Windows 10: Unable To Do Anything On Windows 10

Discus and support Unable To Do Anything On Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So this morning i woke up early to go to the doctor. i had time before i left so i played a game of counter strike. After the game, i turned my pc off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SuperSalty, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Unable To Do Anything On Windows 10

So this morning i woke up early to go to the doctor. i had time before i left so i played a game of counter strike. After the game, i turned my pc off and went to the doctor. When i got home i turned my pc on to find these errors

• An X Over My Audio Icon
    • An X Over My Internet Connection Icon
    • Windows Search Not Working
    • Start Menu Not Working
    • Cant Right Click On Apps On Task Bar

I Have Run Virus Scans, Typed "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Foreach{Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}" Into Windows Powershell, Restarted PC, Looked In Task Manager, Updated Drivers. I Really Need Help. Does Anyone Have Any Idea What Is Going On?

:)

SuperSalty, Jul 26, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Unable to do most anything on Windows 10 and now I'm locked out (no login screen)

Glenn,

The Start menu, Store, Edge, ... symptoms can often be caused by user profile corruption.

Create a new user and see if it has full functionality. Make it a password-protected
    local Admin user account both for testing and as a fallback in case your current user account is now fatally flawed. I have written out a set of elevated command prompt commands for all this because your
    Settings is not working.

1 Open an elevated command window by creating a shortcut

1.1 Right-click on a blank area in any convenient folder such as your desktop then select
    New, Shortcut.

1.2 In the input box that appears, enter cmd then click on Next.

1.3 In the name input box that now appears, enter something like Elevated command window [or anything else you might prefer] then click on
    Finish.

1.4 Right-click on the shortcut & select Properties.

1.5 In the Shortcut tab that you should now see, click on Advanced
    then set the checkbox for Run as Admin, OK, OK.

1.6 Double-click on the shortcut, give Admin approval to proceed and then a command window appears.

2 Use the command prompt to create a new Admin user & set its password.

• You can call the new user account almost whatever you like as long as no existing account uses the same name so do not call it
      Administrator, DefaultAccount or Guest and do not use the name of any of your own user accounts.
    • It is slightly easier to use a simple password initially so disconnect from the internet before following these steps. You can change the password later so you can just keep it simple for now as long as you do not go online until you have finished.
    • Avoid spaces in the name & password just to keep things simple, only use characters you can type on the keyboard and don't use any symbols in either of them that
      File explorer would reject if you tried using them in a filename [so, for example, do not use these * : < > / \ | " ?].
    • I use the username NewAdminAccount with a password 12345 here by way of example.
    In the elevated command prompt you have open,

[Enter net user if you need to see a list of the names used for your existing user accounts.]

Enter net user /add NewAdminAccount 12345

Enter net localgroup Administrators NewAdminAccount /add

3 Log in to the new account using any of the available methods. Given what you have said about your current limitations, I think you can press
    Ctrl-Alt-Del and then Sign out of your existing account and then log in to the new one.

4 Does the Start menu etc work in this new user account? If so then decide to use it for day-to-day computing instead of your previous account. Now take these steps,

4.1 Repeat the steps above to create a spare password-protected local Admin account so that, if the new one ever suffers from user profile corruption, you can get back in to your computer**. You could use the normal procedure in Settings, Account, Family
    & other users instead if you wanted since your new user account is working fully.

[** User profile corruption can & often does stop you even being able to log in to a defective account]

4.2.1 Change the password for the new user account you are logged in with to something suitably complex in Settings, Accounts, Sign-in options, Password - Change.

4.2.2 Change the password for any other new user account to something suitably complex without having to log in to them in Settings, Windows system, Control panel, User accounts, {User accounts - you sometimes need to select this twice,} Manage another
    account, {select the other local user account you created with a simple password}, Change the password.

4.2.3 You can now connect to the internet again.

4.3 Rescue all your own files from the defective user account using File explorer** or the more sophisticated procedure at

Fix a corrupted user profile [Windows 7 Help]
    {this method allows you to transfer all your various Windows & application settings into the new user account so you can avoid lots of work afterwards}. Personally, I have
    always had problems with that Windows 7 procedure so I just use File explorer to rescue files.

