Windows 10: Unable to create "RecoveryDrive" in Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to create "RecoveryDrive" in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The problem is probably that the recovery environment is not set to the proper locations of the recovery files. Here's my story: Nextbook Flexx 10.1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rwrider, Oct 21, 2015.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Unable to create "RecoveryDrive" in Windows 10

The problem is probably that the recovery environment is not set to the proper locations of the recovery files. Here's my story:

Nextbook Flexx 10.1 upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. Had two recovery partitions - 500mb created by Windows 10, and 5+gb factory with Windows 8.1. Using MiniTool Partition Wizard, I assigned drive letters to both recovery partitions - R: and T:. On the 5+gb Windows 8.1 recovery partition T: was a folder called Windows Images. Inside that folder was install.wim. This is the custom OS install file that is used to completely restore the computer. Your folder might be named something different, but install.wim is the file.

I copied the entire Windows Images folder to my C: drive. Then I deleted the 5+gb factory recovery partition. I expanded the Windows 10 500mb partition into the free space, making it almost 6gb in size. There is a hidden system folder in the Windows 10 recovery partition called Recover\WindowsRE. Inside this folder is windowsre.wim. (I might be mistaken, but the file name is close to that). That is the actual recovery environment. Leave that alone. I moved the Windows Images folder to the Windows 10 recovery partition R:, so now I have Recovery\WindowsRE and Windows Images on it. Then I shrunk the recovery partition to the smallest size it would allow me to, and expanded the C: drive partition into the free space.

Then I pointed the recovery agent to the proper locations in an elevated command prompt:
    REAGENTC.EXE /setreimage /path r:\Recovery\WindowsRE

That sets the actual "restart into recovery" function to the WindowsRE path that contains windowsre.wim.

REAGENTC.EXE /setosimage /path "r:\Windows Images" /index 1

That sets the "restore OS" function to the folder containing install.wim. Notice the quotes required, because the folder name contains a space. Index 1 means the first "folder" within install.wim (which normally contains only 1 index or "folder" anyway).

REAGENTC.EXE /enable

Turns it all on.

Now, I have a working Windows 10 recovery environment which when told to restore the OS will actually re-install the factory Windows 8.1 OS. If you don't have reagentc.exe /setreimage to the folder containing the windowsre.wim file, you cannot create a recovery drive. If you don't have reagentc.exe /setosimage to the folder containing the install.wim file, you cannot add the system files to the recovery drive.

After everything is all set up, you can go back and remove the drive letter(s) from the recovery partition(s).

Your create recovery drive function is not working because reagentc.exe is not pointing to the correct locations.

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2015
  2. Slugger Win User

I tried to Create a recovery drive and was successful. It did take a while. If your wondering I don't have a recovery partition on my drive.

Unable to create "RecoveryDrive" in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Slugger, Nov 1, 2015
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    WindowsRE and install.wim do not have to be in a specific recovery partition, but they do have to be on the system and reagentc.exe has to have the correct location of them set.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unable to create "RecoveryDrive" in Windows 10

1. Unable to create "RecoveryDrive" in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable create RecoveryDrive

2. Unable to create account Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to create account Windows 10: It is missing and I cant proceed. I need to create new account in the computer for my brother. I need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-create-account-windows-10/95581f37-34ba-4ca6-b0a8-6db88ea073d6
  3. Unable to create account Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create account Windows 10: It is missing and I cant proceed. I need to create new account in the computer for my brother. I need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-create-account-windows-10/95581f37-34ba-4ca6-b0a8-6db88ea073d6
  4. Unable to create account Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to create restore point Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to create restore point Windows 10: I have been doing "Restore points" for my Computers for years every a few weeks.But I am unable to create Restore point today in one of my desktop computer and got the following message after failed;"The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The write...
  6. Unable to create restore point Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create restore point Windows 10: I have been doing "Restore points" for my Computers for years every a few weeks.But I am unable to create Restore point today in one of my desktop computer and got the following message after failed;"The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The write...
  7. Unable to create new folder in Windows 10

Unable to create new folder in Windows 10: Hi Community,I am using windows 21H2 version and not able to create a new folder anywhere.Have tried few troubleshooting - SFC /scannow - No luckDisabled services from msconfig - still nothing.Checked write, modify, etc. permissions from...
  8. Unable to create Windows 10 bootlog

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to create Windows 10 bootlog: I have upgraded my Windows home edition to 20 H2 and it is taking too long to log on to Windows. I decided to enable the bootlog in C:\Windows via the Windows configuration utility. The problem is that the log isn't being created. The log is still ticked in the config...
  9. Unable to create PIN in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to create PIN in Windows 10: I re-installed Windows. I am admin; had PIN .. it was working well and one fine day it asked me to reset PIN which I am unable to do. I used troubleshooting tool in other thread. I am admin.. NGC folder is empty. What to do now?...
  10. Unable to create folders in Windows 10 Mail

Unable to create folders in Windows 10 Mail: Hi, For some reason i cannot create folders or sub-folders in Mail....... whenever I try I receive the following message [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-create-folders-in-windows-10-mail/19b14330-3859-4808-af46-e0428fdd2be6