Windows 10: unable to discover desktop computer on private network

Discus and support unable to discover desktop computer on private network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am unable to discover my desktop computer on private network. My desktop can access my laptop but not the otherway round. It used to be fully useable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mechatech, Mar 11, 2020.

1. mechatech Win User

unable to discover desktop computer on private network

I am unable to discover my desktop computer on private network. My desktop can access my laptop but not the otherway round. It used to be fully useable a few weeks ago.

:)

mechatech, Mar 11, 2020

2. XP being able to discover W10 computers on my private network

Hope this works...

unable to discover desktop computer on private network [​IMG]

brucemc777, Mar 11, 2020
  3. Error: "Can create home group in private network only" - the wireless network is private though

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about connecting to HomeGroup network with error: Can create home group in private network only, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that this issue might have occurred due to settings in the Network type on Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to check with the network type on Windows 10, try the below:

Right click on the Network icon in the System tray
    and click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Here you will see the network you are connected to and what type of network Windows 10 has identified it as. (Private/ Public).

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to change the network type to Private if it is not and check if it helps.

• Log-in as an Administrator, on the desktop, click on the Network system icon in the taskbar notification area.
    • Right click on your network connection and click on
      Turn sharing on or off
    • Click on Yes, turn on sharing and connect to devices.

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt and check if it helps.

For reference: HomeGroup problems in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 11, 2020
  4. godguy Win User

connecting laptop and desktop private network

Have an old win 7 laptop and a new win 10 desktop and laptop. The new desktop can see all. The new laptop cannot see the desktop but can see the win 7 laptop. Tried all the normal settings, private network, discover, adapter, manage network, trouble shooter,
    and firewall settings. Also a brand new router/wireless. Ran out of things to try.

godguy, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

1. unable to discover desktop computer on private network - Similar Threads - unable discover desktop

2. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  3. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  4. A computer on a private network not shown

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A computer on a private network not shown: I have two computers A and B on a private network using Ethernet.Computer A can access computer B, but B cannot access A.Computers both A and B use the following settings for the Private network in the "Advanced sharing settings" page.'Turn on network discovery' and 'Turn on...
  5. can't discover other computer on network

can't discover other computer on network: I have spent a lot of time with 3 different techs at Microsoft trying to fix the lack of discovery on my wifi network. Help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-discover-other-computer-on-network/a9047407-7e56-4560-be00-48c28e979630
  6. Main computer discovered on Public but not Private Profile

Main computer discovered on Public but not Private Profile: Hi, I am running Windows 10 on two home computers. I have them networked together via ethernet cable to my ATT modem/router. If I make my Ethernet profile Public, both computers One and Two are present/discovered, but if I change the setting to Private, only computer Two is...
  7. Discovering Desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Discovering Desktops: Whether you say "Virtual Desktops" or "Multiple Desktops" it is one terrific ability in your Windows 10 Operating System. Before any words as to why this is true, this is the concern... It has come to my attention that many End Users may not, even, be aware this exists, let...
  8. Network computers not being discovered

Network computers not being discovered: Hi, I really hope somebody can help me. I have 3 computers A and B and C as follows A Win 10 Pro ver 1803 (MAIN) B Win 10 Pro ver 1809 (SLAVE) C Win 10 Pro ver 1809 (NUC) all connected by ethernet cable to a switch, the switch is then ethernet connected to the...
  9. connecting laptop and desktop private network

connecting laptop and desktop private network: Have an old win 7 laptop and a new win 10 desktop and laptop. The new desktop can see all. The new laptop cannot see the desktop but can see the win 7 laptop. Tried all the normal settings, private network, discover, adapter, manage network, trouble shooter, and firewall...
  10. XP being able to discover W10 computers on my private network

XP being able to discover W10 computers on my private network: This one will be a no-brainer for you folks... Up until a recent security update for XP that I loaded maybe a week or less ago, I had no problems at all. I can not explore my workgroup ("Buffy", just to irritate my wife) from my XP computer (both the XP and the W10...