[** You will be able to get into the defective account's folders at C:\Users\UserName by giving yourself Admin permission to proceed when the system challenges you when you first open one of those folders.]

4.4.1 You might be able to fix the defective user account using Method 1 of the Windows 7 KB article
    You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon” error message KB947215 It is a bit of a longshot.

4.4.2 Somebody once claimed to have used Control panel, User accounts,
    Manage another account to change a faulty Admin account back to being a Standard account then back to being an Admin account again then back to being a Standard account then back to being an Admin account again and then cycled through this half a dozen
    times ending with it being an Admin account. After all this, the Admin account's fault had disappeared - it was fully functional again. Whilst it sounds quite strange it worked for that user.

• It is possible that trying this longshot might affect the system’s Restore points.
    • Everything that changes in a system’s settings increases the amount of work that System restore would have to do and therefore increases the chances of System restore failing.
    • Additionally, every change in a system is assessed by Windows and then restore points that it deems to be obsolete are deleted so this longshot might trigger such a deletion.

5 Reduce the chances of your accounts being afflicted with user profile corruption again by never forcefully powering off the computer unless the thing freezes up completely leaving you with no choice.

• Never turn it off by holding down the power button for several seconds [as opposed to just pressing it for a moment then letting go], and
    • Never turn it off by removing its power supply, and
    • Never turn it off while Windows update is trying to install updates.

Denis

Tryx3, Jul 26, 2016
  3. Unable to do most anything on Windows 10 and now I'm locked out (no login screen)

I resolved the login issue by booting into safe mode, running msconfig and restoring to normal startup instead of diagnostic startup. Of course, the original problem remains, which is that start menu, windows store, edge, outlook and the search bar do
    not work.

Glenn Caccia, Jul 26, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Unable To Do Anything On Windows 10

You need to post it as how you fixed it and also mark this as solved, so that the Check Mark shows in the topic lists.

bro67, Jul 26, 2016
Thema:

Unable To Do Anything On Windows 10

1. Unable To Do Anything On Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable Anything

2. Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset: Currently unable to do anything with my windows, it's fully locked up but I can still get into my programs and play games.I have already tried literally everything availablehere are some things I'm experience:occasionally a stack buffer overflow warning in settings and...
  3. Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset: Currently unable to do anything with my windows, it's fully locked up but I can still get into my programs and play games.I have already tried literally everything availablehere are some things I'm experience:occasionally a stack buffer overflow warning in settings and...
  4. Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows update troubleshooter not working and unable to update anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update troubleshooter not working and unable to update anything: This began after I had my laptop repaired after its ssd got destroyed. When I got it back everything looked okay until I realized that the person who fixed it installed pirated versions of microsoft office even though I could have reinstalled it legally. I am not sure if it...
  6. Windows update troubleshooter not working and unable to update anything

Windows update troubleshooter not working and unable to update anything: This began after I had my laptop repaired after its ssd got destroyed. When I got it back everything looked okay until I realized that the person who fixed it installed pirated versions of microsoft office even though I could have reinstalled it legally. I am not sure if it...
  7. Unable to complete anything entirely

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to complete anything entirely: An error displayed as “Bad image” just recently started to occur on my computer which led me to attempting to fix this. And as I was trying to fix this i have found more and more issues surrounding my computer, the main of which is that my computer has begun being unable to...
  8. Unable to complete anything entirely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to complete anything entirely: An error displayed as “Bad image” just recently started to occur on my computer which led me to attempting to fix this. And as I was trying to fix this i have found more and more issues surrounding my computer, the main of which is that my computer has begun being unable to...
  9. Unable to complete anything entirely

10. HELP!! PC BOOT LOOPING AND UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HELP!! PC BOOT LOOPING AND UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING: Boot loopingCant repair automatic repair Reset failedBootable drive not bootingNo system restore and failedEven safe mode boot loopingBias locked and even cemos battery trick not workingWhat can i do please help me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to do anything on the computer