Windows 10: Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC

Discus and support Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Winows Version: 20H2 Hi, I have been getting black screen crashes on my PC for a few weeks now and not being able to find the cause is driving me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by unicrun, Nov 24, 2020.

1. unicrun Win User

Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC

Winows Version: 20H2

Hi, I have been getting black screen crashes on my PC for a few weeks now and not being able to find the cause is driving me nuts. I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Here is the description of what happened the first time:

-This happens while I'm playing a game (Genshin Impact), the screen suddenly goes black and my display turns off (it is on but the power light on the moniter keeps flickering, which happens when there is no signal).

-The PC ,meanwhile, seems to be working and I can even hear the sound from the game.

- I can turn Caps Lock on/off

-I researched a bit my phone and saw that it could be related to Windows not connecting to the display so I tried the command (Windows Key + Ctrl + Shift + B), nothing happened

Now here's the second part:

-I force shutdown PC and turn it back on again, PC doesn't turn on - the monitor is on but there is no signal (i can hear the PC running)

-I close it again and turn it back on - same thing, im panicking

-I plug all the cables out and wait for 5 min and try again, this time it works

-After the initial ASUS screen on the monitor, Windows logo comes on- then it directs me to a weird blue Windows related page telling me there has been an error and I can either try to connect to Windows again or do a clean boot (i cant exactly remember the options)

-I click try again and it finally opens, i can access my PC

-Then after about 5 minutes of researching the issue, suddenly black screen again - this time there wasn't any game or application running

-I plug all the cables out and wait and try again, this time PC turns on normally without any issue. I used the PC for hours at this point without any issue, even played the same game without any black screens.

-The next day I turn on PC, start Genshin Impact and get black screen after a while. I force shut down PC, turn it back on it doesn't work. I plug all the cables and try again later, it works.

-After the PC turns on without any issue, I get the black screen again after about 5 mins (there wasn't any game or applications running, it was just empty screen). I repeat the process before and then I can use the PC for hours without an issue.

I know from the description it sounds like a software issue, but this whole "black screen after a black screen, and then it's fine" issue seems a bit weird.

The things I have tried:

-Update Windows

-Update GPU, with a clean install and factory settings

-Set power setting to high performance and turned PCI Express off

-ran sfc/ scannow on cmd, no issue found (i got another black screen during the scan, tried again later)

My specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 16 gb

GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series

Windows 10 64-bit

:)

unicrun, Nov 24, 2020

2. PC crash to black screen

Hi Andrew,

Your concern regarding the black/blank screen issue after updating the graphics card can be caused by a change on the device settings or corrupted system files. As an initial step to isolate your concern, we suggest that you perform the methods suggested
    on this support article. Select the option that's related to your concern to view the appropriate steps.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Nov 24, 2020
  3. zplugger Win User
    Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Nov 24, 2020
  4. Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC

Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC

1. Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC - Similar Threads - Unable find root

2. Computer is crashing frequently, cannot find the root cause

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer is crashing frequently, cannot find the root cause: Hi,My Computer has been crashing multiple times a day and I do not know why, I've tried a fresh install and that didn't help so I'm hoping someone here can assist. Here are the .dmp files from the most recent crashes can anyone tell me what the problem is from...
  3. Computer is crashing frequently, cannot find the root cause

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer is crashing frequently, cannot find the root cause: Hi,My Computer has been crashing multiple times a day and I do not know why, I've tried a fresh install and that didn't help so I'm hoping someone here can assist. Here are the .dmp files from the most recent crashes can anyone tell me what the problem is from...
  4. Computer is crashing frequently, cannot find the root cause

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Root cause of a crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Root cause of a crash: My computer BSOD'd recently because of a game, and I've run the Windbg, but I don't know how to read & analyze the output:minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgqNtwl2mN3ShVZ9O2TQVOXwtuoa?e=YVXDEg************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories...
  6. Root cause of a crash

Root cause of a crash: My computer BSOD'd recently because of a game, and I've run the Windbg, but I don't know how to read & analyze the output:minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgqNtwl2mN3ShVZ9O2TQVOXwtuoa?e=YVXDEg************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories...
  7. Long Time PC Issue. Unable to find root cause after a year of diagnosing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Long Time PC Issue. Unable to find root cause after a year of diagnosing: Hello MS Community,I need some desparate help in identifying the issue with my PC. This problem has been ongoing for nearly a year. I thought I had fixed the issue but it seems apparent that it is still ongoing. This is a long story so please bear with me.It all started when...
  8. Long Time PC Issue. Unable to find root cause after a year of diagnosing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long Time PC Issue. Unable to find root cause after a year of diagnosing: Hello MS Community,I need some desparate help in identifying the issue with my PC. This problem has been ongoing for nearly a year. I thought I had fixed the issue but it seems apparent that it is still ongoing. This is a long story so please bear with me.It all started when...
  9. Long Time PC Issue. Unable to find root cause after a year of diagnosing

10. Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC: Winows Version: 20H2 Hi, I have been getting black screen crashes on my PC for a few weeks now and not being able to find the cause is driving me nuts. I was wondering if anyone could help me out? Here is the description of what happened the first time: -This happens while...