Windows 10: Unable to do a clean install of W10 from disk to SSD on Dell T5820 workstation

Discus and support Unable to do a clean install of W10 from disk to SSD on Dell T5820 workstation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to do a "clean install" of W10 from disk on my new T5820. 1. I tried to do so after setting the firmware to "Legacy" and selecting SATA AHCI.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RonHoffman2, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Unable to do a clean install of W10 from disk to SSD on Dell T5820 workstation

I want to do a "clean install" of W10 from disk on my new T5820.

1. I tried to do so after setting the firmware to "Legacy" and selecting SATA AHCI. The install seemed to be going normally until I got to the "100%" indication and got a message about "TPM". It said something like this, "...You've changed from the preferred install. (AHCI instead of UEFI, I presume). If you want to keep those changes, hit "esc". If you want to revert those changes, hit F12". (Queries could be reversed, I don't remember.) I did one of them first, and the installation program began again on its own. When it got to the same TPM message again, I did the other. The machine once again began the installation program all over again on its own and then stopped with the same TPM question. Attempted the install 2 times each way. IOW... regardless of which option I chose, it would not continue the install.

2. I tried again from "UEFI with legacy ROM enabled". But first....

I tried to run a Low Level Format on a drive from W10 and got an error message, "Unable to continue. Unable to lock the drive." So.. I ran the LLF utility from my W7 machine and it appeared to function normally.

After the LLF, I tried to again do a clean install of W10 from the disk. I got an error message, "Drive on which Windows is installed is locked. Unlock and try again". (Nothing nor Windows was installed on that drive.)

So... LLF on one utility says "unable to lock the drive". On the other, it says, "drive locked". Which is it? Can't be both at the same time...

3. I tried doing a clean install by overwriting a functioning drive with W10 on it. Once again, I got the message, "drive locked".

4. I tried again with a new drive... one which had never been partitioned or formatted. Same message... "drive locked".

I searched online and found this problem. Most of suggested solutions said to get into the "UEFI settings", I guess to verify or change some setting... but I am unable to do that. I don't have that as a choice. I only have the choice of "UEFI" or "Legacy". I can "reset UEFI settings to be as the manufactured shipped"... but nothing else. I cannot see the actual settings.

So, here's where I am...

1. Does Dell have a fix to correct this "drive locked" issue?

2. Is there some UEFI setting I've got wrong? If so, what are the proper settings and how do I get into the UEFI settings page to correct?

3. Or... has Dell made it impossible to install W10 from a disk?? Am I forced to install W10 "Dell's way"... from flash drive only... after downloading from Dell's website?

:)

RonHoffman2, Jan 25, 2019

2. Change out to SSD and a Clean install

Want to change out a HDD to SSD and also do a clean install (with no risk to licenses)
    of W10.

What is best sequence.

Install SSD first, do clean install pointing at SSD or do Clean install on HDD then move to SSD ?

Sargan_499, Jan 25, 2019
  3. ordipc Win User
    ssd disk installation

hey hey there!

it is yr favorite IT GOD - me.... .And so I decided to change my old disk to SSD, got myself a Kingston sata 3 uv400 240gb, as I understood, it needs to be installed not only physically in my pc case, but also some bios manipulations needed as well.Here
    I will have serious and big problems!!!!all that I have seen here is about w10 on SSD, I will need this too, but can someone give me a link with every step that I need to take for a healthy change???pls mortals, please...

ordipc, Jan 25, 2019
  4. taskerus Win User

Unable to do a clean install of W10 from disk to SSD on Dell T5820 workstation

windows 10 clean install product key

Upgrade from W7 to W10 on old HDD and clean install on new SSD?

I just purchased a new dell computer with Windows 7 Pro installed on a HDD.

I want to change the HDD to a SSD and upgrade from W7 to W10.

I want to do a clean install of W10 on the new SSD and install the appropriate device drivers.

It is my understanding that before I do a clean install on an empty drive I first need to upgrade to Windows 10 from an activated install of Windows 7, then when I do the clean install I can leave the product key blank and the clean install will still activate
    successfully?

My question has to do with the new SSD. The Dell computer is brand new .
    Can I do the Window 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on the old drive HDD and then put in the new SSD and do a clean install, or do I need to change the HDD to the SSD before doing the upgrade? which would then require than wiping the new SSD to do a clean install?

I would like to save the step of copying the Dell HDD image to the new SSD prior doing the upgrade, but I'm concerned that by upgrading on one drive and than trying to auto-activate on a new drive might result in an activation issue.

taskerus, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Unable to do a clean install of W10 from disk to SSD on Dell T5820 workstation

1. Unable to do a clean install of W10 from disk to SSD on Dell T5820 workstation - Similar Threads - Unable clean install

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Win 11 clean install - unable to see ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 clean install - unable to see ssd: I had a dismal attempt at upgrading from Win 10 to Win 11. I won't go into that. So I must do a clean install. My win 10 system is visible - sort of - with my sign in screen etc . I just can't sign in.I run the win 11 install created using the media creation tool. It sees no...
  4. Win 11 clean install - unable to see ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 clean install - unable to see ssd: I had a dismal attempt at upgrading from Win 10 to Win 11. I won't go into that. So I must do a clean install. My win 10 system is visible - sort of - with my sign in screen etc . I just can't sign in.I run the win 11 install created using the media creation tool. It sees no...
  5. Can't install W10 from flash disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install W10 from flash disk: Just d/l-ed W10 to a USB thumb drive via the MediaCreationTool2004.exe Comp Mgmt tells me it's FAT32 It looks like this: [img] When I power on the computer I am trying to install to, I see the thumb drive flash a few times. But I can't boot from it; I get: Reboot and...
  6. Can't do clean install on SSD

Can't do clean install on SSD: I keep getting "We couldn't create a partition or find and existing one". i already made a partition with Diskpart and verified it exists. I disconnected the other hard drives and still get the error. Is there something I have to change in the BIOS? 128599
  7. W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

W10 OS Clean Install on SSD: I'm currently wanting to install a 120GB SSD into my PC. 1) What I want to know is, will the OS on the HDD conflict with the one on the SSD after I do a clean install on it, and make it the boot disc? All I want to use it for is the OS and the games I'm playing the...
  8. Clean install of W10 - Unable to boot from USB drive?

Clean install of W10 - Unable to boot from USB drive?: Hi all, first post, so hoping I'm in the right place :/ ... I'm literally pulling what hair I have left out with this, normally this is a routine task for me, but I'm well and truly stumped, so thought I'd ask a Windows 10 community ... I have Windows 10 Education x64,...
  9. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....
  10. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install ssd t5820