Windows 10: Unable to find the External Hard drives. It's is showing as Unknown USB DEVICE SET ADDRESS...

Discus and support Unable to find the External Hard drives. It's is showing as Unknown USB DEVICE SET ADDRESS... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am unable to connect my External Hard drive to my laptop. It is not even showing the volume? No information of disk on the system, Not disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MDAHMED1, Oct 16, 2021.

1. MDAHMED1 Win User

Unable to find the External Hard drives. It's is showing as Unknown USB DEVICE SET ADDRESS...

I am unable to connect my External Hard drive to my laptop. It is not even showing the volume? No information of disk on the system, Not disk management showing the volume

:)

MDAHMED1, Oct 16, 2021
  2. JDubbedN Win User

Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)

Windows version 21H1 19043-985 Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I am running a WD RED 10GB RAID 1 mirror on an unmanaged external enclosure. Enclosure specs are here HUR5-SU31C , 2 Bay USB 3.1 Type-C Specs - Mediasonic Forum

I've had this enclosure connected to a Windows 10 machines for several months now with no hiccups. It acts as my Plex library. A couple days ago after I performed a Windows update, the drive started to disconnect when attempting to write data to it. I checked out device manager and it showed Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed). I can toggle the power on the enclosure but as soon as I try to write something to it or even delete something explorer freezes and disconnects the enclosure. So I moved it over to another machine, running same windows version and it works fine. I can write and delete to it and no problems, no freezes, no disconnects.

While the drive is in the Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) state, I uninstall the driver, rescanned hardware and it pops up again as Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed). The only way I can get it to recognize it to power cycle the enclosure but the problem occurs again. If I reboot the computer sometimes the drive will be recognized and sometimes it won't.

Since the enclosure works in another computer I assume there is something wrong with the specific machine. I have 2 other external drives connected to it, an external WD 12GB and a smaller 4GB 3rd party external enclosure, all working fine. I've tried switching usb ports but same result. I don't believe the cable is bad because it works fine on another machine with the same usb cable.

Any suggestions?

Unable to find the External Hard drives. It's is showing as Unknown USB DEVICE SET ADDRESS... [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to try this and will report back if it does not fix it.

USB drive or flash problems? How to cleanup and remove old USB storage drivers | TechSpot Forums

JDubbedN, Oct 16, 2021
  3. PDman58 Win User
    unable to install external bacck up hard drive - "UNRECOGNIZED" error

I have a up to date Windows 10 OS on a Del desktop.

I am unable to install a new Seagate 10TB external storage Backup plus Hub.

After I plug in the USB to the correct USB 3.0 port, the external drive temporarily appears in the PC Device Manager List as a Disc Drive that is working properly. However the Seagate Back Up beeps for about 1 minute and I then receive an error message
    that Windows does not recognize the Seagate and it is an "unknown USB device" "set address FAILED" "DRIVER ERROR".

How do I properly install this new external hard drive?

NOTE I was using a Seagate external hard drive with less memory before trying to install the new one and it works.

PDman58, Oct 16, 2021
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Unable to find the External Hard drives. It's is showing as Unknown USB DEVICE SET ADDRESS...

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Oct 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Unable to find the External Hard drives. It's is showing as Unknown USB DEVICE SET ADDRESS... - Similar Threads - Unable find External

2. Getting Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed when pluggin in my Seagate 6TB External Hard...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed when pluggin in my Seagate 6TB External Hard...: I have a 6TB Seagate External HarddriveI have lots of family pictures and videos on it, etc.I always have it just sitting on my desktop plugged in. It's never been dropped, etc.When I went to access it last, it froze my windows file explorer. I waited until it worked, when it...
  3. Getting Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed when pluggin in my Seagate 6TB External Hard...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed when pluggin in my Seagate 6TB External Hard...: I have a 6TB Seagate External HarddriveI have lots of family pictures and videos on it, etc.I always have it just sitting on my desktop plugged in. It's never been dropped, etc.When I went to access it last, it froze my windows file explorer. I waited until it worked, when it...
  4. Getting Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed when pluggin in my Seagate 6TB External Hard...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Unable to find the External Hard drives. It's is showing as Unknown USB DEVICE SET ADDRESS...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to find the External Hard drives. It's is showing as Unknown USB DEVICE SET ADDRESS...: I am unable to connect my External Hard drive to my laptop. It is not even showing the volume? No information of disk on the system, Not disk management showing the volume...
  6. Unable to find the External Hard drives. It's is showing as Unknown USB DEVICE SET ADDRESS...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to find the External Hard drives. It's is showing as Unknown USB DEVICE SET ADDRESS...: I am unable to connect my External Hard drive to my laptop. It is not even showing the volume? No information of disk on the system, Not disk management showing the volume...
  7. Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)

Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed): Windows version 21H1 19043-985 Windows 10 Pro 64bit I am running a WD RED 10GB RAID 1 mirror on an unmanaged external enclosure. Enclosure specs are here HUR5-SU31C , 2 Bay USB 3.1 Type-C Specs - Mediasonic Forum I've had this enclosure connected to a Windows 10 machines for...
  8. Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed): Windows version 21H1 19043-985 Windows 10 Pro 64bit I am running a WD RED 10GB RAID 1 mirror on an unmanaged external enclosure. Enclosure specs are here HUR5-SU31C , 2 Bay USB 3.1 Type-C Specs - Mediasonic Forum I've had this enclosure connected to a Windows 10 machines for...
  9. External USB hard drive not showing

External USB hard drive not showing: Hello, I got a laptop, which I bought only last month and I decided to plug my external hard drive in. Everything was going fine for a while, until a couple of day later when my laptop refused to recognise my USB drive. I spent hours updating the BIOS, updating windows,...
  10. Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) when attaching hard drive

Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) when attaching hard drive: I am attempting to attached a hard drive to my Windows 10 Dell Latitude E5470 laptop using a USB cable. When I plug it in I am seeing a "USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device" followed by a "Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)" error. I've tried - Rebooting...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unknown usb device set address failed