Windows 10: Unable to extract any .zip archives

Discus and support Unable to extract any .zip archives in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Anubis8192, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Unable to extract any .zip archives

I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a zip file I can see the contents but I cannot open the files in the archive. If I try to extract the archive, it create the directory for the unzipped files but the directory is empty. No error messages are coming up and no records of anything blocked in Windows Defender. I am using anti ransomware protection but it is not in a protected folder and was happening even before I turned on the protection.I have multiple HDDs and the same problem hap

:)

Anubis8192, Nov 22, 2021
  2. pyramid10 Win User

Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Nov 22, 2021
  3. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Nov 22, 2021
  4. Dirant Win User

Unable to extract any .zip archives

Cannot extract ZIP archive anymore

I have noticed a wierd issue with .zip archives:

I can easily compress files, but when I try to open any archive (even the ones I created), nothing happens.
    I tried to click on the "Extract all..." menu entry, but every file appears to be damaged.

My OS is Windows 10 and 7-zip works flawlessly so at the moment I am sticking with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dirant, Nov 22, 2021
Thema:

Unable to extract any .zip archives

1. Unable to extract any .zip archives - Similar Threads - Unable extract zip

2. Zip extraction error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Zip extraction error: I have a zip file that gives me the following error.Now I and, and have, renamed the file so that it can be extracted, but I thought this sort of problem was a thing of the past, not something plaguing Microsoft's flagship OS. Here is a link to the file that gives this error....
  3. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to extract any .zip archives: I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a zip file I can see the contents but I cannot open the files in the archive. If I try to extract the archive, it create the...
  4. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to extract any .zip archives: I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a zip file I can see the contents but I cannot open the files in the archive. If I try to extract the archive, it create the...
  5. 7-zip will not extract a zipped file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    7-zip will not extract a zipped file: Why wont 7-zip extract a zipped file I downloaded ? I am running Windows 10 version 20H2 on a new Dell laptop (XPS 15 7590) 176156
  6. Failed to extract archive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed to extract archive: I'm trying to install TurboTax 2020 and every time I click on the file I get Failed to extract archive. On their forum they have instructions which I have tried several times and I still get the same error...
  7. Unable to extract zip files in Windows 10

Unable to extract zip files in Windows 10: I have three PC's running Windows 10 Version 20H2 Build 19042-685. None of these PC's will extract a downloaded zip file. I get the error message "Windows cannot open the folder. The compressed folder is invalid" I can extract this file with no problem using my Windows 7...
  8. Extracting a zipped file

Extracting a zipped file: I have downloaded a shared file a video from my Google Drive but when I try to extract it into my downloads folder, I get the message 'The compressed zipped file C:\users etcetc is invalid'...
  9. Extracting ZIP files

Extracting ZIP files: I bought my Surface in the US, but I live in China. I try to download content for my Adobe products, but Windows cannot recognize the file type ZIP. The downloads are given a file type in Chinese. I suspect this is the reason. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  10. Zip Archive file

Zip Archive file: How do I unzip a Zip Archive file and make it mp3? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/zip-archive-file/b8bf2df8-678c-4836-9416-e7a15d149299"