Windows 10: Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs

Discus and support Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I try to delete desktop shortcuts to programs Windows 10 tries to delete the actual program. In addition, the shortcuts only appear on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AnthonyBarker137, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs

When I try to delete desktop shortcuts to programs Windows 10 tries to delete the actual program. In addition, the shortcuts only appear on the desktop, but do not appear in the desktop folder in Explorer. How do I get rid/delete/unpin these shortcuts without deleting the program?

Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs 5f8c9a9e-37b8-4b0f-a6d5-8fda24b8cccc?upload=true.jpg

:)

AnthonyBarker137, Oct 2, 2019
  2. Error 404 Win User

Removing desktop icons

I want to remove some Icons from my desktop, but Vista asks for Admin permission to continue (I'm not an admin *Frown Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs :( ).
    It seems that whenever I delete one of these icons from my desktop, it is also removed from all the other user accounts. For example, I deleted the Skype icon from my desktop, and it was then removed from everyone elses as well.
    How can I delete icons from my desktop only, without affecting anyone elses?

Error 404, Oct 2, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Removing desktop icons

the icons are located in 'all users' folder somewhere (for example, i see a few shared icons in "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" )

The only way to fix those, is to remove the icons from there, and place them on to each users desktops manually. an admin may need to do this.

Mussels, Oct 2, 2019
  4. rootsrat Win User

Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs

Unable to delete an empty icon from desktop (copied and pasted

Hi. I came across a very annoying problem. In the rush of multitasking I copied a folder that was being deleted at the time and pasted it onto my Desktop. Now I have an empty folder icon on my desktop with no name and I can't do anything with it.

Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs [​IMG]

None of the options in the context menu work, pressing Delete doesn't work either. When I list contents of my desktop in CMD using DIR command it doesn't display any directories either, as if the folder wasn't there at all.

Please can you help me remove it?

rootsrat, Oct 2, 2019
Thema:

Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs

1. Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs - Similar Threads - Unable delete desktop

2. I found a way to delete icons from my desktop without deleting them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I found a way to delete icons from my desktop without deleting them: I just cut, then go to file explorer and paste them where I want them to be. Hope this is helpful. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-found-a-way-to-delete-icons-from-my-desktop/920917f5-c29f-4664-ba2f-bdaaa665d965
  3. I found a way to delete icons from my desktop without deleting them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I found a way to delete icons from my desktop without deleting them: I just cut, then go to file explorer and paste them where I want them to be. Hope this is helpful. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-found-a-way-to-delete-icons-from-my-desktop/920917f5-c29f-4664-ba2f-bdaaa665d965
  4. How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?: When trying to delete some application shortcuts while running as a standard user, I receive a UAC prompt asking me for admin credentials to delete the linked program file rather than the shortcut .lnk file itself. e.g.How can I delete only the shortcut file?...
  5. How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?

How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?: When trying to delete some application shortcuts while running as a standard user, I receive a UAC prompt asking me for admin credentials to delete the linked program file rather than the shortcut .lnk file itself. e.g.How can I delete only the shortcut file?...
  6. Cannot delete desktop icons

Cannot delete desktop icons: When I try to delete some of the icons for shortcuts and full files on my desktop, they disappear but then, a few minutes later they will all return. I cannot get rid of them! Any ideas on how to fix this??thanks...
  7. Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop: Hi all Due to a failing SSD I have done a fresh install of Windows 10 and all my other programs onto to a replacement SSD. Everything has gone fine apart from one program (Weatherlink from Davis Weather) has put two icons on my local account desktop. One opens the program...
  8. Slow delete of desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow delete of desktop icons: Sometimes, when I try to delete a desktop shortcut icon, I get a message like "recycling Filename", which goes away in a few seconds. Then the icon stays in place for several seconds and finally disappears. Other times -- mostly -- the icon disappears immediately. Why the...
  9. Unable to delete uninstalled program

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to delete uninstalled program: hi, I've been researching for a day to trying resolve this issue and cant seem to find a fix. I have tried deleting the files through Regedit and still having issues. I uninstalled autocad 360, but for some reason its still showing up under devices and drivers as well...
  10. Deleting Desktop Icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting Desktop Icons.: I'm a bit uncertain about deleting desktop icons. I recently got two new kinds: downloaded youtube vids got put in desktop with an icon on the desktop. saved .txt files got saved to the desktop with an icon. I think I've found that if I right click and delete the...