Windows 10: Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Discus and support Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Unable to delete a folder on an external USB HDD. Tried with take ownership. Tried Takedown, and some options on Owner of Files and Folders - Change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tfwul, Jan 21, 2016.

1. tfwul Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Unable to delete a folder on an external USB HDD. Tried with take ownership.
    Tried Takedown, and some options on
    Owner of Files and Folders - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I booted from USB (WinPE/Paragon) and accessed command prompt from there.
    Deleting the folder: invalid folder name.

Have no idea how to solve it.
    I can rename the folder, but not move it.

Any suggestions?

As far as I can see I am the owner/administrator and having full control on the folder...?

=
    W10 Unable to delete folder-invalid folder name.pdf

Have combined all screenshots into 1 PDF - else the post would be way too big.
    never uploaded a PDF before.
    =

:)

tfwul, Jan 21, 2016

2. How can I remove an album on my Nokia Lumia 920

Hi all,

For a week ago, I uploaded 4 pictures to a new folder on SkyDrive. Then a new album with name "Other Pictures from SkyDrive" apperaed on my phone. I removed the pictures when I downloaded them to a newly installed PC but they still appear as a SkyDrive album
    on my phone. The pictures are invalid (they are unable to navigate to or open, delete on the phone) but the icons and the album folder itself are visible on the Lumia device.

It seems something has been corrupt on the phone and I hope reset is not the only way to remove once and for all these invalid picture links.

Thankds in advance,

Jesús

JesusReina Carvajal, Jan 21, 2016
  3. How can I remove an album on my Nokia Lumia 920

Try a soft reset instead;...Hold the Volume Down + Power buttons until the phone vibrates, then release/

Then see what you see..

Generally though, once a folder has been displayed in photo's, the folder stays, regardless of its content. I have a couple of empty folders myself.

Phil101 Outlook, Jan 21, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Suggestion:
    • Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    • Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    • Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    • Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Jan 21, 2016
  5. tfwul Win User
    Thanks. WIll get back on this soonest. I am not sure about the Linux stuff though: never done this before - never went down this 'slippery' road - slippery for me.

tfwul, Jan 21, 2016
  6. tfwul Win User
    Later... I don't know ... I guess I leave it as it is. The folder is very small. 'properties' say 0 bytes and chkdsk will take a day (at least, that is the 'ETA').
    I let the matter go, it isn't worth all the workload.
    Thanks anyway.
    =

tfwul, Jan 21, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    I am glad I am not the only one with the same aggravating experience.
    Chkdsk takes so long it's absolutely unbearable.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  8. tfwul Win User

Seems you cannot stop it. At least the usual CTRL-C doesn't work. My 'workaround' was to close all applications, then close the elevated command prompt with chkdsk running. The shut down the pc and restart. All seems to be okay now. The folder can still not be deleted though. Take Control, TakeDown, whatever, they don't work in my case.
    I used
    icacls "x:\somefolder" /setowner "Administrators" /T /C
    takeown /F "x:\somefolder" /A /R /D Y
    and takeownership
    I also went thru option 5 from : Owner of Files and Folders - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    But there the window changing ownership hanged and I had to close it after 20 minutes

It ain't easy...

=

tfwul, Jan 21, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Interesting to hear, as for me Chkdsk has never taken more than 3 to 4 mins tops. Granted both my computers have a SSD on their C-drive, but my D-drives are spinners. Even my D drives don't take long.

OldMike65, Jan 21, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Depend on what option you use and how badly corrupted your HD is. It can take hours to run, sometimes seems to stall at one spot. For example, if you run with /r option, chkdsk will do a surface scan on every spot on the whole HD including unused spaces, also mark all bad sectors in the MFT table so Windows will avoid using them.

topgundcp, Jan 21, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Ahh I didn't use the /r option used /f option, which always reports it found no problems. Will have to try that sometime....not today thou. *Smile

OldMike65, Jan 21, 2016
  12. tfwul Win User
    tfwul, Jan 21, 2016
  13. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, Jan 21, 2016
  14. RolandJS Win User
    Puppy Linux takes maybe 10-15 minutes from boot to restart, one can find a folder or file to delete - delete one and done *Smile

RolandJS, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name - Similar Threads - Unable delete folder

2. Unable to delete a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete a folder: im unable to delete a folder and get this error. Even tried in safe mode but still the same results. Plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-delete-a-folder/5e1d7a8b-dffa-404c-b2df-b1bd686f15d9
  3. folder unable to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    folder unable to delete: Hi, I've been having continuous issues with deleting this blender folder. I tried deleting one of the specific subfolders that looked like it was causing the issue, but that seemingly didn't work. I attempted to change the security permissions, but it said access was denied....
  4. Unable to delete a folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to delete a folder: I am unable to delete a folder. Everytime it shows as you require permission from SYSTEM to make changes in the folder.I even have changed permission by going in security option of properties, even then I am not able to delete....
  5. Unable to delete folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete folder: I cannot open the folder, i cannot rename it, i cannot delete it.. Windows believes it does not exist. Yet it does. By accident the folder name has two dots in, windows now believes the folder is a file with a broken extension. However will not let me rename or remove...
  6. Unable to Delete invalid folder

Unable to Delete invalid folder: Unable to delete a folder. [ATTACH] I have.. Attempted.... Delete the parent folder Change ownership of parent folder and pass to children rmdir folder del folder rmdir folder using volume path del folder using volume path del folder in "safe...
  7. Unable to delete folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to delete folder.: I have a folder on my D drive that I can't delete. It's in "my music". It's an album folder that I can't get rid of. I have deleted everything inside of it but the actual folder won't delete. It says "Item Not Found. Could not find this item. This is no longer located in...
  8. Unable to delete a folder

Unable to delete a folder: I have a folder on my computer that I didn’t create. It’s in a folder that I created, and my computer tells me that I don’t have administrator permissions for it, and it won’t let me change or view the permissions. It’s status is cloud, and I can open it on the cloud but...
  9. Unable to Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to Delete a Folder: After clean installing 1803 I found that OneDrive was giving errors in Event Viewer so I decided to follow a guide which recommended uninstalling and reinstalling it. During install I decided to move the folder from c: to d:. Unfortunately this has left all the files behind...
  10. Cannot Delete Empty Folder "Directory Name is Invalid"

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Delete Empty Folder "Directory Name is Invalid": Long story short - Upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 a few months ago, decided to backup Windows 7. Came to the realization that I wan't gonna downgrade and Windows.old was taking up substantial space so I decided to delete it via Disk Cleanup. One folder remained that I...