Windows 10: Unable to delete / Edit / Rename / Cut a file from Desktop

Discus and support Unable to delete / Edit / Rename / Cut a file from Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings all,I was browsing through the internet and decided to save an artwork on my desktop. The way I did it was the usual. I clicked dragged, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Arjun Salwan, May 16, 2023.

1. Unable to delete / Edit / Rename / Cut a file from Desktop

Greetings all,I was browsing through the internet and decided to save an artwork on my desktop. The way I did it was the usual. I clicked dragged, then pressed Windows + D and let the file drop. The file had strange name, like really long list of characters. Perhaps it is auto generated. Format of the file is .jpegSince the file is NSFW I did not want it to stay there and thought of deleting it but when I click and press delete, nothing happens. When I Shift +Delete, nothing happens. When I try to rename, and enter new name, nothing happens. When I try to cut and paste it in new place, nothin

:)

Arjun Salwan, May 16, 2023
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, May 16, 2023
  3. SeleneN Win User
    Unable to delete downloaded file on desktop

.txt file downloaded onto the desktop, but unable to be deleted or renamed. Think it was from a download via website that was aborted.

Checked for virus (negative), tried to delete based on location (negative), trying not to go for system restore just for this file, searched the community for tips (negative).

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

SeleneN, May 16, 2023
  4. Unable to delete / Edit / Rename / Cut a file from Desktop

Unable to delete Desktop files - Windows 10

I'm unable to delete a file on my desktop. I tried renaming, command prompt, unlocker, safe mode etc. and they all failed.

The the only way I found to delete it was to boot into a live version of Ubuntu on a USB stick, navigate to the desktop and delete it that way.

I hope this helps someone else...

D.

ThroughLemur31, May 16, 2023
Thema:

Unable to delete / Edit / Rename / Cut a file from Desktop

1. Unable to delete / Edit / Rename / Cut a file from Desktop - Similar Threads - Unable delete Edit

2. Unable to delete or rename broken file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete or rename broken file.: I have a file that is stuck on my computer which is causing issues with OneDrive sync'ing. Somehow, one of my project files renamed to "L CENSE" instead of LICENSE. I have tried the following fixes:1 Simply delete it, throws error of "The file name you specified is not valid...
  3. Unable to delete or rename broken file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete or rename broken file.: I have a file that is stuck on my computer which is causing issues with OneDrive sync'ing. Somehow, one of my project files renamed to "L CENSE" instead of LICENSE. I have tried the following fixes:1 Simply delete it, throws error of "The file name you specified is not valid...
  4. Unable to delete or rename broken file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to delete / Edit / Rename / Cut a file from Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete / Edit / Rename / Cut a file from Desktop: Greetings all,I was browsing through the internet and decided to save an artwork on my desktop. The way I did it was the usual. I clicked dragged, then pressed Windows + D and let the file drop. The file had strange name, like really long list of characters. Perhaps it is...
  6. Unable to delete / Edit / Rename / Cut a file from Desktop

Unable to delete / Edit / Rename / Cut a file from Desktop: Greetings all,I was browsing through the internet and decided to save an artwork on my desktop. The way I did it was the usual. I clicked dragged, then pressed Windows + D and let the file drop. The file had strange name, like really long list of characters. Perhaps it is...
  7. Unable to delete, scan, or rename a weird PDF file on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete, scan, or rename a weird PDF file on my desktop.: I have a pdf file on my desktop that is named a long string of letters and a few dashes that I can't delete. I don't know where this file came from, but when I try to delete, rename, or Norton scan it, I am met with the message: "the system cannot find the path specified."...
  8. Unable to delete, scan, or rename a weird PDF file on my desktop.

Unable to delete, scan, or rename a weird PDF file on my desktop.: I have a pdf file on my desktop that is named a long string of letters and a few dashes that I can't delete. I don't know where this file came from, but when I try to delete, rename, or Norton scan it, I am met with the message: "the system cannot find the path specified."...
  9. Cannot delete, copy, cut and rename a PDF file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete, copy, cut and rename a PDF file: Hello Team, I downloaded a PDF file from the Flipkart website in which comparing of laptops consist. After opening that file, I tried to delete that file but I couldn't perform any operation on that file. I used Microsoft File and Folder trouble-shooter to detect any...
  10. I can't delete or rename a file from the desktop!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete or rename a file from the desktop!!!: Hello, so I've been trying to delete a file from my desktop, but it just doesn't seem to work. I try to ove it to the recycle bin but either nothing happens or the progress bar appears but it doesn't progress anything, I even tried shredding the file with File Shredder, but...