Windows 10: Unable to delete or rename folders

Discus and support Unable to delete or rename folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am sorry, but what the hell is going on Windows 10? Three days ago my windows forced me to restart the pc and accept the update. But after windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Thomas.Ws, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Thomas.Ws Win User

Unable to delete or rename folders

I am sorry, but what the hell is going on Windows 10?

Three days ago my windows forced me to restart the pc and accept the update. But after windows start again trapped in blue page. I made boot file by hand and windows started finally. But after that day my pc is handling 100 percents of disk usage when is working with Windows explorer. I am a java programmer and work with eclipse. It does not work any more. I want to delete some folders and I did for several times but after hours because of 100 disk usage they still exist. I understood can not rename folders too. Why? What is the problem? This is third time that have to reinstall my windows? I did every thing that exist in internet.

I received this error when tried to rename:

Can not read from source or disk.

:)

Thomas.Ws, Apr 22, 2021

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Unable to delete or rename folders :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Unable to delete or rename folders :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 22, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Apr 22, 2021
  4. Unable to delete or rename folders

Unable to create a new folder or rename a folder

Hi Edver,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I'll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that you may not be able to rename or add a new folder from Quick access. It will allow you to open the folders that are frequently used, recently viewed files or the files/folders that are added to
    Quick access.

If you are unable to create or rename files/folders in other folders as well, then I would suggest you to run a SFC scan.

System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Apr 22, 2021
Thema:

Unable to delete or rename folders

1. Unable to delete or rename folders - Similar Threads - Unable delete rename

2. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  3. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  4. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot delete or rename folder

Cannot delete or rename folder: I would like to delete a folder that is in my Documents folder, which is in my One Drive folder, but I am unable to do so and I receive the error message attached below. Based on the error message and from searches I did online, it seems that there is a permission issue. I...
  6. Cannot delete or rename folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete or rename folder: I would like to delete a folder that is in my Documents folder, which is in my One Drive folder, but I am unable to do so and I receive the error message attached below. Based on the error message and from searches I did online, it seems that there is a permission issue. I...
  7. Cannot delete or rename folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unable to rename folders.

Unable to rename folders.: Since an update, am now unable to rename folder, getting an error message saying it "can't find specified file" "Make sure you specify the correct path and file name". Have no idea why this has happened and have looked at several methods, however and dubious about downloading...
  9. Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems

Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems: Hi all, I recently allowed the Windows update to v1903 and all looked OK, except I know have a c:\users\xxxxx.000 directory (where xxxxx is the user name). Anyway, while trying to ensure everything was OK with OneDrive, somehow I managed to create a directory call "desktop "...
  10. Unable to rename a folder to COM

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to rename a folder to COM: Hi friends Unable to rename a folder to "COM" Error "The specified device name is invalid" this picture of error https://3sotbar.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Capture.jpg...