Windows 10: Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop

Discus and support Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all Due to a failing SSD I have done a fresh install of Windows 10 and all my other programs onto to a replacement SSD. Everything has gone fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by keithnicholls37, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop

Hi all

Due to a failing SSD I have done a fresh install of Windows 10 and all my other programs onto to a replacement SSD.

Everything has gone fine apart from one program (Weatherlink from Davis Weather) has put two icons on my local account desktop.

One opens the program as it should do, the other appears to be trying to open an installer and fails due to missing components.

I have tried to delete the "spare" Icon and I can't, even with admin privileges.

If I look at what Icons are on my desktop it isn't listed

It's properties show that it is owned by "System"

It says it is located in C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

I have tried to find a way of accessing it to delete it but I can't find one.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Keith

:)

keithnicholls37, Nov 2, 2019
  2. Error 404 Win User

Removing desktop icons

I want to remove some Icons from my desktop, but Vista asks for Admin permission to continue (I'm not an admin *Frown Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop :( ).
    It seems that whenever I delete one of these icons from my desktop, it is also removed from all the other user accounts. For example, I deleted the Skype icon from my desktop, and it was then removed from everyone elses as well.
    How can I delete icons from my desktop only, without affecting anyone elses?

Error 404, Nov 2, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Removing desktop icons

the icons are located in 'all users' folder somewhere (for example, i see a few shared icons in "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" )

The only way to fix those, is to remove the icons from there, and place them on to each users desktops manually. an admin may need to do this.

Mussels, Nov 2, 2019
  4. Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop

1. Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop - Similar Threads - Unable delete duplicate

2. Unable to delete duplicate entry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete duplicate entry: hey guys i am unable to delete duplicate entry as i have found no wayplease help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-delete-duplicate-entry/6601863e-6c5e-44e7-84b2-c5edbf1b56c2
  3. Unable to delete duplicate entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete duplicate entry: hey guys i am unable to delete duplicate entry as i have found no wayplease help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-delete-duplicate-entry/6601863e-6c5e-44e7-84b2-c5edbf1b56c2
  4. duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED: Alrighty then, somewhere along the line I noticed I had a ghost image behind my google pin on taskbar. Then realized the same on several short cuts on my Desktop. AY Yi Yi, wut to do, as always begin a methodical search online for the Solution... After about my 8th or 9th...
  5. duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED: Alrighty then, somewhere along the line I noticed I had a ghost image behind my google pin on taskbar. Then realized the same on several short cuts on my Desktop. AY Yi Yi, wut to do, as always begin a methodical search online for the Solution... After about my 8th or 9th...
  6. duplicate icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    duplicate icons on desktop: hii I got duplicate icons on desktop error.unfortunately i deleted desktop folder.i read registry changing and tried,but it showing error to change user shell folder.please suggest some solution to it...
  7. DUPLICATE DESKTOP ICONS IN WINDOW 10

DUPLICATE DESKTOP ICONS IN WINDOW 10: All desktop icons in Windows 10 are duplicated. Deleting one duplicates both. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-desktop-icons-in-window-10/00707ecf-e064-4922-81bd-b837e51a3e88
  8. Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop - Now fixed.

Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop - Now fixed.: Hi all Due to a failing SSD I have done a fresh install of Windows 10 and all my other programs onto to a replacement SSD. Everything has gone fine apart from one program (Weatherlink from Davis Weather) has put two icons on my local account desktop. One opens the program...
  9. Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs

Unable to delete desktop icons without deleting programs: When I try to delete desktop shortcuts to programs Windows 10 tries to delete the actual program. In addition, the shortcuts only appear on the desktop, but do not appear in the desktop folder in Explorer. How do I get rid/delete/unpin these shortcuts without deleting the...
  10. Unable to delete an empty icon from desktop (copied and pasted

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to delete an empty icon from desktop (copied and pasted: Hi. I came across a very annoying problem. In the rush of multitasking I copied a folder that was being deleted at the time and pasted it onto my Desktop. Now I have an empty folder icon on my desktop with no name and I can't do anything with it. [img] None of the...