Windows 10: unable to decrypt a folder...

Discus and support unable to decrypt a folder... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently purchased Windows 10 Pro because I need the encryption function I played around with my files and I can encrypt no problem However, when... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TYCW, Dec 19, 2019.

1. TYCW Win User

unable to decrypt a folder...

I recently purchased Windows 10 Pro because I need the encryption function

I played around with my files and I can encrypt no problem

However, when I try to decrypt, I keep on getting this message:

unable to decrypt a folder... f8ce8e12-4dfa-469d-8c1e-ad794d309095?upload=true.png

I can go in the folder and individually decrypt the files

But I can't decrypt them all at the same time

and even after I decrypted all the files individually

I still can't decrypt the mother folder

What do I do?

:)

2. ErvSch Win User

Cannot decrypt folder but files and sub-folders contained do decrypt

Hi Paola,

Thank you for your interest in this problem.

• Which encryption software did you use to encrypt the files?

All of the encryption done was using EFS in Windows 10 Pro.
    • How did you encrypt the files?

The files were encrypted by selecting a folder in File Explorer then right clicking to choose Properties, pressing the Advanced button to the Advanced Attributes screen then checking the box: "Encrypt contents to secure data." Then pressing “OK”
      back to Properties, “OK” again to the Confirm Attribute Changes, select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files," and OK once more. The encryption then proceeds and all subfolders and files are encrypted. The files were then decrypted by much
      the same process but rather unselecting the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box. This decrypted all the contained files, but the folder and all subfolders remained encrypted. After this the contained files could not again be encrypted by encrypting the
      folder because the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box for the folder was already checked.
    • How are you able to verify that the files inside the encrypted folders were already decrypted?

By selecting a file and again choosing Properties / Advanced to observe whether the box: "Encrypt contents to secure data" was or was not checked.

ErvSch, Dec 19, 2019
  3. ErvSch Win User

I can encrypt a folder containing sub-folders and files then immediately attempt to decrypt this same folder. All of the files in this folder and its sub-folders are decrypted but this folder and its subfolders remain encrypted. Copying one of these just
    decrypted files and pasting it directly back into the same folder causes it to become encrypted - it should because the folder is still encrypted. Pasting it into a folder that is not encrypted it remains unencrypted. The only way I have found to get the
    contents of one of these stubbornly encrypted folders into an unencrypted folder is to create a new unencrypted folder with the similar name, move all of the contents into the new folder, delete the stubborn folder and adjust the name of the new folder. Not
    convenient.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions. Thanks, Erv

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

ErvSch, Dec 19, 2019
  4. Paola Gar Win User

Hi Erv,

In order for us to isolate the issue, we'd like to get the following information:

• How did you encrypt the files?
    • Which encryption software did you use to encrypt the files?
    • How are you able to verify that the files inside the encrypted folders were already decrypted?

Looking forward to your response.

Paola Gar, Dec 19, 2019
Thema:

1. unable to decrypt a folder... - Similar Threads - unable decrypt folder

2. Unable to decrypt.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to decrypt.: Greetings, I had encrypted few files on my windows system using windows' FES, later on Windows OS got corrupted causing me to reinstall the Windows. After reinstallation of the new OS i've become unable to access my encrypted files. I have understood the problem so need a...
  3. Unable to decrypt.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to decrypt.: Greetings, I had encrypted few files on my windows system using windows' FES, later on Windows OS got corrupted causing me to reinstall the Windows. After reinstallation of the new OS i've become unable to access my encrypted files. I have understood the problem so need a...
  4. Unable to decrypt.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Not able to decrypt my folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to decrypt my folder: I had encrypted folder on my old laptop and trying it to open on new laptop but had not taken the back up of registry certificate from old laptop. Now old laptop is formatted in such a case can i get any support...
  6. Not able to decrypt my folder

Not able to decrypt my folder: I had encrypted folder on my old laptop and trying it to open on new laptop but had not taken the back up of registry certificate from old laptop. Now old laptop is formatted in such a case can i get any support...
  7. Not able to decrypt my folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Unable to open Hard drive after decryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to open Hard drive after decryption: Hi, I have encrypted my external hard drive in my old laptopwindows 7 and was not able the use the external hard drive in any other laptop. So i had decrypted it in my old laptop- windows7 and it was successful and was open to view the data of the external drive after the...
  9. Unable to decrypt files encrpted by EFS

Unable to decrypt files encrpted by EFS: hi am facing the problem unable to apply attributes/ unable to decrypt files error 0x80071771:specified file couldn't be decrypted please help in solving this issue....
  10. Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause

Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause: Hi all I have a serious problem with decrypting my external drive as it stuck at 65.5% and, the thing I tried: I tried to pause it but when I click pause after few seconds the window goes into Not Responding status and my whole computer slowing down. I tried to use...