Windows 10: Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows

Discus and support Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was updating my laptop I think and now when I boot it up it gives me the BSOD. And then when it restarts it starts the automatic repair. But then it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Luis Lucero1, May 26, 2024.

1. Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows

I was updating my laptop I think and now when I boot it up it gives me the BSOD. And then when it restarts it starts the automatic repair. But then it says it can’t and I tried everything I could find like trying to reset it, check the drive in command prompt, do different commands and I even tried a Windows bootable usb but my hard drive didn’t pop up and then I was stupid to reset the BIOS settings to default, and when I did that, it made the USB not get detected so now I don’t know what to do now. So if y’all can help me that would be great. And I think all this has to do with the system an

:)

Luis Lucero1, May 26, 2024
  2. Ray HP Win User

Windows 10 unable to detect USB pendrive except USB connection.

Yesterday morning my computer cannot detect my pendrive. I tried every USB port but none of them works. I'm also uninstalled & reinstalled portable device & universal serial bus controller drivers but even this method failed to work. Weirdly, my computer can detect my smartphone usb connection & the ESET Internet Security's antimalware able to scan my pendrive so I ruled out the USB ports fault. I don't think my pendrive is damaged because I bought it last Friday. If I'm not mistaken, this problem appeared since the new Windows update for Windows 10 1511 to Windows 10 1709. Nevertheless, I refused to make immediate conclusion without further advices from the expert.
    Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows 176557d1518306662t-windows-10-unable-detect-usb-pendrive-except-usb-connection-pendrive1.png

Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows 176558d1518306680t-windows-10-unable-detect-usb-pendrive-except-usb-connection-pendrive2.png

Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows 176559d1518306693t-windows-10-unable-detect-usb-pendrive-except-usb-connection-pendrive3.png

Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows 176561d1518306723t-windows-10-unable-detect-usb-pendrive-except-usb-connection-usb1.png

Ray HP, May 26, 2024
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 26, 2024
  4. Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows

usb external harddrive is not detected

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with detecting external hard drive via USB 3.0 port, this issue might have occurred due to corrupted or out dated port drivers.

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check.

Method 1: Run Hardware troubleshooter as it will help in resolving the issues with hardware and resolve any simple issues found.

• Write Troubleshooting
      in the search box and hit Enter.

• Click on Troubleshooting
      tab.

• Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

• Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.

• Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the USB driver for the computer and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows and X together and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate the Universal Serial Bus Controller and expand the driver icon.

• Right Click on all the USB driver icon and select
      Uninstall
    Restart the computer. After restarting the computer, USB driver will automatically be installed.

As an additional resource, please refer to the below links and check if it helps.

Install USB 3.0 and other USB devices

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Kindly get back with the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 26, 2024
Thema:

Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows

1. Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows - Similar Threads - Unable detect USB

2. Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows: I was updating my laptop I think and now when I boot it up it gives me the BSOD. And then when it restarts it starts the automatic repair. But then it says it can’t and I tried everything I could find like trying to reset it, check the drive in command prompt, do different...
  3. Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to detect USB to reinstall Windows: I was updating my laptop I think and now when I boot it up it gives me the BSOD. And then when it restarts it starts the automatic repair. But then it says it can’t and I tried everything I could find like trying to reset it, check the drive in command prompt, do different...
  4. Unable to ReInstall Windows 11 from USB Media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to ReInstall Windows 11 from USB Media: Hello,I accidentally wiped my hard drive 512gb NVMe, and lost my Windows installation. I know I can't recover anything from it. I downloaded the Windows Install Media Creation and made a Windows 11 bootable USB. However, when I start it up on my ASUS F15PM Gaming Laptop 11th...
  5. Unable to ReInstall Windows 11 from USB Media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to ReInstall Windows 11 from USB Media: Hello,I accidentally wiped my hard drive 512gb NVMe, and lost my Windows installation. I know I can't recover anything from it. I downloaded the Windows Install Media Creation and made a Windows 11 bootable USB. However, when I start it up on my ASUS F15PM Gaming Laptop 11th...
  6. Unable to detect windows xbox controller using USB port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to detect windows xbox controller using USB port: I am trying to connect my windows Xbox controller to my PC running on Windows 10. Earlier it would detect but since a recent windows update the controller is not getting detected. The controller does vibrate when I plug it in but the light on the controller doesn't glow. I...
  7. Windows 10 - Unable to detect USB devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - Unable to detect USB devices: Hi I have a new Windows Computer. The computer is not able to recognise any of the USB devices. When I insert a USB thumb drive or USB dongle, I am not seeing them on "my computer" or anywhere in the system. Is there any setting to make USB active? The OS is Windows 10...
  8. unable to detect usb portable harddisk

unable to detect usb portable harddisk: Before I am able to detect my 2 of my usb portable hard disk and lately it fail to detect on my ASUS laptop. I have tried all the 3 different usb ports in the laptop as well as changing the usb cable but no success. However, both portable hard disks works fine on my other...
  9. Windows Reinstall with USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Reinstall with USB: Recently I was playing videoganes on my CyberPower PC and noticed some stuttering/lag that was unusual. I decieded to perform a system restore to see if that would fix. System restore ended up getting stuck (left running for 8 hours). I restarted the computer and now windows...
  10. Windows 10 unable to detect USB pendrive except USB connection.

Windows 10 unable to detect USB pendrive except USB connection.: Yesterday morning my computer cannot detect my pendrive. I tried every USB port but none of them works. I'm also uninstalled & reinstalled portable device & universal serial bus controller drivers but even this method failed to work. Weirdly, my computer can detect my...