Windows 10: Unable to decompress the drive and to stop compressing new stuff

Discus and support Unable to decompress the drive and to stop compressing new stuff in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have accidentally checked the box for drive compression in the disk cleanup tool. I tried to go on drive, properties and uncheck the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PatFer99, Apr 27, 2019.

1. PatFer99 Win User

Unable to decompress the drive and to stop compressing new stuff

Hello,

I have accidentally checked the box for drive compression in the disk cleanup tool. I tried to go on drive, properties and uncheck the compression box, but many files are still compressed because they were opened during the process (system files) and when I install new software it is automatically compressed.

I tried to go in Safety mode and manually uncheck the compression box everywhere but there are still files running during the process and new programs still get compressed. I tried with the command: compactos /s /u but it says "Access denied" even in safety mode with admin privileges.

Now the compression tick-box in drive properties in unchecked but there are still files compressed. What can I do?

:)

PatFer99, Apr 27, 2019

2. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Hi Marvin,

You can set the compression state of folders and compress or decompress files by using My Computer or a command-line program called Compact. We recommend following these steps to set a folder in a decompression state:

• Start Windows Explorer . In the left pane, select the folder you want to compress or decompress.

• On the File menu, click Properties to display the
      Properties dialog box.

• On the General tab, click Advanced .

• In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, clear the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click
      OK .

• In the Properties dialog box, click OK .

• To keep existing files or subfolders in the NTFS folders in their current compression state, click
      Apply changes to this folder only , and then click OK .

Let us know if you need further help.

Darian Tab, Apr 27, 2019
  3. softmate Win User
    decompress of c: drive fails time after time (decomprimeren van c: drive lukt niet)

In order to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, it was necessary to compress the c: drive, which is a SSD. After a succesful upgrade, I want to decompress the c: drive. The current compressed situation is that 10,1 Gb is in use of the available 28,4 Gb.

First step was to uncheck the checkbox in the properties dialog "compress this drive to save diskspace" of the c: drive. This action was completed succesfully but the checkbox remains checked.

Also using the command prompt in save mode, using the command: "compact /u /i /s *.*" works fine but the ultimate effect was that the checkbox remains checked.

But it was remarkable that there were so many errors with: Access denied.

So, the ultimate question is: how to uncompress/decompress my SSD?

softmate, Apr 27, 2019
  4. W1zzard Win User

COMPRESSING Drives

there is a break even point, when the drive takes longer to read the data than the cpu needs to compress/decompress it and you have that amount of cpu power idle anyway

W1zzard, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to decompress the drive and to stop compressing new stuff - Similar Threads - Unable decompress drive

2. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compress new folder content in compressed folder: I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not...
  3. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compress new folder content in compressed folder: I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not...
  4. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to compress folder

Unable to compress folder: While compressing the file this pop up coming. But if I'M giving yes another pop up coming. Here is the snap 2..Its happening after windows 10 update. Please help me to resolved this issue. Its drastically hampering my work....
  6. Can't exit drive properties after a decompression

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't exit drive properties after a decompression: I was trying to decompress a family member's drive, and when i noticed the decompression window was gone, i could not exit drive properties by pressing ok. This is not the biggest problem, as i am not even sure that everything on that drive had been decompressed, as when i...
  7. Need help with decompressing c drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with decompressing c drive: I was running disk cleaner on w10 and checked compress your os drive accidently. I tried decompress through c drive property option but everytime when trying to decompress i get error saying c:/swapfiles.sys is being used by another process. Ive tried restarting pc but same...
  8. OS Drive Compression

OS Drive Compression: Greetings, everyone. I am using an Aspire ES1-132, with a storage of 28.0 Gigabytes, and I am running short on storage space, and I could not relieve space from the laptop. I was told that I could compress my OS drive. I need to know if compressing my OS drive is a good...
  9. Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.: Dear Tenforums users, I have recently (I think it started less than a week ago) encountered problems or rather peculiarities with my Lenovo laptop: two blue arrows started appearing on nearly all my files and folders (image files, Word documents e.g.). In addition, whenever...
  10. Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing

in Windows 10 Support
    Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing: I've written a program that I want to make available to users on my webpage. The package consists of seven files: the .exe file, a .dll file, and five data files. I send all seven to a compressed (zipped) folder, so the user needs to download only one thing. I upload the .zip...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to change decompress a drive