Windows 10: Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop

Discus and support Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a problem which seems minor but I think is major for me. I have two shortcuts of software that I have already uninstalled from my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FuryPhalanx, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop

Hi,

I have a problem which seems minor but I think is major for me. I have two shortcuts of software that I have already uninstalled from my computer on my desktop. I wanted to delete them but it doesn't delete. I've tried right clicking it and delete, pressing the delete button on my keyboard and going to the desktop folder in File Explorer to delete them. Nothing seems to work. I tried deleting them in safe mode but to no avail. I figured it was a virus but both Malwarebytes and Avast does not pick anything up. I decided to ignore them.

Why do I suspect its a virus? After awhile of ignoring them, I tried to open malwarebytes but it does not seem to open so I googled it. Apparently, a cause of it was that a virus was stopping Malwarebytes from opening. I understand this is an issue which I should be asking in the Malwarebytes forums but this was an important thing to include on this thread.

I need some help with this as it is still not confirmed if this is a virus issue and on the off chance its not, I need some help on how to delete this file.

Something to note:

I've done

-Disk Cleanup

-Right Clicking and deleting the files

-Pressing the delete button on my keyboard

-Going into safe mode and deleting them

-Running chkdsk

-Going into services.msc to configure the startup type of Windows Management Instrumentation to Automatic as stated in a thread of someone who faced the same problem as me

I would appreciate if someone could help me out with this. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

FuryPhalanx

:)

FuryPhalanx, Mar 29, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Desktop shortcuts

Shortcuts can "live" in two places:

• In your own profile folder (C:\Users\Luke\Desktop). They are visible to you only.
    • In the public profile folder (C:\Users\Public\Desktop). They are visible to all users.
    You should now know why the deleted shortcut disappeared from both desktops.

Deleting a shortcut does NOT delete the file or folder it refers to. I recommend you run some tests to confirm this.

Frederik Long, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop

1. Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop - Similar Threads - Unable delete shortcuts

2. Unable to delete a desktop shortcut, maybe a virus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete a desktop shortcut, maybe a virus?: I have a desktop shortcut that magically showed up on my desktop. I can't delete it or rename it. At first it was showing Java script URL. Nothing happens when i try to delete it. Also says that i am of this file and i can add permissions to access it. It says "Set Delivery...
  3. Unable to delete a desktop shortcut, maybe a virus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete a desktop shortcut, maybe a virus?: I have a desktop shortcut that magically showed up on my desktop. I can't delete it or rename it. At first it was showing Java script URL. Nothing happens when i try to delete it. Also says that i am of this file and i can add permissions to access it. It says "Set Delivery...
  4. Unable to delete a desktop shortcut, maybe a virus?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Unable to delete folders on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete folders on my desktop: Hi -I have 3 folders on my desktop and I have been unable to delete them. They were sync'ed to cloud. I deleted the folders in the cloud. But I have been unable to delete them in my local. I went through discussions and forum and tried below options. But none of them help.1....
  6. Unable to delete folders on my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete folders on my desktop: Hi -I have 3 folders on my desktop and I have been unable to delete them. They were sync'ed to cloud. I deleted the folders in the cloud. But I have been unable to delete them in my local. I went through discussions and forum and tried below options. But none of them help.1....
  7. Unable to delete a folder on my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to delete a folder on my desktop: I have this folder on my desktop and I want to delete thatbut when I delete that I'm getting this error message why is this happening and what am I suppose to do?...
  8. can't delete desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete desktop shortcuts: [ATTACH] everytime i try to delete something it says "item not found" and turning into a globe https://preview.redd.it/394w025d6yp61.png?width=84&format=png&auto=webp&s=c967e10948be142ae9ebbf7ae8b96ef61135c10b submitted by /u/xander1090 [link] [comments]...
  9. Desktop Shortcuts won't delete

Desktop Shortcuts won't delete: I have some desktop shortcuts that won't delete when I right-click on them and select delete. I get the following error message: [ATTACH] I have tried to find these files using the command prompt and they don't show up when I use dir. I suspect the issue is because I have...
  10. Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.

Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.: I have noticed for a while now that certain shortcuts on my desktop keep disappearing into the trashcan, it leaves a blank white space where the shortcut was! I restore them back from the trashcan only to find them back in the trash a little while later, any suggestions...