Windows 10: Unable to disable delivery optimization, insane bandwidth consumption!

Discus and support Unable to disable delivery optimization, insane bandwidth consumption! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can't leave my network activity idle for a few hours without finding this terrible service downloading what I can only persume to be windows updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by S540786, May 12, 2020.

1. S540786 Win User

Unable to disable delivery optimization, insane bandwidth consumption!

I can't leave my network activity idle for a few hours without finding this terrible service downloading what I can only persume to be windows updates without my permission. I don't have the bandwidth and data to keep updating windows at Microsoft's whim.

I have seen this thread and it was locked even though it wasn't solved.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-service/967124c9-019a-4b31-b336-b55b80e59bcc

I run the services app as an administrator and I still get access denied when trying to change anything in delivery optimization. I tried the registry approach and it still didn't work. Why is windows so keen on consuming what little bandwidth I have, even though I have the "pause updates" option? I understand the importance of updates and try to update whenever I can, but I don't like this underhanded approach of coercing updates against the user's desires. It makes it impossible to plan my data consumption when I unexpectedly find that my daily bandwidth was consumed 2 hours into the day.

I also tried this command using powershell as admin:

Set-Service DoSvc -StartupType Disabled.

I get the same access denied error in CLI format.

Why is this happening and how can I change it? My windows version is 1903.

:)

S540786, May 12, 2020

2. Unable to disable Delivery Optimization service

After recent Windows update v1809 (Build 17763.79), I am unable to disable Delivery Optimization service. This constantly consumes by internet bandwidth in the background which makes the web surfing very slow. Whenever I try to disable this service it says
    "Access Denied".

Please note that I am using Admin account and have also recently formatted my system twice to figure out the issue. But that did not solve the problem. Any suggestion what can be done?? Thanks in advance.

Subhadeep Kanungo, May 12, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    How does Windows Delivery Optimization detect the bandwidth available?

Hi Jason,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In the heart of the Windows kernel there is a networking stack. It contains a suite of algorithms that would determine the available bandwidth.

You can use the PowerShell cmdlets to monitor the delivery optimization.
    Get-DeliveryOptimizationStatusreturns a real-time snapshot of all current Delivery Optimization jobs. For more information, I would suggest you
    to refer to the article: Set up Delivery Optimization for Windows 10 updates

Additional info:

If you have further queries, I would suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet Forums, where we have support professionals
    well equipped with the knowledge on Delivery Optimization.

Junaid_A, May 12, 2020
  4. halfey Win User

Windows 10 - Delivery Optimization hogging bandwidth

Uh sorry but it appears in many cases disabling Windows Store update actually works. Just look at the first page where my suggestion being marked as helpful by 100+ users is proof enough that disabling Windows Store update solves the problem for many who
    experienced bandwidth hogging even after they modified the Delivery Optimization settings. YMMV

halfey, May 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to disable delivery optimization, insane bandwidth consumption! - Similar Threads - Unable disable delivery

2. Delivery optimization stealing bandwidth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delivery optimization stealing bandwidth: For the FIFTH TIME, windows delivery optimization has stolen over 30g in one hour. No solutions to turn it off have worked. My bandwidth is limited, and I pay for everything Microsoft steals. Standby for the class action lawsuit....
  3. Delivery optimization stealing bandwidth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delivery optimization stealing bandwidth: For the FIFTH TIME, windows delivery optimization has stolen over 30g in one hour. No solutions to turn it off have worked. My bandwidth is limited, and I pay for everything Microsoft steals. Standby for the class action lawsuit....
  4. Delivery optimization stealing bandwidth

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Limit bandwidth in Delivery Optimization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Limit bandwidth in Delivery Optimization: Hello,I tried using Delivery Optimization Advanced Settings but could not see any effect on the download rate of Xbox Install queue.For example If I set if to [x] Absolute Bandwidth [x] Limit background: 1 Mbps [x] Limit foreground: 1 MbpsIt corresponds to about 4 MB/s during...
  6. Limit bandwidth in Delivery Optimization

Limit bandwidth in Delivery Optimization: Hello,I tried using Delivery Optimization Advanced Settings but could not see any effect on the download rate of Xbox Install queue.For example If I set if to [x] Absolute Bandwidth [x] Limit background: 1 Mbps [x] Limit foreground: 1 MbpsIt corresponds to about 4 MB/s during...
  7. Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable: Hi, delivery optimization is using all of my bandwidth, when I look under task manager it is under the process Service Host: Network Service, expanding this shows that it is delivery optimization using the bandwidth. I tried ending the task, but it restarts itself after a few...
  8. Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable

Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable: Hi, delivery optimization is using all of my bandwidth, when I look under task manager it is under the process Service Host: Network Service, expanding this shows that it is delivery optimization using the bandwidth. I tried ending the task, but it restarts itself after a few...
  9. Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Unable to disable Delivery Optimization service

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to disable Delivery Optimization service: After recent Windows update v1809 (Build 17763.79), I am unable to disable Delivery Optimization service. This constantly consumes by internet bandwidth in the background which makes the web surfing very slow. Whenever I try to disable this service it says "Access Denied"....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delivery optimization turns on even when disabled in registry