Windows 10: Unable to do ethernet direct cable connect-homeuser

Discus and support Unable to do ethernet direct cable connect-homeuser in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been unable to do a direct cable connect. Settings are not available. In settings, to do a cable connect it asks for a name and ISP. There isn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by applevwindows10, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Unable to do ethernet direct cable connect-homeuser

I have been unable to do a direct cable connect. Settings are not available. In settings, to do a cable connect it asks for a name and ISP. There isn't any. I never had a problem doing this before and I can do it with my apple computer. It has now been 2 days trying to figure out how to do what should be the easiest connection. No problem with any wireless----not everyone has wireless! Your microsoft stores have a long way to go to match the apple stores. I have been very disappointed with the lack of information on solving this problem. Doesn't anyone realize that if you can't get a connection to the internet it is very difficult to communicate or download any patches.

:)

applevwindows10, Nov 12, 2015

2. After Windows 10 Upgrade, Edge Worked For One Day... Tried Numerous Fixes On Microsoft Site But No Luck..

Hi Arun and Arul,

I did Windows 10 iso upgrade, actually the 2nd time I did it, but it did not get Edge to work..

So here's my best hope for now, but need some instruction how to do it..

Just got an Ethernet cable and want to make a direct connection with it bypassing the wifi, but it's more complicated to get this hooked up than I realize..

Having a hard time finding instructions for setting the ethernet cable connection..

Would you have a link that explains how to set up a new ethernet cable hook up..?

Thanks very much..

==============

UPDATE

My ethernet cable is plugged in to my modem and computer, but when I go into the Settings Screen the - Ethernet - connection does not show up.. All the other options are there, but not Ethernet..

This is all so crazy.. Is there something I have to do to get the ethernet connection option to show up on the Settings screen..?

Thanks

JohnnyNite, Nov 12, 2015
  3. RKSinghXU Win User
    Ethernet cable connectivity problem

AITHOUGH ETHERNET CABLE IS LIKE TELEPHONE CABLE YET IT NEED NOT TO BE PLUGGED-IN.THE In-built facility on my machine provide automatically connect Ethernet cable with the help of excuting proper command prompt which is now been replaced with powershell,
    that's why unable fulfill my requirement.

RKSinghXU, Nov 12, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Unable to do ethernet direct cable connect-homeuser

Hi applevwindows10 and welcome to Tenforums.

This forum is not a part of Microsoft, so if you'd like to get feedback to them, you'd be best off using the Feedback app which is integral to Windows 10. That way, you can be sure someone from Microsoft sees it. (Of course, you need to get online to do that! *Wink)

Now, on to your problem.
    I assume when you say "direct cable connect" you are referring to plugging an ethernet cable from your desktop's NIC to your modem or router. Is that correct? If so, then you are correct, there are no settings to be specified when doing this; you simply plug in each end. If your router/modem is assigning IP addresses correctly, you should get right online without issue.

Things to check would be your wired NIC drivers, your ethernet cable, and your modem/router port.
    For example: in Device Manager, right-click your wired NIC and check for updates. Swap out the ethernet cable to make sure it hasn't gone bad. Verify the light on the back of your computer at the NIC port is illuminated. Switch ports on your router/modem to see if that makes a difference. Verify the light for that port is lit when connected. Call your ISP and ask them if they can "see" your computer's NIC (Yes, they can see it if it's working). If they can't, you may have a dead NIC.

Now, if you're trying to make an ad-hoc connection to a MAC's internet connection, well, that's a different story.

simrick, Nov 12, 2015
  5. bro67 Win User
    If you are trying to share a connection with a Windows computer acting as a Wireless Access Point or as a Bridge. You need to create a "Bridge" connection between the two adapters.

Mac OS-X makes it easier, because of the nature of BSD & Linux distro's do it through Network Connections.

bro67, Nov 12, 2015
  6. Thanks for your comments. The Microsoft store advised me to use the forums to alert Microsoft of my problem. I am using a cable connection that is used by an apple computer--so that could be the problem. I did not think the
    company identified by type of OS. I'll check.

Thanks

applevwindows10, Nov 13, 2015
  7. Berton Win User
    I may have missed it but if connecting a computer directly to another computer using an Ethernet cable, be sure it is a Cross-over cable. The Straight-through cable is used between a computer and a Router or a Switch, additional computers can be connected the same way. There's also special USB cables useful for the same purpose such as those provided by LapLink. My MacBook Pro has an Ethernet port as do a couple of iMacs I've set up for clients, work the same as with Windows to connect to a Network or to the Internet.

Berton, Nov 13, 2015
  8. bro67 Win User

Forget everything that the ex Fry cooks at the "Microsoft Store" told you. It is like asking someone who digs sewers for a living, if you should go have some tests done, because you are not feeling well.

This forum is loaded with information, that you just need to access. Especially with the tutorials.

With BSD/Linux. It is so easy to use to adapters at the same time, it is like making Chocolate Milk.

Microsoft is the one that makes you run in circles, trying to do even the most simple of tasks.

BSD/Linux Networking was created to allow you to use the OS as a server, Proxy, VPN, or Router.

A couple of clicks in the Networking Connections and you are done, before you can open up the Control Panel and Networking in Windows.

bro67, Nov 13, 2015
  9. bro67 Win User
    If you are paying for the connection, just go get a $30 Wireless Access Point/Gateway.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to do ethernet direct cable connect-homeuser - Similar Threads - Unable ethernet direct

2. Unable to recognize ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to recognize ethernet cable: My computer just suddenly stopped recognizing my ethernet cable. It does not have a wifi card so it is completely offline. I have tried swapping cables, updating drivers, uninstalling old updates, resetting network settings, scanning for viruses and everything else I could...
  3. Unable to recognize ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to recognize ethernet cable: My computer just suddenly stopped recognizing my ethernet cable. It does not have a wifi card so it is completely offline. I have tried swapping cables, updating drivers, uninstalling old updates, resetting network settings, scanning for viruses and everything else I could...
  4. Ethernet Cable Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Cable Connection: Hi so Ive had my pc for a couple years now and never had any issues with internet or anything. Just last week I saw that my ethernet cable wasnt working. ive replace the cable and have checked the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but nothing seems to be...
  5. Ethernet Cable Connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet Cable Connection: Hi so Ive had my pc for a couple years now and never had any issues with internet or anything. Just last week I saw that my ethernet cable wasnt working. ive replace the cable and have checked the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but nothing seems to be...
  6. Ethernet Cable Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Unable to connect to wifi without a ethernet cable

Unable to connect to wifi without a ethernet cable: Hi, I am currently using a lenovo ideapad 320s. Recently, after updating to windows 21H1, my wifi keeps disconnecting at random times. When this happens, the wifi options will disappear. This has been getting worst recently, and now my wifi does not work at all. The intel...
  8. Unable to connect to wifi extender via ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to connect to wifi extender via ethernet cable: Pretty self-explanatory: The computer recognises the Wifi extender as a wireless network but refuses to connect the computer to the extender via the ethernet cable that I have plugged in. The weird part is that the computer is now telling me that an ethernet connection has...
  9. Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet

Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet: I have my ethernet cable plugged in and my computer detects that it has been plugged in but it just says ethernet no internet. I've had this problem for a while and i believe that it started after an update. Its getting really annoying and ive tried some things across the...
  10. Unable to connect to the Internet via Ethernet Cable

Unable to connect to the Internet via Ethernet Cable: Thank you very much all, especially Samuria. I only needed to make use of "netsh winsock reset catalog" and it worked!