Windows 10: Unable to download.jar files on windows 10 and they just download as notepad please help

Discus and support Unable to download.jar files on windows 10 and they just download as notepad please help in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/thebest6660666 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ebq5hi/unable_to_downloadjar_files_on_windows_10_and/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/thebest6660666, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Unable to download.jar files on windows 10 and they just download as notepad please help

/u/thebest6660666, Dec 19, 2019

2. Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.

Have you tried the second solution?

"Open the Settings app. Navigate to the System > Default apps.

Scroll all the way down and select Choose default apps by file type.

Locate the .jar file type and choose a default application.

This method offers limited options and you can only choose applications recognized by Windows 10. Fortunately, there’s another method that you can try. To change file associations, do the following:

Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Control Panel from the list.

When Control Panel opens, select Default Programs.

Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Locate the .jar file on the list and double-click it.

A list of suggested applications will appear. Click on More apps.

Scroll all the way down and choose Look for another app on this PC.

Locate the javaw.exe file. By default, the application should be located in Program Files folder. Select the application and choose it as a default for .jar files.

Optional: Some users recommend changing the parameters of javaw.exe. To do that, simply locate the file and create its shortcut. Right-click it and navigate to the Properties. Now, locate the Target file and add -jar “%1” % . Be sure to select this newly created
    shortcut in Step 7.

You can also change file association by right clicking the jar file and choosing Open With > Choose another app. After doing that, follow the steps 5 to 8 from the above"

DouglasMillar69, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Jan 6, 2020
  4. NateHoopu Win User

Unable to download.jar files on windows 10 and they just download as notepad please help

.jar files opening in internet explorer

I have the same problem, I accidentaly switched a .jar file to open with internet explorer, or notepad, I can't remember, and I forgot to unselect set it to the default, and now I can't get back to the java thing, please help.

NateHoopu, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Unable to download.jar files on windows 10 and they just download as notepad please help

1. Unable to download.jar files on windows 10 and they just download as notepad please help - Similar Threads - Unable download jar

2. Please help, downloads are blocked!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please help, downloads are blocked!: Whenever i try to download anything from file to image off of any browser chrome, firefox, explorer etc... it always comes up with "Failed - Blocked". I searched around and found this code that i put into command prompt "net user administrator /active:yes" then i signed into...
  3. Please help, downloads are blocked!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Please help, downloads are blocked!: Whenever i try to download anything from file to image off of any browser chrome, firefox, explorer etc... it always comes up with "Failed - Blocked". I searched around and found this code that i put into command prompt "net user administrator /active:yes" then i signed into...
  4. Can't download .jar files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't download .jar files: I'm trying to download OptiFine and Forge for Minecraft and you download them using .jar files, but when I press download it brings me to a page saying that the server IP for adfoc.us can't be found. I don't know if this is because of the firewall or if it's something else....
  5. Files I download, download with notepad

Files I download, download with notepad: So i am trying to download a file listed as .pkg and i want it downloaded exactly how it is supposed to be but it downloads with notepad. I was not sure if the file was supposed be downloaded as is when i first downloaded it so i opened it with notepad and now everytime i...
  6. Unable to download Windows Notepad from the Windows Store

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to download Windows Notepad from the Windows Store: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/3952p74afiq51.png?width=1599&format=png&auto=webp&s=66828f6fd1329fb48c8997532d3dff8258d9d777 For some reason I can't download this one. I can download the 'older' one with to old icon via the settings. Does someone know how I can...
  7. DOWNLOAD FILE KEEPS OPENING IN NOTEPAD

DOWNLOAD FILE KEEPS OPENING IN NOTEPAD: So I'm trying to download the bios update for my asrock motherboard but when I go to open and extract the files they open in notepad, this also happens with any other downloads as well, I've tried many different solutions including saving the file and trying to open it with...
  8. Java won't open a .Jar file, please help!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Java won't open a .Jar file, please help!: So I have a file that is a .Jar and for some reason Adobe is set as the default application to open it. When I go to change the default the only thing that shows up is adobe or The Microsoft store. I have just recently updated to Java to 1.8 and it still won't show up in the...
  9. Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.: I like playing Minecraft, and I like to play with friends. So I tried to download the sever.jar file and it downloaded a download but, when I wnt to open this file it brought me to internet explorer manage download files page. It asked me if I wanted to save, open, or save...
  10. Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.: I like playing Minecraft, and I like to play with friends. So I tried to download the sever.jar file and it downloaded a download but, when I wnt to open this file it brought me to internet explorer manage download files page. It asked me if I wanted to save, open, or save...