Windows 10: Unable to edit file owner with Advanced Settings

Discus and support Unable to edit file owner with Advanced Settings in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am desperately trying to disable Antimalware Executable. I have added the registry variables that supposedly disable Windows Defender, but after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KolbyDUH, Jan 10, 2021.

1. KolbyDUH Win User

Unable to edit file owner with Advanced Settings

I am desperately trying to disable Antimalware Executable. I have added the registry variables that supposedly disable Windows Defender, but after rebooting it fails to keep the Antimalware Executable out of my task manager. The program eats up my disk harder than my system does, sometimes taking the disk from 3% to 100% right before my eyes even with no windows or apps open/running on my computer

So, out of desperation, I resulted to getting rid of the files themselves. This, of course, did not work since the files are owned by TrustedInstaller. Well, I went to the properties of one of the .exe files, selected Security and went to Advanced Security Options. Next step was to click Change next to "Owner:", but doing this reopened the same window but with all options grayed out, including the "Change" selection. There were no online solutions that covered this one specific issue, and running the Command Prompt as admin and attempting to use the takeown <foldername> command resulted in an "Access is Denied" response.

I need to get rid of Windows Defender, no options in the registry editor can keep the Antimalware Executable from making my computer run at a snail's pace. Trying to open some files can take multiple minutes, which is absolutely horrible in any condition. Besides, I rarely if ever go online, and when I do I only ever visit trusted websites and I never download anything anymore. Maybe the slowness of my computer contributes to this

How do I get rid of these useless files that I do not have access to edit and cannot change the owner of?

I also would like to disable Cortana entirely. I have multiple things like Cortana, Your Phone, and Office that take up tons of disk space, yet I never EVER use these applications.

:)

KolbyDUH, Jan 10, 2021

2. Registry Editor "Unable to set new owner on [redacted], access is denied"

Hello, so I'm trying to change the owner on a certain key in the registry. The owner currently is SYSTEM, and I have only read access. I went into Regedit and went into permissions, advanced, change owner, and tried inputting my name, but when I click apply
    it says it is unable to set new owner, access is denied. I have never seen the registry editor fail to set a new owner. What steps should I take to be able to change the owner? The key is in local machine.

So far I have tried disabling inheritance but that also failed as the regedit gave the same error.

Thanks

Vacho Rehanyan, Jan 10, 2021
  3. Mary Sau Win User
    Windows 10 Apps folder Permission to copy and paste files DENIED

Hi,

To help you resolve the issue, we suggest to set permission to 'Everyone'. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Right click on the main folder and choose 'Properties'.
    • Click the 'Security' tab .
    • Look towards the bottom right hand side and click 'Advanced'.
    • Click the 'Owner' tab and click 'Edit'.
    • Under Owner, click on 'Change' link.
    • Type 'Everyone' and click on Apply and OK.
    • Now, click on 'Edit' button.
    • Under 'Permission for SYSTEM', place a check mark on all the Allow.
    • Click on 'Apply' and 'OK'.

Let us know how it goes.

Mary Sau, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Unable to edit file owner with Advanced Settings

Denied access to a file despite being listed as the owner

I tried to reinstall Origin, and this particular program, and it seems some others on the computer do not allow access at all, either to run or delete. It says access is denied or that permission will be needed. I go into the advanced settings to change
    the owner (as elswhere the troubleshooters suggested) and I see that Administrators is already listed as the owner. It's as though the administrator does not even have access to the file. This appears to apply to the entire folder. How can I change the
    permission to the file(s) so I can delete/reinstall?

joethecounselor, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Unable to edit file owner with Advanced Settings

1. Unable to edit file owner with Advanced Settings - Similar Threads - Unable edit file

2. Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder: Hi I was messing with the advanced security setting for WindowApps folder in my company laptop and wish to revert the owner back to "Unable to display current owner" which is the default setting see screenshot 1. Currently it is "SYSTEM" see screenshot 2. Thank you.For some...
  3. Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder: Hi I was messing with the advanced security setting for WindowApps folder in my company laptop and wish to revert the owner back to "Unable to display current owner" which is the default setting see screenshot 1. Currently it is "SYSTEM" see screenshot 2. Thank you.For some...
  4. Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. why do i get the message , unable to set new owner to a file,whenever i want change owner...

why do i get the message , unable to set new owner to a file,whenever i want change owner...: why do i get the message , unable to set new owner to a file,whenever i want change owner of a file or folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-i-get-the-message-unable-to-set-new-owner/b87c21df-5d31-4f14-8d71-6ffa8a0ad23e
  6. Unable to edit file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to edit file: I am trying to trim a clip recorded to my secondary SSD but I don't have permission to edit it? This is my personal pc and I'm not sure why it says that as I am the only person that uses it and there are no other accounts. Thank you! please ask anything if required. This was...
  7. Unable to edit file

Unable to edit file: I am trying to trim a clip recorded to my secondary SSD but I don't have permission to edit it? This is my personal pc and I'm not sure why it says that as I am the only person that uses it and there are no other accounts. Thank you! please ask anything if required. This was...
  8. Unable to edit file

9. advanced security settings owner account unknown

advanced security settings owner account unknown: After my computer died I removed the C drive and installed it my new computer which already had a C drive as K drive - I mainly wanted to access data files that were stored on that computer since the new computer had Windows 10 installed. Today I tried to access...
  10. system advanced settings unable to open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    system advanced settings unable to open: hi recently to correct my command prompt path i entered in to environmental variables accidentally deleted some variables... and now am unable to open system advanced settings also...