Windows 10: Unable to finish WPT xbootmgr prep (Infinite preparing system on 2nd stage)

Discus and support Unable to finish WPT xbootmgr prep (Infinite preparing system on 2nd stage) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying "xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot" to speed up boot process. It worked on other devices in past. But now the process gets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AlanDias17, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Unable to finish WPT xbootmgr prep (Infinite preparing system on 2nd stage)

I'm trying "xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot" to speed up boot process. It worked on other devices in past. But now the process gets stuck at the second boot "Launching attempt #1 to defragment disk...". Exact case Unable to finish WPT xbootmgr prep (Infinite preparing system on 2nd stage). Tried all the steps he mentioned, ran it for hours, no CPU, HDD usage. Just stuck.

Win10 Prox64 2004 (OS Build 19041.508)

xbootmgr.log

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Additional Info:

• Sysmain service is auto "started " by default.
    • Optimize drives service by default "manual" (Tried Auto didn't solve).
    • Faststartup enabled.
    • In EventViewer=> 1. "Session "PerfDiag Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035" 2. "The storage optimizer couldn't complete retrim on DATA (DUnable to finish WPT xbootmgr prep (Infinite preparing system on 2nd stage) :) because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. (0x8900002A)" but followed by => 3. The storage optimizer successfully completed defragmentation on DATA (DUnable to finish WPT xbootmgr prep (Infinite preparing system on 2nd stage) :)
    submitted by /u/AlanDias17
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AlanDias17, Sep 15, 2020

2. Prep stage seems to be hanging

Custom built system with i7-2600 cpu, 8gb RAM, Win7-SP1. OS is on 126GB SSD(compressed).

Started the Prep stage approximately 11 hours ago and so far all it says is "Working on it".

Is this normal? What does the Prep stage comprise? Might the compressed drive slow things down? Is it likely to succeed? If not will I get a message explaining the problem?

Kengee.

Ken Goodale, Sep 15, 2020
  3. Windows Performance Toolkit. How to run xbootmgr with time limitations

Trying to troubleshoot a reboot that never completes and am running the following command from WPT

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -traceFlags BASE+DIAG+LATENCY -noPrepReboot

The etl file is generated but since the reboot never completes it comes out corrupted at least xperf is unable to open it.

Can I run the above command with timeout settings? Basically something like

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -traceFlags BASE+DIAG+LATENCY -noPrepReboot -timeout 30s

or something similar.

turnip_879, Sep 15, 2020
  4. Unable to finish WPT xbootmgr prep (Infinite preparing system on 2nd stage)

Windows Performance Toolkit. How to run xbootmgr with time limitations

Rob,

xbootmgr -help. So which of the flags to I need to use to timeout the data collection?

I have already followed the steps in

Using xbootmgr to trace boot, shutdown, and reboot performance issues

but the steps don't result in data collection timing out.

Please advise on how the xbootmgr can be used with timeout flags.

thanks

turnip_879, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

Unable to finish WPT xbootmgr prep (Infinite preparing system on 2nd stage)

1. Unable to finish WPT xbootmgr prep (Infinite preparing system on 2nd stage) - Similar Threads - Unable finish WPT

2. Reset unable to finish

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset unable to finish: Trying to reset my PC via settings or windows recovery when I hit shift restart but its not finishing. There is a blue box showing that interrupts the process and I dont know what it is. It doesnt have anything on it but it is plain blue box with X button at the top right...
  3. Reset unable to finish

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset unable to finish: Trying to reset my PC via settings or windows recovery when I hit shift restart but its not finishing. There is a blue box showing that interrupts the process and I dont know what it is. It doesnt have anything on it but it is plain blue box with X button at the top right...
  4. Reset unable to finish

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 Infinite Preparing Automatic Repair

Windows 10 Infinite Preparing Automatic Repair: I’m not really a computer guy but I recently broke my other pc and cant afford to send another one out for repairs. Basically my problem is that my computer is basically stuck at the start up screen I took some advice I had gotten and force shut down the pc a couple times...
  6. Bad system info config / infinite preparing automatic repair boot screern

Bad system info config / infinite preparing automatic repair boot screern: I was doing class work then my PC crashed and said BAD_SYSTEM_INFO_CONFIG and it restarted it self and went into preparing automatic repair and it stays there I cant go into bios it windows recovery...
  7. Infinite loop of "Preparing Automatic repair"

Infinite loop of "Preparing Automatic repair": Hey so some stupid thing happened. I turned off my computer two days ago and when I went to it back on my computer would load and then go into "preparing automatic repair". After that it would continue into a black screen for the next hour and then eventually blue screen and...
  8. Activation and sys prep

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation and sys prep: I am creating a Windows 10 64 bit LTSB 2016 image and I am going to do a copy profile. I want my default profile to have a customized Start menu. With personal folder, file explorer, etc on the left side. So I activated it. When I run copy profile (sys prep) do I need to...
  9. "Preparing Automatic Repair" infinite loop

"Preparing Automatic Repair" infinite loop: Hi all, I fresh installed Windows 10x64 in my new laptop. It was working flawlessly. The main drive is a Samsung EVO 960 Nvme. All I did was temporarily replace it with another SSD (I had to test it), and then reinstalled the EVO. Upon reinstalling it each time I power the...
  10. Windows 10 installation failed on 2nd stage.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation failed on 2nd stage.: An error occured when my installation goes to second stage. Then it recovered my last OS version and said that update fail because this "WindowsUpdate_C1900101 OR WindowsUpdate_dt000". What I have to do? My Windows 10 Update application also gone from my taskbar. *Sick 13312