Windows 10: UNABLE TO FIND MY BITLOCKER ENCRYPTION KEY

Discus and support UNABLE TO FIND MY BITLOCKER ENCRYPTION KEY in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have been reading about the coming of Bitlocker with Win 11 24H2. I purchased a PC in 2020 with Win 10 Home, and recently upgraded it to Win 11... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JeffA Warner, May 22, 2024.

1. UNABLE TO FIND MY BITLOCKER ENCRYPTION KEY

I have been reading about the coming of Bitlocker with Win 11 24H2. I purchased a PC in 2020 with Win 10 Home, and recently upgraded it to Win 11 23H2.Following directions in an MS article, I attempted to find my Bitlocker Encryption Key. In my account info, it shows the key for my new Laptop win 11 Home but nothing listed for my older desktop. Is there a reason for this? I am not really interested in having Bitlocker on either device, but would like to have access to that code if I need it. Thanks, JWarner

:)

JeffA Warner, May 22, 2024

2. External USB HDD drive bitlocker encrypted without a key

Hello CatchyWater7200,

Thank you for reaching Microsoft Community. We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

I am aware that you're having trouble accessing your external USB disk drive that has been encrypted by BitLocker. I am here to help. Allow me to ask a question.

• Would you mind sharing what exactly the message shows when ask for the USB key?

Your drive appears to have been encrypted using BitLocker, a function that guards your data against illegal access. For access to the drive, BitLocker requires a password or recovery key. Since you don't have a BitLocker USB key, you can try using the BitLocker recovery key to unlock the drive. Here are the steps to do that:

1. Connect the external USB disk drive to your Surface Pro 6.
    2. When prompted to enter the BitLocker key, click on "More options". Or you can enter "Esc" key or the Windows key to continue.
    3. Click on "Enter recovery key".
    4. Enter the BitLocker recovery key that you found on your Microsoft account.
    5. Click on "Unlock".

If the above steps don't work, you can try disabling BitLocker on the external USB disk drive. Here are the steps to do that:

1. Connect the external USB disk drive to your Surface Pro 6.
    2. Open File Explorer and right-click on the external USB disk drive.
    3. Click on "Manage BitLocker".
    4. Click on "Turn off BitLocker".
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to disable BitLocker on the external USB disk drive.

Please note that disabling BitLocker will remove the encryption from the external USB disk drive and make it less secure. Therefore, it's recommended to re-enable BitLocker once you've accessed your files and photos.

Let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Lavenia

Lavenia A., May 22, 2024
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, May 22, 2024
  4. UNABLE TO FIND MY BITLOCKER ENCRYPTION KEY

Bitlocker Key

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. It is good that you know the Bitlocker key to properly get into the computer. To help you turn off the Bitlocker key, you can follow the steps below:

Please make sure you are signed as the Administrator of the computer.

To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.

• A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption. Click
      Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

To turn off BitLocker Drive Encryption

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Find the drive on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker.

• A message is displayed, informing you that the drive will be decrypted and that decryption may take some time. Click
      Decrypt the drive to continue and turn off BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know if this resolves your concern.

Lemuel Cie, May 22, 2024
Thema:

UNABLE TO FIND MY BITLOCKER ENCRYPTION KEY

1. UNABLE TO FIND MY BITLOCKER ENCRYPTION KEY - Similar Threads - UNABLE FIND BITLOCKER

2. UNABLE TO FIND MY BITLOCKER ENCRYPTION KEY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UNABLE TO FIND MY BITLOCKER ENCRYPTION KEY: I have been reading about the coming of Bitlocker with Win 11 24H2. I purchased a PC in 2020 with Win 10 Home, and recently upgraded it to Win 11 23H2.Following directions in an MS article, I attempted to find my Bitlocker Encryption Key. In my account info, it shows the key...
  3. Bitlocker drive encryption key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker drive encryption key: Hey there,My laptop is not opening and is asking for Bitlocker drive encryption key.I have log in with my university email address for some software logins like powerbi, tableau and python. How can I get the key?Thanks in advance...
  4. Bitlocker drive encryption key

Bitlocker drive encryption key: Hey there,My laptop is not opening and is asking for Bitlocker drive encryption key.I have log in with my university email address for some software logins like powerbi, tableau and python. How can I get the key?Thanks in advance...
  5. Unable to find recovery key of Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to find recovery key of Bitlocker: Hi,pls help me on Bitlocker.My drive is locked by Bitlocker, also I don't have recovery key of that Bitlocker.Also, > I Tried to recover key from Account.microsoft.com but key ID is not found.> Tried to put all available bitlocker key but non was valid> Tried to get recovery...
  6. Unable to find recovery key of Bitlocker

Unable to find recovery key of Bitlocker: Hi,pls help me on Bitlocker.My drive is locked by Bitlocker, also I don't have recovery key of that Bitlocker.Also, > I Tried to recover key from Account.microsoft.com but key ID is not found.> Tried to put all available bitlocker key but non was valid> Tried to get recovery...
  7. Bitlocker Key Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Key Encryption: Hi team,My hard drive was bitlocker encrypted and the surprising thing is that I didn't even know how. For this reason i formatted the disk since I didn't have any choice. After formatting even if I am trying to recover the data, it is asking for the recovery key. Could you...
  8. Bitlocker Key Encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Key Encryption: Hi team,My hard drive was bitlocker encrypted and the surprising thing is that I didn't even know how. For this reason i formatted the disk since I didn't have any choice. After formatting even if I am trying to recover the data, it is asking for the recovery key. Could you...
  9. Bitlocker Key Encryption

10. Bitlocker encrypted my external drive and I can't find the key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encrypted my external drive and I can't find the key: I have a big problem. My work surface decided to encrypt my personal external drive as soon as I connected it for the first time. I have my last 6 years of files and information encrypted and I have no idea what the password is or where it is stored. I have a few questions,...