Windows 10: Unable to disable or stop Windows 10 update service

Discus and support Unable to disable or stop Windows 10 update service in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I can no longer stop Windows 10 update service from the command prompt (net stop wuauserv) or from the Services.msc console. All options are grayed... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tom the coder, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Unable to disable or stop Windows 10 update service

I can no longer stop Windows 10 update service from the command prompt (net stop wuauserv) or from the Services.msc console. All options are grayed out. When I try it from the cmd prompt running as admin, I get "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.", even signed in as admin. This just started today. Winver is 1709 16299.847

Current update status is manual. I want to change it to be disabled. A few months ago, a real MS tech (not the scammers with the fake BSOD) disabled it permanently for me using registry settings, but over the last week the status has changed on its own to started & manual. I would go in, stop it & disable it. Now I can't disable it or stop it. I do not want to mess with the registry.

I don't want an Windows 10 software updates since they remove Windows 10 legit software, wipe out my printer & change the GUI to make it resemble a smart phone I don't want my PC to look & operate like my smartphone- I'm happy with it the way it is.

I'm happy getting security updates.

:)

Tom the coder, Dec 21, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 21, 2018
  3. Mussels Win User
    Mussels, Dec 21, 2018
  4. Unable to disable or stop Windows 10 update service

Cannot disable services thru MSCONFIG

Hi All
    Cannot get any updates for my windows 10 PC - update service hanging - am now 1 year out of date
    Tried to stop/start Windows Update service but that comes back with 'unable to stop service'
    Suggestion was to try a clean start by disabling non MS services
    Tried this but every time I try to disable the services everything hangs (not responding) and I have to hard reboot the PC. Even tried just disabling a couple of services (printer related) and that froze everything too

Any help really appreciated

stevec 123, Dec 21, 2018
Thema:

Unable to disable or stop Windows 10 update service

1. Unable to disable or stop Windows 10 update service - Similar Threads - Unable disable stop

2. Disable Windows Update Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows Update Service: Hi,We have Microsoft Team Room TAP and having Windows 11 22H2.I wanted to disable Windows Update as it creates problem sometimes windows stuck on completing windows update process therefore i wanted to permantely disable Windows Update service. To do this Disabled Windows...
  3. windows update download stuck, unable to stop service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update download stuck, unable to stop service: My windows update download is stuck mid download.Reboots etc did nothing to help.I then tried net stop wuauserv and got the following message that the service could not be stopped.Advice please...
  4. windows update download stuck, unable to stop service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows update download stuck, unable to stop service: My windows update download is stuck mid download.Reboots etc did nothing to help.I then tried net stop wuauserv and got the following message that the service could not be stopped.Advice please...
  5. Disabling Windows Update Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling Windows Update Service: Long story short: Windows 11 downloaded itself on my computer. For 2 months I was able to keep pausing it as I do not want to install Windows 11 yet. Last time I went to pause it you need to check for updates first before you can pause again, it started the process of...
  6. Windows Update services is disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update services is disabled: In windows update tab it is "One of the update services is not running properly, but you can try to run a troubleshooter to fix the problem. Go to Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then select Windows Update."...
  7. Unable to stop service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to stop service: Hi, I'm unable to stop windows update service from task manager by right clicking and selecting stop. I'm getting an error that says "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied" I tried using taskkill /pid /f command but the service starts automatically...
  8. Unable to Disable Windows 10 Update.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to Disable Windows 10 Update.: I am Unable to Disable my Windows Update as the Services>Windows Update Tab is Freezed and I am unable to click anything to Disable it. Here's a screenshot please take a look. Note : I have updated my Windows 10 to the latest update and my Laptop didn't work properly so, I...
  9. Unable to Disable Windows 10 Update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Disable Windows 10 Update.: I am Unable to Disable my Windows Update as the Services>Windows Update Tab is Freezed and I am unable to click anything to Disable it. Here's a screenshot please take a look. Note : I have updated my Windows 10 to the latest update and my Laptop didn't work properly so, I...
  10. Start, Stop, and Disable Services in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Start, Stop, and Disable Services in Windows 10: How to: Start, Stop, and Disable Services in Windows 10 How to Start, Stop, Restart, Enable, and Disable Services in Windows 10 [img] Information A service is an application type that runs in the system background without a user interface and is similar to a UNIX...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to stop windows update service

2. unable to stop wuauserv

3. windows update facilitation service disable

4. unable to stop service windows 10,
  5. unable to start Windows update service,
  6. unable to stop windows update in services,
  7. unable to stop windows 10 update services,
  8. unable to disable windows updates services,
  9. windows 10 unable to stop service,
  10. cant disable windows update service ,
  11. i cant stop windows update it says the service is invalid,