Windows 10: Unable to Delete Files as Administrator

Discus and support Unable to Delete Files as Administrator in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There are some files in my hard drive that aren't any sort of system files, and they aren't running either. It was a program that suddenly wouldn't run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rumcake256, May 16, 2020.

1. Unable to Delete Files as Administrator

There are some files in my hard drive that aren't any sort of system files, and they aren't running either. It was a program that suddenly wouldn't run anymore, and I'm not sure why. Something happened to the executable file because the icon started to look like a default file, instead of having its normal icon, and whenever I tried to run it. I would get an error that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. YOu may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

After a lot of looking things up online, I've re-enabled the hidden administrator account, I confirmed that my account has administrator rights, and I ran the SFC scan that's done through CMD because that was another solution that was repeated many times. The scan came back saying "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

It then showed me where to find the log, but it's just a lot of information that doesn't make sense to me.

http://puu.sh/FLo9d/97b92f00dc.log

I think its worth mentioning that I did uninstall the program, but it left behind the uninstall file and the broken executable. I couldn't delete either one. I tried reinstalling it somewhere else to see if I could get it to work and just ignore the broken files that I couldn't delete, but during the install, it wasn't able to create the executable.

I'd really like to fix this but am at my wits end. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

:)

Rumcake256, May 16, 2020
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Unable to delete a file

Hi Brent,

There are a lot of possible reason why the issue occurs, we suggest that you access
    safe mode
    and
    delete the files there. If the same issue occur,
    reboot
    your PC and run these following
    methods of troubleshooting
    steps:

Method 1:
    Run SFC Scan.  

To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:  

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.   

Method 2:
    Run DISM Tool.  

To run
    DISM Tool, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type the following command:  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

NOTE:
    This might take a while to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel. 

Method 3: Clean Boot.

To perform a
    Clean Boot, click
    here.

Note:
    Reset the computer back to
    Normal Mode
    once you are done with the troubleshooting by following the section
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the same article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, May 16, 2020
  3. Unable to Delete Directory as Administrator

When attempting to update a program, got an error saying unable to create directory....

Was further advised to delete the original installation folder.

When attempting to do so, even as administrator, got message that file protected.

Any suggestions?

DouglasDrake1, May 16, 2020
  4. Unable to Delete Files as Administrator

Unable to Delete Directory as Administrator

Hello,

Try taking ownership of the folder and then attempt to delete it, see if it works.

Regards.

Kapil Arya MVP, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Unable to Delete Files as Administrator

1. Unable to Delete Files as Administrator - Similar Threads - Unable Delete Files

2. Unable to delete a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete a file: I was copying a number of files to my NAS the other night and Microsoft decided to do an update without any notice and the computer was rebooted part way through the copy. I now have a folder with a partial file in it but have been unable to delete it. I have tried just...
  3. Unable to delete a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete a file: Hi, my name is Aakash. I have a file that has a long name just filled with random characters. I am not able to delete that file. I am not sure why. I believe it is because of the name as it is to long and the system can't properly load it or something. Please help me as it is...
  4. Unable to delete a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete a file: There appears to be a corrupt .mp4 file on one of my hard drives that will not allow me to delete it. I get no error message or pop up when I try to delete it. It just doesn't' delete. How do I fix this? Thanks...
  5. Unable to delete file

Unable to delete file: Hello, Today I allowed a tech support person from Google access to my computer, and he added a file to my download folder. I tried to delete it, but keeps telling me that I need permission from the admin. But I AM the admin of my computer. I've attached a capture of the...
  6. Unable to Delete Directory as Administrator

Unable to Delete Directory as Administrator: When attempting to update a program, got an error saying unable to create directory.... Was further advised to delete the original installation folder. When attempting to do so, even as administrator, got message that file protected. Any suggestions?...
  7. UNABLE TO DELETE FILES

UNABLE TO DELETE FILES: I have been attempting to clean out the "junk" and useless files accumulated over the years. One file that I have named "Downloads" contains nothing but archaic items (i.e., 2011-2013), but I cannot delete any of the items within that file. I am running Windows 10. Any...
  8. unabled to delete file

unabled to delete file: im unable to delete this file . [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unabled-to-delete-file/0d741951-eac5-4c4b-954d-0fc73b7f6949"
  9. Administrator Rights to Delete a File

Administrator Rights to Delete a File: I created a .jpg and saved it to my desktop. I am trying to delete it, but I receive the message that I need permission from the Administrator to delete the file. This is my computed and I created the file, how can I delete it?...
  10. Delete Administrator account files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Delete Administrator account files: My intent was to turn on the built in administrator account and remove my user account, but found out that will not work for one reason or another of several. I have again disabled the administrator account, is it now safe to delete C:\Users\Administrator folder? 126516