Windows 10: unable to do virgin w10 install to samsung nvme m.2 drive

Discus and support unable to do virgin w10 install to samsung nvme m.2 drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 pro (if it ever installs), i9-9900kf chip, MSI MPG z390 Gaming Plus mobo, 64gb ddr4 ram, EVGA 850 watt power supply with a nasty coil whine,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by obieephyhm, Jun 13, 2021.

1. unable to do virgin w10 install to samsung nvme m.2 drive

Windows 10 pro (if it ever installs), i9-9900kf chip, MSI MPG z390 Gaming Plus mobo, 64gb ddr4 ram, EVGA 850 watt power supply with a nasty coil whine, Samsung 970 EVO plus 2TB I'm still struggling to get my DAW working and have given up trying to do a repair install, it simply can't be done for reasons I don't understand at all. But I'm going to have to reconfigure so many things to get the DAW functional, it probably isn't really much of time saver. So I do the whole media creation thing to a usb-drive. Remove all other drives except for the Samsung, boot, go through the screens until I get to telling it where to install. It sees the virgin drive, single partition and when I try to select it, it gives me an error message (sadly, I didn't write it down) which amounts to it saying the ssd drive is the wrong format. But it won't let me reformat the drive into what it wants. So I'm stuck. What is the key here that I'm missing? Is the 2TB too big for Windows, do I need to format it into something smaller -- and, if so, what's the maximum size that Windows can deal with for a boot disk? Is there something else that's bleeding obvious that I'm not remembering to do?

:)

obieephyhm, Jun 13, 2021

2. replacing C: with larger M.2 NVme drive and move programs installed on D: to the new M.2 drive

I have a DELL Desktop Computer XPS XPS8920-7581SLV-PUS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 desktop running Windows 10 Pro with the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 NVme drive as the C: drive and a 1TB hard disk as the D: drive. I have installed a couple of games and applications to the D: drive due to the size of the install files.

I am now planning to replace the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 drive with a Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO M.2 NVme drive.

The procedure I plan to use is to:

• clone the Toshiba drive to a new Western Digital SSD installed in a hard disk bay
    • replace the Toshiba with the Samsung
    • clone the new SSD back to the Samsung

At that point I should have a bootable C: on the Samsung NVme drive.

The next step would be to move the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk to the Samsung NVme drive since I now have the space for them.

However it is not really possible to just move installed applications due to all the Registry changes that would be needed.

The two applications are Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 (both Community Edition) and the games are World of Warcraft, Destiny 2, and Fallout 4 (the last being a Steam download).

So I am looking for advice on these changes.

Alternative approaches

It seems that I have a couple of options:

• clone the 1TB hard disk to the new SSD and just use the new SSD as D:
    • uninstall the games and applications then reinstall them to the new C:
    • create a D: partition on the new NVme drive and copy the installation folders there

The easiest approach would seem to be to clone the 1TB drive to the new SSD as D: and move on. However I would be missing out on the NVme goodness with the games as well as the Visual Studio programming environment.

The most straightforward approach would be to uninstall the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk and then reinstall them to the C: drive.

The applications are Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017, both Community Edition. These would both be straightforward to uninstall from D: and reinstall to C:.

The games are World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 from Blizzard and Fallout 4 from Steam. These games will require long download time probably two or three days over my internet access. And I would have to start Fallout 4 all over again.

Concluding thoughts

Perhaps the best option would be to combine the first two options.

Since the Visual Studio uninstall and install would be fairly painless I could do that while leaving the games on the 1TB drive and then do the clone of the 1TB drive to the new SSD. Then at a later date I could move World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 over to the NVme drive.

I would think that working with Visual Studio would be easier and quicker from the NVme C: drive while the games would be quick and responsive enough if the game assets are on an SSD.

Richard Chambers, Jun 13, 2021
  3. How to regain all unallocated space on my New Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drive?

Hello Everyone,

I just now installed a new Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB SSD drive to my system, and cloned all the old information from my old 256GB M.2 SSD to this new one. All went good and my system and Bios sees the New Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB
    SSD and it boots to it and runs just Great.

However.. my new Drive is only using the first 250GB like the old drive was. My new drive has 227.30GB of Unallocated space on it.

How can I us all of the New drive??... Is there a Free utility or Paid or can this simple be done in Windows 10 that will allow me to move the unused "unallocated" portion so I can Us my whole 500GB drive??... I tried both EaseUS and Macrium
    Free ware with no Luck.

I'm running the newest drivers and Windows 10 1809 x64. And as you can probably tell I'm new to this and would GREATLY appreciate a step by step on how to do this.

Thank-You for your Help in Advance.

Leprechaun J, Jun 13, 2021
  4. unable to do virgin w10 install to samsung nvme m.2 drive

Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive

Have Win 10Pro everything is fine except I can Not get a new NVMe M.2 to be recognized correctly by the OS it sees it as a SATA even though it is in a M.2 slot on Motherboard. I need more of an order of things to be done between the BIOS and Win 10. I
    installed a Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB drive in a Z270X Gaming 7 MB and Win 10 has a problem and it sees it and formatted it as a Sata with only a little less than 500g of space???

JohnBarsotti, Jun 13, 2021
Thema:

unable to do virgin w10 install to samsung nvme m.2 drive

1. unable to do virgin w10 install to samsung nvme m.2 drive - Similar Threads - unable virgin w10

2. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  3. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  4. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  5. Drivers w10 Pro for Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 need drivers install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drivers w10 Pro for Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 need drivers install: Trying to install w10 on new Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 and during installation Windows cannot locate drivers when using either Dell's installer or Microsoft's. I saw on other posts that users were downloading an executable, "Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.2.exe" not sure how one...
  6. Drivers w10 Pro for Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 need drivers install

in Windows 10 Support
    Drivers w10 Pro for Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 need drivers install: Trying to install w10 on new Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 and during installation Windows cannot locate drivers when using either Dell's installer or Microsoft's. I saw on other posts that users were downloading an executable, "Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.2.exe" not sure how one...
  7. Are their drivers for the Samsung PM981A SSD NVME M.2?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Are their drivers for the Samsung PM981A SSD NVME M.2?: Hello Everyone, I recently bought a new laptop with the Samsung PM981a SSD NVME M.2. I feel that the drive isn't fast, especially for this SSD and I don't see Samsung NVME driver in my Device Manager. I read online that the Samsung NVME driver is necessary to boost the...
  8. Upgrading my Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading my Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 drive: I'm looking for advice about upgrading my NVMe drive on my desktop PC. My Windows 10 desktop PC uses a 250Gb Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 as the boot (C:) drive. I recently bought a Samsung 500Gb EVO Plus NVMe M.2 to upgrade it. What's the best way to do this? Or must I replace the...
  9. Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive: Have Win 10Pro everything is fine except I can Not get a new NVMe M.2 to be recognized correctly by the OS it sees it as a SATA even though it is in a M.2 slot on Motherboard. I need more of an order of things to be done between the BIOS and Win 10. I installed a Samsung 970...
  10. Samsung introduces the Samsung 970 PRO and EVO NVMe M.2 SSDs

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung introduces the Samsung 970 PRO and EVO NVMe M.2 SSDs: Case King here in Germanyalready has the 970s on order. Here are the prices for us here: [img]