Windows 10: Unable to extract zip files in Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to extract zip files in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three PC's running Windows 10 Version 20H2 Build 19042-685. None of these PC's will extract a downloaded zip file. I get the error message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RAW45, Dec 28, 2020.

1. RAW45 Win User

Unable to extract zip files in Windows 10

I have three PC's running Windows 10 Version 20H2 Build 19042-685. None of these PC's will extract a downloaded zip file. I get the error message

"Windows cannot open the folder. The compressed folder is invalid"

I can extract this file with no problem using my Windows 7 PC or my Linux PC. All other users of this file have no issues extracting it.

I have run the Microsoft Windows 10 repair utilities, checked the hard drive and third party extraction utilities.

It is interesting that third party utilities 7 Zip, Winzip, Winrar are all unsuccessful at extracting the file. Again, if I use my Windows 7 PC or my Linux PC the file is extracted correctly.

I would appreciate any other suggestions at solving this problem.

Regards, Bob W.

:)

RAW45, Dec 28, 2020
  2. pyramid10 Win User

Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Unable to extract zip files in Windows 10

unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10

how can folders with zip files be extracted in Windows 10? The extract menu on my system is "greyed out" and not accessible.

JohnWEnright, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

Unable to extract zip files in Windows 10

1. Unable to extract zip files in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable extract zip

2. Can't Extract Zip Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Extract Zip Files: Hi, My .zip files can't be extracted. It seems like I can open the zip files and see what is in the folder but for some reason I can't open the documents or files.I've tried restarting the computer and it didn't help....
  3. unable to change folder to save extracted zip files to

unable to change folder to save extracted zip files to: I had a folder in dropbox which i recently removed and placed on my laptop hard drive. For some reason in the process it became a zip file. As i try to unzip the included files, i am asked what folder i want to save these files to. It defaults to a random file where it was...
  4. unable to change folder to save extracted zip files to

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to change folder to save extracted zip files to: I had a folder in dropbox which i recently removed and placed on my laptop hard drive. For some reason in the process it became a zip file. As i try to unzip the included files, i am asked what folder i want to save these files to. It defaults to a random file where it was...
  5. 7-zip will not extract a zipped file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    7-zip will not extract a zipped file: Why wont 7-zip extract a zipped file I downloaded ? I am running Windows 10 version 20H2 on a new Dell laptop (XPS 15 7590) 176156
  6. Extracting a zipped file

Extracting a zipped file: I have a zipped file and I'm trying to unzip it, but if I try to extract it, it says I need to copy a file to it. What shall I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extracting-a-zipped-file/b0ff20c4-c44b-48f5-a303-1e8a054275eb
  7. Extracting a zipped file

Extracting a zipped file: I have downloaded a shared file a video from my Google Drive but when I try to extract it into my downloads folder, I get the message 'The compressed zipped file C:\users etcetc is invalid'...
  8. Extracting ZIP files

Extracting ZIP files: I bought my Surface in the US, but I live in China. I try to download content for my Adobe products, but Windows cannot recognize the file type ZIP. The downloads are given a file type in Chinese. I suspect this is the reason. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  9. Slow Extraction of .zip File

Slow Extraction of .zip File: Why is Windows 10 so slow in extracting a standard .zip file? It takes forever to unpack a simple ,zip file and seems to be much longer than previous versions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-extraction-of-zip-file/eb0d110b-b040-4e14-aa12-ad2d53622174"
  10. Extracting Zip Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Extracting Zip Files: Hi People, Newbie here. As the title suggests I am having a problem unzipping downloaded files on my HP Envy laptop. which has windows 10 version 1511 (build 10586.36) it appears to start the process but just hangs at 99% and will remain there for the rest of the day....