Windows 10: Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer

Discus and support Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been having issues creating internet URL shortcuts in folders in Windows Explorer lately. This is in an office domain environment, and the folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PatrickGSR94, May 14, 2020.

1. Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer

I've been having issues creating internet URL shortcuts in folders in Windows Explorer lately. This is in an office domain environment, and the folders are stored on a Windows Server 2012 R2 box. My workstation is Win10 1909 Build 18363.592.

I routinely create links in ShareFile that point to project folders there, and store that link as a Shortcut in the corresponding project file on our server. I do this by creating the SF link, copying to clipboard, then right-click in Windows Explorer > New > Shortcut > paste URL and give it a name. Then it pops up with this message:

Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer [​IMG]

I hit OK then I see this message, along with the shortcut file with a different icon. I have no idea why it thinks it already exists.

When I right-click and go to Properties of the resulting file, it says it's a "New Internet Shortcut" .url file, but there is no target listed, and double-clicking the file results in a message about "The target "" of this internet shortcut is not valid".

If I delete the shortcut, and go through the same process again, usually it will create the proper shortcut (with a Firefox-style icon) the second time, with the proper URL target. Although sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get it to "take". And once it does, double-clicking the shortcut opens Firefox (my default browser) and goes straight to the URL link. What's going on here?

:)

PatrickGSR94, May 14, 2020

2. Where is internet options in tools, ability to add toolbars and how to save or create shortcut ?

Hi Kenneth,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

We need more information to help you better.

• Where do you exactly want to view the internet options in tools? Is it in Internet Explorer/EDGE browser/any other source?

• Where exactly you need to add the toolbars? Is it in browser?
    If you need to create shortcut and access through desktop, follow the below steps.

• Open the Desktop, right click on empty area on desktop and click on
      New->Shortcut.

• Enter the url which you have copied from the Microsoft EDGE/Internet explorer in the
      Type the location of the item text box. (Open the EDGE browser/Internet explorer, copy the URL which you need to create the shortcut on desktop by pressing CTRL + C keys on the keyboard and paste it in the text box as suggested in the step
      2 by pasting the URL by pressing CTRL + V keys on the keyboard)

• Click on Next button and then click on
      Finish
      button.

• Now the shortcut will be created on desktop.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, May 14, 2020
  3. Create desktop shortcuts to websites with Edge

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open a webpage in Microsoft Edge.
    • Click the three dots at top right corner.
    • Choose Open with Internet Explorer.
    • Right Click and click on create shortcut.
    • The shortcut shall open in Microsoft Edge, if it is your default browser.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, May 14, 2020
  4. Suprub93 Win User

Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer

Unable to uninstall Internet explorer 8

i tried doing it, but when i click on windows internet explorer 8, the delete/remove option doesnt appear. the only one i see that can be removed is called Update for windows internet explorer 8, when i try to delete this one, it shows me a list of programs that may be affected or my not run properly if i remove it, what should i do....should i give it a try and then install version 7, will version 7 fix what they are saying.

Suprub93, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer

1. Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer - Similar Threads - Unable Create Shortcut

2. Unable to delete a web link shortcut.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete a web link shortcut.: I've been deleting a bunch of onedrive data in association to my college's account, now that I have completed the course, but I'm stuck with this random weblink shortcut:I hope someone can help me deal with this issue.The black bar btw is for the sake of hiding the...
  3. Unable to delete a web link shortcut.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete a web link shortcut.: I've been deleting a bunch of onedrive data in association to my college's account, now that I have completed the course, but I'm stuck with this random weblink shortcut:I hope someone can help me deal with this issue.The black bar btw is for the sake of hiding the...
  4. - Unable to create shortcut - Explorer Windows 10 Shortcut to the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    - Unable to create shortcut - Explorer Windows 10 Shortcut to the internet: Hello.Summary: Creating shortcut to the internet in a folder fails intermittently. Context: I've been in the habit of creating shortcuts to the internet in a folder for ... over 20 years ?, I guess. Recently, I'm having problems to do so. My computer is a new HP laptop....
  5. - Unable to create shortcut - Explorer Windows 10 Shortcut to the internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    - Unable to create shortcut - Explorer Windows 10 Shortcut to the internet: Hello.Summary: Creating shortcut to the internet in a folder fails intermittently. Context: I've been in the habit of creating shortcuts to the internet in a folder for ... over 20 years ?, I guess. Recently, I'm having problems to do so. My computer is a new HP laptop....
  6. - Unable to create shortcut - Explorer Windows 10 Shortcut to the internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut: I am creating a new thread since my original problem "Unable to create Desktop Short cut nor New Folder in Windows 10" has been closed as solved. Wanted to report the following for those who responded to the problem: Feedback Report I have logged as Administrator and found...
  8. SharePoint link/shortcut in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SharePoint link/shortcut in Windows Explorer: Is there a way to add a SharePoint shortcut to Windows Explorer? (just like OneDrive) Alternatively, I am wondering if I can directly upload files from Outlook to SharePoint storage. submitted by /u/drongo1210 [link] [comments]...
  9. Sharing Internet Explorer Links

in Windows 10 Support
    Sharing Internet Explorer Links: What's the best way to share links from Internet Explorer in Windows 10? I have seen how to do it using the Charms bar in Windows 8 but that functionality seems to be gone in Windows 10. Thanks, 10439
  10. Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files.: Hello, I currently have reformatted & installed Windows 10. I've been having this weird issue where if I rename / create shortcuts my computer will freeze. After about 15-20 seconds, explorer will restart and put files "~ew shortcut.tmp / New shortcut.lnk~RF3cc187.TMP" on my...