Windows 10: Unable to encrypt a folder.

Discus and support Unable to encrypt a folder. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying to put a password on a folder but if I go to properties and then advanced attributes the option for it is fully greyed out. I've tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tudpool, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Unable to encrypt a folder.

I'm trying to put a password on a folder but if I go to properties and then advanced attributes the option for it is fully greyed out.

I've tried googling the issue but none of the solutions worked, I've enabled Encrypting file system under services and restarted my computer and even switched up my folder file explorer from quick access to this PC (long shot but worth a try).

I've no idea what to do, I just want to add a password to this folder.

Any suggestions?

submitted by /u/Tudpool
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tudpool, Jun 9, 2020

2. Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, Jun 9, 2020
  3. Can't encrypt or password protect folders?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced.
    I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Are you logging-in using Administrator User account?
    • Is this issue specific to any particular folder or persist in all the folders?

Encrypting File System (EFS) is a feature of Windows that you can use to store information on your hard disk in an encrypted format. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure. I suggest you to try
    log-in through other Administrator account and perform the below given steps to encrypt the folder and check if it works:

How to encrypt a file

• Right-click (or tap and hold) a file or folder and select Properties.
    • Select the Advanced... button and select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
    • Select OK to close the Advanced Attributes window, select
      Apply, and then select OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jun 9, 2020
  4. Unable to encrypt a folder.

Can't Encrypting Folder

Hi Jeanette,

The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted access. This is the strongest protection that is available in Windows to help you
    keep your individual files and folders secure. Here are the steps on how you can encrypt files and folders in Windows 10:

• Right-click the folder or file you want to encrypt, and then click Properties.
    • In the General tab, click on the Advanced button.
    • Check the Encrypt contents to secure data box, and click on OK.
    • Click OK and close Properties window.
    • Apply changes to the folder, subfolders and files when prompted. If it is a file, select to either Encrypt the file and its parent folder or Encrypt the file only for what you want, and click
      on OK.

Tip: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should backup your encryption certificate. If you lose access to your encrypted files
    and folders, you will not be able to open them again unless you first restore the file encryption key for them.

Do let us know if you need any other assistance.

Regards.

Darian Tab, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

Unable to encrypt a folder.

1. Unable to encrypt a folder. - Similar Threads - Unable encrypt folder

2. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Encryption: Hello,I HAVE administrator rights on my account, but the option to "encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out. I have gone through the steps in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to enable encryption. It still will not let me encrypt a folder. Why not? All other forums about this issue...
  3. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Encryption: Hello,I HAVE administrator rights on my account, but the option to "encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out. I have gone through the steps in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to enable encryption. It still will not let me encrypt a folder. Why not? All other forums about this issue...
  4. encrypt file and folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    encrypt file and folder: i have windows 10 home single language so there is no bitlocker to encrypt data, and the option in properties is also greyed. i tried all the options on web and yt. can anyone help me to enable this option or recommend any trusted app....
  5. Unable to view folders/files in encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to view folders/files in encrypted drive: After much pain trying to fix Windows Update using several tutorials, I reset Windows on C: partition. That worked nicely, and Update is working perfectly, as is everything else on C:My problem is with partition D: which is encrypted with bitlocker. After entering the...
  6. Folder Encryption

Folder Encryption: Hi, I tried to encrypt a folder to lock it but under the Compress or Encrypt attributes tab the Encrypt Contents to secure data tab is grayed out and I can't click it. Please help-Thanks...
  7. CAN NOT 'ON' ENCRYPTION FOR A FOLDER

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CAN NOT 'ON' ENCRYPTION FOR A FOLDER: I AM BUYING A HP LAPTOP WITH WINDOW 10 BUT I CAN'T ON/OPEN ENCRYPTION BUTTON FOR ANY FOLDER. I THINK ,I DON'T HAVE BITLOCKER INSTALLED. ABOUT SYSTEM: EDITION : WINDOW 10 HOME SINGLE LANGUAGE. VERSION : 1903 RAM : 4 GB 64 BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. NEED HELP...…. ....
  8. Encrypt a folder with Cipher

Encrypt a folder with Cipher: I recently heard about this command in the Cmd called "cipher" where it can encrypt a folder, so I decided to give it a try. This is what the file looks like: [ATTACH] So I try to encrypt Derek's things(a folder) with the command in the command prompt: (my drive is C:)...
  9. Folder Encryption.

Folder Encryption.: Hello Microsoft Community, I want to encrypt a folder on my computer, but i am finding it impossible to do so. I first went to the folder, and selected, Properties/General/Advanced, but the option to encrypt the folder was grayed out. I then looked on the internet for a...
  10. Unable to delete encrypted game folder from Win Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete encrypted game folder from Win Store: Hello, I have this encrypted folder of Forza Horizon 3 that I installed to a hard drive, then after reinstalling Windows due to unrelated problems it stayed on that hard drive, but I currently run the game from a different installation point on a different hard drive. The...