Windows 10: Unable to delete file on desktop

Discus and support Unable to delete file on desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a mpg file on my desktop.I am unable to delete it via file explorer, third party file management apps including in administrator mode, or via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DouglasDrake1, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Unable to delete file on desktop

I have a mpg file on my desktop.I am unable to delete it via file explorer, third party file management apps including in administrator mode, or via cmd .Often times, attempts to delete, rename or move the file cause the file management program to stall.Any ideas what might have caused this and how to remedy it.tia

:)

DouglasDrake1, Jul 13, 2021
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jul 13, 2021
  3. Cant Delete Files From Desktop

Well, ran into a weird bug with vista, for some reason i cant delete files from desktop, this normaly happens to .exe files, the ONLY fix seems to be to KILL explorer.exe, and delete the file, then restat explorer, anybody got any idea why this happens?

Rebo&Zooty, Jul 13, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

Unable to delete file on desktop

Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

Thema:

Unable to delete file on desktop

1. Unable to delete file on desktop - Similar Threads - Unable delete file

2. Unable to delete a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete a file: I was copying a number of files to my NAS the other night and Microsoft decided to do an update without any notice and the computer was rebooted part way through the copy. I now have a folder with a partial file in it but have been unable to delete it. I have tried just...
  3. Unable to delete a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete a file: Hi, my name is Aakash. I have a file that has a long name just filled with random characters. I am not able to delete that file. I am not sure why. I believe it is because of the name as it is to long and the system can't properly load it or something. Please help me as it is...
  4. Unable to delete folder on desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete folder on desktop.: Okay so I was being really stupid and looking in the permissions of a folder I had on my desktop in the security tab. But I accidently disabled the READ access permission on ADMINISTRATORS so I cant delete the file nor can I even see whats inside it. Please help I have tried...
  5. Unable to delete a file

Unable to delete a file: There appears to be a corrupt .mp4 file on one of my hard drives that will not allow me to delete it. I get no error message or pop up when I try to delete it. It just doesn't' delete. How do I fix this? Thanks...
  6. Unable to delete file

Unable to delete file: Hello, Today I allowed a tech support person from Google access to my computer, and he added a file to my download folder. I tried to delete it, but keeps telling me that I need permission from the admin. But I AM the admin of my computer. I've attached a capture of the...
  7. UNABLE TO DELETE FILES

UNABLE TO DELETE FILES: I have been attempting to clean out the "junk" and useless files accumulated over the years. One file that I have named "Downloads" contains nothing but archaic items (i.e., 2011-2013), but I cannot delete any of the items within that file. I am running Windows 10. Any...
  8. unabled to delete file

unabled to delete file: im unable to delete this file . [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unabled-to-delete-file/0d741951-eac5-4c4b-954d-0fc73b7f6949"
  9. Unable to delete Desktop files - Windows 10

Unable to delete Desktop files - Windows 10: I'm unable to delete a file on my desktop. I tried renaming, command prompt, unlocker, safe mode etc. and they all failed. The the only way I found to delete it was to boot into a live version of Ubuntu on a USB stick, navigate to the desktop and delete it that way. I...
  10. Unable to delete downloaded file on desktop

Unable to delete downloaded file on desktop: .txt file downloaded onto the desktop, but unable to be deleted or renamed. Think it was from a download via website that was aborted. Checked for virus (negative), tried to delete based on location (negative), trying not to go for system restore just for this file, searched...