue. I can now start OneDrive again and sync my folders without it messing up my documents and pictures folders. Make sure all 3 of the updates issued on the 28th/29th are installed. I am still not too happy that I have to have all my files from OneDrive on every computer though. It worked fine the way it was just pulling the file I wanted when I wanted it.

rspitzer, Aug 30, 2015
  13. RNRegina Win User

Lower right corner of what screen?

RNRegina, Aug 30, 2015
  14. BonsaiGuy Win User
    to the left of the date and time

BonsaiGuy, Aug 30, 2015
  15. Renerod Win User
    Ever since BitDefender added the Ransomware feature, it won't let ANY "NEW" PROGRAM (a program BitDefender does not recognize) write to any of my folders. I had to go into the "Programs I trust" area of BitDefender, add the name of the .exe program I was running to the list of "trusted programs", and Voila!, no more blocking of my attempts to write to a folder. (I hope I'm writing this is the right space. This is my first use of this forum. I thought you might find this useful)

I

Renerod, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders - Similar Threads - Unable create save

2. Create a new documents or pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a new documents or pictures folder: Hi, I accidentally deleted documents and pictures folder from C:\Users\"My User"\I guess you can not just create a folder there and you have to do something with the registry, but I'm not sure what to do?I want the documents and pictures folder back :...
  3. Create a new documents or pictures folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a new documents or pictures folder: Hi, I accidentally deleted documents and pictures folder from C:\Users\"My User"\I guess you can not just create a folder there and you have to do something with the registry, but I'm not sure what to do?I want the documents and pictures folder back :...
  4. Suddenly unable to save files into Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Suddenly unable to save files into Documents folder: Recently, some of the applications on my computer are unable to save files to folders in the Documents directory. It started with Notepad and Paint. Now I can't create and save in Paint 3D either. I was successfully using the Snipping Tool to copy and save images from those...
  5. Unable to change location of Documents or Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change location of Documents or Pictures folder: When I bring up the Document Properties window, and click on the Location tab, the window id missing the 3 buttons (Restore Default, Move, Find Target) that everyone else seems to have. And the path field is not editable. Any ideas? 155160
  6. unable to save files to Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to save files to Documents: I can save files to Desktop but not to Documents . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-save-files-to-documents/bdd17454-6a52-48bf-bb4d-a48fe6eab323
  7. Unable to create file or folder in Documents folder: 0x80070781

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to create file or folder in Documents folder: 0x80070781: I am unable to create a file or folder in the Documents folder (C:\Users\...\OneDrive\Documents). "The name of the file cannot be resolved by the system". I am able to create files and folders in the OneDrive folder, just not the Documents subfolder. How can I fix this?...
  8. Unable to save anything to Document folder and sub folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to save anything to Document folder and sub folder: I just reinstalled Windows 10 Pro using the method outlined here. Basically I used an ISO which I made via a download from MS. Now I am unable to save any kind of file to my Document folder or sub-folder. I get access denied. Looks like MS lied again. This method was to save...
  9. Saving pictures to a picture folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving pictures to a picture folder: I went into my pc and opened up the pictures folder. I created a new folder within the folder. I drag and dropped a picture into the folder. I tried to drag and drop a second picture into the folder and it said I couldn't because there was already a file of the same name....
  10. Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders: When I try to change the location of the documents folder and the pictures folder, I get a message, "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied." I get this message whether or not I choose to move the files...