Windows 10: Unable to find files with search facility on Window 10

Discus and support Unable to find files with search facility on Window 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have problems using the search facility on Windows 10. I know this is increadibly basic stuff, but I've just got fed up with searching through the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kiredoryor, May 18, 2018.

1. Unable to find files with search facility on Window 10

I have problems using the search facility on Windows 10. I know this is increadibly basic stuff, but I've just got fed up with searching through the 'family tree' type network of stored files.
    Even files that I have saved just a few months ago never appear in searches, including ones I can eventually find by scrolling through File Explorer, that same file will not be found by the search facility.
    I save some files onto Dropbox which is stored on the Data D: drive, Others on OneDrive. I sometimes backup files onto an external Samsung Hard drive which is permanently attached to the laptop.
    I have business files dating back up to 20 years and while I can usually find recent files trolling through File Explorer I certainly need a search facility to find older files.
    With a previous PC with XP installed the search facility seemed to work much better (if a little slow) If I wasn't sure of the filename but had an idea of some of the letters I'd use those with asterisks and the filename (like '*bac*.doc') I could then choose which folders to look in and that was usually successful.
    With Windows 10, even if I know the file name it often won't find it, let alone if I'm unsure of the name. I don't really even know where it is searching. The default setting seems to be the internet which I don't want. If I then click on documents I get to option to search File Explorer and that's about as far as it gets.

As an example, I have hundreds of documents, PDF, Word, PowerPoint and Excel files with the word Ondo in them. If I type Ondo in the search bar it comes up with suggestions like" London Maps", "London Underground" and "Ondo - see Web results". If I then click on the 'documents' tab I get one document that I don't want and the option to search in File Explorer for ondo. When I do that it just comes up with that same one document; none of the hundreds of other files containing the word Ondo saved throughout my system ThisPC, Data drive, OneDrive, the Samsung hard drive etc. show up.
    I've followed instructions given on YouTube or Google but they all suggest Cortana which just does what I've described above.
    My apologies again for asking such a basic question, but I'm spending hours, if not days, looking for files that I know are on my PC!
    I've attached screenshots of my Ondo search.

:)

Kiredoryor, May 18, 2018

2. Search function finds files but I am unable to open the files

Windows 10 - Search function finds files but I am unable to open the files

MichaelWyld, May 20, 2018
  3. Unable to find PDF files.

Hi Yvonne,

I appreciate your efforts and time.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Go to Search and type the Adobe files and open those files.
    • Then go to the location where those files have been saved.

For reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, May 20, 2018
Thema:

Unable to find files with search facility on Window 10

1. Unable to find files with search facility on Window 10 - Similar Threads - Unable find files

2. unable to use the ‘automatic login’ facility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to use the ‘automatic login’ facility: Hey, I work with Trimac Piping Solutions. I am unable to use the ‘automatic login’ facility while using the new Microsoft account. I really wish I don’t have to type the password every time to login into Windows 10....
  3. Unable to find search files on a network drive

in Cortana
    Unable to find search files on a network drive: Hello All,Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I work IT Help Desk and have a user who is unable to get an results from searches he performs on a network drive. When he tries to search for a specific file that he knows is in that certain network drive no...
  4. Unable to find search files on a network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to find search files on a network drive: Hello All,Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I work IT Help Desk and have a user who is unable to get an results from searches he performs on a network drive. When he tries to search for a specific file that he knows is in that certain network drive no...
  5. Unable to find search files on a network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Search Not Finding Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Not Finding Files: Windows 10 Version: 20H2 (OS Build 19042,1052) I've always had problem with searching files. If I "search this PC" and type in a folder or file name, nothing ever comes up. It just says "working on it" forever as the little bar moves. If I search a specific folder, sometimes...
  7. How to use the Search Facility on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to use the Search Facility on Windows 10: Hi, I am probably making a very simple mistake but i cant find documents / images using the Widows 10 search facility. I have watched numerous YouTube videos which shows how to search for images. When I enter the text "Date:" in the Search field at the top RHS of the screen,...
  8. I have lost the search facility

in Windows 10 Support
    I have lost the search facility: Hello everyone went to use the search facility (using the icon next to start button) - window appeared, and after just 2 seconds disappeared. I do not use this much, but believe(?) that recent windows 10 updates have had an influence on this failure. Has anyone else had the...
  9. Windows 10 unable to find files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 unable to find files: Windows 10 has recently ceased being able to find Adobe PDF files on my PC. I have reinstalled Acrobat DC and I can see the files listed on my PC. Windows however cannot. Very frustrating when many of these documents will be needed for ATO in another 3 weeks. Even more...
  10. Windows Search not finding file that IS there!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search not finding file that IS there!: Hi, I'm very confused.. I am looking for any files on my computer that have "Hybrid - Analog Women" in the name, no matter what the file extension is. I know for a fact that there is one called Hybrid - Analog Women.nksn on one of my drives yet it is returning "No items match...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. find/search facility windows

2. unable to find network to save file on windows

3. unable to find search in windows

4. unable to find documetns by searching in this PC