Windows 10: Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created?

Discus and support Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been running Windows 10 for years, so obviously I've been able to create shortcuts. But recently I tried repeatedly to create a new shortcut and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SweetTasha, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created?

I've been running Windows 10 for years, so obviously I've been able to create shortcuts. But recently I tried repeatedly to create a new shortcut and it never showed up on the desktop. It shows up in File Explorer Documents folder, but not on the desktop. There are close to 100 shortcuts already on the desktop, and I thought maybe I had exceeded a threshold, so I deleted several that were obsolete. That didn't change the behavior. The existing shortcuts occupy only about 1/4 of the entire screen.This image shows the multiple "Prescription Inventories" shortcut in File Explorer.TIA for your hel

:)

SweetTasha, Oct 21, 2021
  2. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

I've created a Batch file which calls on the following VB Script to be able to create a shortcut to my desktop:

VB Script (named createLink.vbs):
    Code: set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' command line arguments ' TODO: error checking sShortcut = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(0)) sTargetPath = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(1)) sWorkingDirectory = objFso.GetAbsolutePathName(sShortcut) set objSC = objWSHShell.CreateShortcut(sShortcut) objSC.TargetPath = sTargetPath objSC.WorkingDirectory = sWorkingDirectory objSC.Save[/quote] Batch File Example (for Windows Notepad):
    Code: @Echo off cscript createLink.vbs "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] But after creating the shortcut using this method, I'm not able to assign a custom icon for the shortcut. I get the following error message when trying to do so:

Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created? Error503.jpg

Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! *Big Grin Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created? :D

Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut). Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. But I need to create several multiple shortcuts and using this Batch/VBS method would really save me a lot of time in doing so.

Flava0ne, Oct 21, 2021
  3. Flava0ne Win User
    Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Tried both of the VB Scripts that you provided and adding the 9 switch to the batch file but neither was able to create a shortcut to my desktop.

Flava0ne, Oct 21, 2021
  4. Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created?

Unable to create shortcuts in Windows 10

Hi Terry,

Provide us with additional information to assist you further:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Does this issue confined to create a shortcut for any specific application?

As a workaround, I suggest you to try creating shortcuts in Safe mode with networking and check if it helps.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Follow the below steps to place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.

• Type msconfig
      and press Enter.

• In the System Configuration
      window, click on General tab.

• Select Start-up selection
      as Normal startup, click on Apply and
      Ok

• Follow onscreen instructions.

Reply to the post with the required information and brief description about this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 21, 2021
Thema:

Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created?

1. Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created? - Similar Threads - Unable create shortcut

2. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create A Shortcut: I would like to create a shortcut that would be placed on my desktop. I have logged onto a webpage and want to create a shortcut. How do I do that? Thanks for any help with this,...
  3. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A Shortcut: I would like to create a shortcut that would be placed on my desktop. I have logged onto a webpage and want to create a shortcut. How do I do that? Thanks for any help with this,...
  4. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created?: I've been running Windows 10 for years, so obviously I've been able to create shortcuts. But recently I tried repeatedly to create a new shortcut and it never showed up on the desktop. It shows up in File Explorer Documents folder, but not on the desktop. There are close to...
  6. Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to create shortcut. Is there a limit on how many can be created?: I've been running Windows 10 for years, so obviously I've been able to create shortcuts. But recently I tried repeatedly to create a new shortcut and it never showed up on the desktop. It shows up in File Explorer Documents folder, but not on the desktop. There are close to...
  7. Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut: I am creating a new thread since my original problem "Unable to create Desktop Short cut nor New Folder in Windows 10" has been closed as solved. Wanted to report the following for those who responded to the problem: Feedback Report I have logged as Administrator and found...
  8. Create shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create shortcut: Dell Inspiron 15 3505 laptop with WIndows 10 Build 19042.685 Today I have added Foobar2000, via Microsoft Store, to the laptop. I am having difficulty finding how to create a shortcut on for Foobar2000. I cannot find the exe either; I would use this to create a shortcut if...
  9. create shortcuts

create shortcuts: How do I create a shortcut easily as was done in earlier programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-shortcuts/31eee41e-7dfe-4726-bff4-c5ea4af40c28
  10. How can I create a shortcut to desktop?

How can I create a shortcut to desktop?: A new version of Windows 10 has no way to create shortcuts to my desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-create-a-shortcut-to-desktop/f34335b0-ea8d-42f5-b9ad-e0b25646d620