Windows 10: Unable to delete files stored in SystemRestore for games uninstalled years ago.

Discus and support Unable to delete files stored in SystemRestore for games uninstalled years ago. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I noticed my C drive that my OS is installed on is running very low on space and I have found the cause of it. There is a hidden system folder named... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by The Mysterious Mr., Jan 26, 2021.

1. Unable to delete files stored in SystemRestore for games uninstalled years ago.

I noticed my C drive that my OS is installed on is running very low on space and I have found the cause of it. There is a hidden system folder named SystemRestore that is holding assets for many things that should not be there as I have no actual restore points or backups made. On top of that, it is for the game Killer Instinct which I had uninstalled and deleted about 5 years ago now. I have actually reinstalled Windows 10 a couple of times since then and the file is still there. There is no drive partitions or anything of the sort. I have used an app called TreeSize to view the files and tried taking ownership manually and using a registry editor app and it will not allow me to delete it no matter who I give permissions to, whether I change the files from read only to full control by every user. No matter if I go into safe mode and run all of the same procedures the files will start to populate in the delete process then immediately skips to the end and deletes absolutely none of the files. I cannot delete even a .txt file from within this folder. The amount of work being put in to try deleting these SystemRestorecompletely unnecessary to me files is ridiculous and I don't care if it causes issues in the future; I should be able to delete anything that is not 100% crucial to running Windows if I change the permissions and do so from safe mode. There are many people I see having the same issue with different games and it always comes back to the games being downloaded from the Microsoft Store. I do not know the cause of this or why in the world a game asset file that is 50GB is considered important enough to keep in a backup, let alone when there shouldn't be a backup AND the game is deleted, but this problem needs to be addressed. At this point I have worked on this for a couple of hours and got to the point where I am now completely erasing the OS and drive and reinstalling Windows from scratch.

:)

The Mysterious Mr., Jan 26, 2021

2. unable to uninstall an app

I had downloaded modern combat 5 game in my phone from the store... But it's not listed in the app list OR it's not there in the start menu..

When I go to store it's showing that the game is installed and gives me an option to view..but when I tap view the store exits..

so I am unable to uninstall it from the phone though it has consumed memory in my device..

Nokia Lumia 730. Any suggestions???

amitpaul90, Jan 26, 2021
  3. Unable to Launch Games such as Gears 4

Hi,

An outdated version of the Windows Store is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to launch any games from Windows Store. To help you resolve this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

Step 1: Delete Temporary files. This will help delete temporary files that have been stored on your computer.

• Click Start and click Settings.
    • Select System.
    • Select Storage.
    • Select This PC.
    • Click Temporary files.
    • Choose Temporary files.
    • Click Remove files.

Step 2: Re-register the Store App and check.

• Right click on Start button on the desktop and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Here, User Account Control window pops up and click on Yes to open Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
    • Type the below command in the Command Prompt: powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

Kindly update us with the results, so that we can assist you further.

Wilfred Mac, Jan 26, 2021
  4. WiIfred P Win User

Unable to delete files stored in SystemRestore for games uninstalled years ago.

UNINSTALL GAMES FROM MICROSOFT

Hi Calaird,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor, an expert with Windows 10 and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. I understand your concern about Uninstalling games.

Reference:

If you installed your game from the Microsoft Store, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows button on your device or keyboard, or select the Windows icon in the lower-left corner of the main screen.

2. Select All Apps, and then find your game in the list.

3. Right-click the game tile, and then select Uninstall.

4. Follow the steps to uninstall the game.

5. To reinstall your game, open the Store app, and then select the profile button.

6. Select My Library.

7. Locate your game in the list of available downloads, and then select the download icon to the right.

If you installed your game from a location other than the Microsoft Store, such as a DVD or external storage device, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows button on your device or keyboard, or select the Windows icon in the lower-left corner of the main screen.

2. Select Settings, and then in the search bar, type “Programs and features.”

3. Select Programs and Features from the search results.

4. Highlight your game in the list of available programs and apps.

5. If your game supports repair, Repair will appear as an option above the list of games. Select this option to access the in-game repair process. Alternatively, some games support repair via the Uninstall/Change options. If you don't see "Repair," select Uninstall
    or Change from the available options and check to see if the game supports repair.

I hope my suggestions help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Wilfred P.

Independent Advisor

WiIfred P, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

Unable to delete files stored in SystemRestore for games uninstalled years ago.

1. Unable to delete files stored in SystemRestore for games uninstalled years ago. - Similar Threads - Unable delete files

2. SystemRestore folder in System Volume Information folder DELETION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SystemRestore folder in System Volume Information folder DELETION: Hello, I have Windows 10 Pro. I tried to restore my system to a previous restore point recently but this failed IDK why but no problem, my problem was fixed..But I found that the C drive became filled with 20 GB out of nowhere... After searching in this problem I found that a...
  3. An old account that was deleted years ago keeps asking to be signed in

in Windows 10 Customization
    An old account that was deleted years ago keeps asking to be signed in: An old account that was deleted years ago keeps asking to be signed in. How do I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-old-account-that-was-deleted-years-ago-keeps/535c078b-39d0-493b-85c2-cb66bf522620
  4. An old account that was deleted years ago keeps asking to be signed in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An old account that was deleted years ago keeps asking to be signed in: An old account that was deleted years ago keeps asking to be signed in. How do I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-old-account-that-was-deleted-years-ago-keeps/535c078b-39d0-493b-85c2-cb66bf522620
  5. An old account that was deleted years ago keeps asking to be signed in

6. deleted microsoft store game installation file

deleted microsoft store game installation file: I tried to download sea of thieves and accidentely when I was trying to delete its previous download, I got rid of the microsoft store default installation file and now when I want to delete anything It only shows me that it is downloading, but nothing happens. What can I...
  7. Unable to uninstall Windows Store Games

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to uninstall Windows Store Games: I have several Microsoft Store games that do not have the option to uninstall. The button is just greyed out. Is there a fix for this? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-uninstall-windows-store-games/0977044a-a373-4917-b28a-503e274155f9
  8. 61 GB file in the SystemRestore folder I can’t delete

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    61 GB file in the SystemRestore folder I can’t delete: So a while back I played Metro Exodus with game pass vor pc and somewhere around that time Windows must have created some sort of backup with it in it. The file sits in C:\Program Files(x86)\System Volume Information\SystemRestore\AppxStaging\Program Files\WindowsApps\MSIXVC...
  9. Stuttering games since more than a year ago

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuttering games since more than a year ago: This is my PC I built since August 2017: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2Cw6Mp I made post on many places like this AMD: https://community.amd.com/thread/238265 https://community.amd.com/message/2917295 Nvidia:...
  10. Unable to delete uninstalled program

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to delete uninstalled program: hi, I've been researching for a day to trying resolve this issue and cant seem to find a fix. I have tried deleting the files through Regedit and still having issues. I uninstalled autocad 360, but for some reason its still showing up under devices and drivers as well...