Windows 10: Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes)

Discus and support Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I right click on the desktop the menu pops up. But when I click on a choice NEW> the PC freezes for about 10 seconds then the screen goes blue.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by smalltownfan, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes)

When I right click on the desktop the menu pops up. But when I click on a choice NEW> the PC freezes for about 10 seconds then the screen goes blue. After about 5 seconds my icons pop up on a white screen then the wallpaper slowly fades back in. Then one by one the icons on my task bar reappear.

:)

smalltownfan, Mar 23, 2019

2. A right click on the desktop to select NEW freezes, unable to create a new folder

A right click on the desktop to select NEW freezes, unable to create a new folder

LouisLacayo, Mar 23, 2019
  3. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 23, 2019
  4. gudiya#1 Win User

Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes)

creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Thanks, the step you mentioned

Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.
    • Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

It's working for me. But my new folder option is not working anywhere not in desktop as well as not in file explorer. Whenever I am placing my cursor on new folder option, its first spinning for few seconds then goes to close the file
    explorer and refresh the desktop once.

gudiya#1, Mar 23, 2019
Thema:

Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes)

1. Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes) - Similar Threads - Unable create shortcuts

2. Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder: Hi GangI'm using Windows 10 Pro and I'm familiar with how to create Desktop Shortcuts simply by using: 'Type Here To Search' and the options appear automatically to do so. However for some reason, the only option I get for a Desktop Shortcut For The Download Folder, is the...
  3. Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder: Hi GangI'm using Windows 10 Pro and I'm familiar with how to create Desktop Shortcuts simply by using: 'Type Here To Search' and the options appear automatically to do so. However for some reason, the only option I get for a Desktop Shortcut For The Download Folder, is the...
  4. Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut: I am creating a new thread since my original problem "Unable to create Desktop Short cut nor New Folder in Windows 10" has been closed as solved. Wanted to report the following for those who responded to the problem: Feedback Report I have logged as Administrator and found...
  6. Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders: Hi, I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows which scares me. Ztruker asked: You asked...
  7. cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders: Hi all, Appreciate all the welcome posts. I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows...
  8. A right click on the desktop to select NEW freezes, unable to create a new folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A right click on the desktop to select NEW freezes, unable to create a new folder: A right click on the desktop to select NEW freezes, unable to create a new folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-right-click-on-the-desktop-to-select-new-freezes/9af3b440-95ce-46c9-8ec2-d6cf1625a3c4
  9. unable to create folder on the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    unable to create folder on the desktop: Hi I have a problem with my Win 10 I can not create a new folder directly on my desktop first I get message that I need to confirm the action [img] and when I click continue to that I get another pop up window that I need permission to perform this action [img]...
  10. Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas?

in Windows 10 Support
    Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas?: Hi Folks, After a recent fresh install of Win 10 I have had this issue and a few more: i) When I try to create "New Folder" it opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas? as in pic below. ii) I cannot create new installed Desktop "Short Cuts" - I have taken ownership /...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. II want to create right click short cut to desktop

2. create a new shortcut for desktop freezes and quits

3. unable to create shortcuts to internet on my desktop

4. Unable to create folder on system desktop,
  5. unable to create shortcut on windows 10,
  6. unable to create folders on desktop,
  7. unable to create desktop shortcut on my desktop,
  8. unable to create folder on desktop