Windows 10: Unable to delete old users network folder, only user has mutation rights

Discus and support Unable to delete old users network folder, only user has mutation rights in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So there is a user that has been removed a couple of months ago and there was still a network folder of the user remaining on there.At the time only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Koen Hendrix, Nov 11, 2022.

1. Unable to delete old users network folder, only user has mutation rights

So there is a user that has been removed a couple of months ago and there was still a network folder of the user remaining on there.At the time only the user had ownership and mutation rights so even as an admin I can't directly remove the folder from the network drive.With Veeam I restored the users account but this was ineffective as it treated the user as a different kind of user that has no rights to change the folder.Can someone help me fix this?

:)

Koen Hendrix, Nov 11, 2022
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Problem wth user folders - cannot delete the remnant folder

Hi Marin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Make sure that all the files that you requires is transferred from the old user account. Then, take ownership of the main folder related to the old user and delete it. Follow the steps to take ownership

• Select the file or folder which you need to provide
      full permission

• Now right click on that file or folder and click on
      Properties.

• Click on the Security tab.

• Click on the user account through which you are logged in.
      Clicking on the user will show you the permissions set for the user pertinent to the
      folder.

• After you have viewed the permissions that are already set, you can now click on the
      Advanced Button that is right below the "Permissions for Authenticated Users".

• Once you have clicked Advanced, a box would appear, the "Permission Entries" box, which shows all the
      permissions that are set for the users.

• Now, after you have spotted the
      user
      whose permissions you wish to change, click "Change Permissions".

• Click on the user you would like to
      edit, and then click the option that says "Change Permissions" which is
      right below the box. To change permission you have to click on
      edit.

• Once edit is clicked, you are going to get the same box pop up but this time you can actually edit the options. You can do that by clicking the "Administrators" user
      again, and this time, you are going to click the "Edit" option.
    Also please let us know if you have made any changes to the location of picture and videos library.
    For the issue with Pictures and videos folder. as you are unable to open follow the steps below.

• Right click on the Start button
      and click on File explorer.
    • Right click on the Picture folder and click on Restore previous version.
    • Follow the same steps for Video folder.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Nov 11, 2022
  3. Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Unable to delete old users network folder, only user has mutation rights 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Nov 11, 2022
  4. Unable to delete old users network folder, only user has mutation rights

Accidental user folder deletion

Hi Spartan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

While deleting the old user account did you get any prompt to save the data of the user account?

Let’s check if you have the old user account folder present in the location C:\ Users. If you have it there, follow the steps given in this link to retrieve the data from the old user account to the new user account.

Fix a corrupted user profile .Also applicable for Windows 10

Windows help & learning

If you don’t have the old user account folder name listed in C:\Users try to perform System Restore and check if that helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click
      System
    • Click System Protection
    • Click System Restore and click Next
    Choose a restore time when you think it was working fine. If you do not see any date when you think it was working fine, you click to check the box at the bottom which says, "Show more restore points".

Select a date and follow the instructions

Important: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you have installed after that date are removed.

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Nov 11, 2022
Thema:

Unable to delete old users network folder, only user has mutation rights

1. Unable to delete old users network folder, only user has mutation rights - Similar Threads - Unable delete old

2. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted user folder: Hey Microsoft, I deleted my user folder on my Windows folder, to try to get space to reset my pc. I did not create a restore point. My apps such as my Microsoft Edge, chrome, file explorer do not work. I don't know what to do. Please help me. My pc is not working. And yes I...
  3. Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users: Hello,I would like to delete an old user's folder in C:\Users but there is the folder AppData and the file NTUSER.DAT which prevent me from doing so. Is there a solution to this problem I've also tried taking ownership of the folder, but it doesn't fix my...
  4. Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users

Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users: Hello,I would like to delete an old user's folder in C:\Users but there is the folder AppData and the file NTUSER.DAT which prevent me from doing so. Is there a solution to this problem I've also tried taking ownership of the folder, but it doesn't fix my...
  5. Unable to delete old users network folder, only user has mutation rights

Unable to delete old users network folder, only user has mutation rights: So there is a user that has been removed a couple of months ago and there was still a network folder of the user remaining on there.At the time only the user had ownership and mutation rights so even as an admin I can't directly remove the folder from the network drive.With...
  6. Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User: I used the 'restore from backup' option from control panel on my new win11 notebookusing a backup of my old win10 laptop. A seperate User folder for the data was created by default, but no actual user profile. Trying to delete the User folder results in this error: "you need...
  7. Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User

Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User: I used the 'restore from backup' option from control panel on my new win11 notebookusing a backup of my old win10 laptop. A seperate User folder for the data was created by default, but no actual user profile. Trying to delete the User folder results in this error: "you need...
  8. Need help deleting a user folder that has no user account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help deleting a user folder that has no user account: I already deleted a user account, I chose the option to delete files along with the user but for some reason the folder stays and the appdata is still there taking up 31gb of space. I'm trying to delete it but it is not working at all. I tried taking ownership, disable read...
  9. How Delete an Old "Users" Folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How Delete an Old "Users" Folders: Hi, I build a PC in 2014 and installed W7 and I changed the user profile folders path in the registry for new users to be created on a drive "E:\Users" different from my small ssd "C:" drive. I have already updated to W10 and I am having some small problems, but I can not...
  10. Deleted User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted User Folders: I have two users whose accounts have been deleted but their folders under C Users are re-created on restart after deleting them. Hang over from W7 but can anyone help me permanently delete the in W10? 9655