Windows 10: Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

Discus and support Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Greetings,I have a microSD card with bitlocker that I can unlock with my password and view the files on, but I'm unable to remove the encryption or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by TheInternal, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

Greetings,I have a microSD card with bitlocker that I can unlock with my password and view the files on, but I'm unable to remove the encryption or format the drive. I've tried on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, and I get similar errors. I do NOT need to recover information, I just want to wipe the drive so I can use it for other devices. Quick and "normal" formatting fails, regardless of if I change or keep the file system, with error "Windows was unable to complete the format." occurring each time.Check Disk indicates no errors. I receive error code 0x8007001f when I attempt to remove bitloc

:)

TheInternal, Nov 23, 2023

2. Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

Hey All,

Recently my company provided me with a Windows 10 SOE image as part of a UAT. The image includes Symantec Endpoint Encryption which utilizes Bitlocker for encryption.

I went through all of the motions with the C:\ drive to be encrypted and even printed the recovery key. Well, at some point I plugged in a few My Passport USB drives and they became locked by Bitlocker To Go. Everytime I try to unlock or click on these drives it asks for the 48-bit key which I don't have because I never was prompted to encrypt/lock these drives.

Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive. 91535d1485969598t-unable-unlock-usb-drives-encrypted-locked-bitlocker-go-2016_07_22_16_27_041.png

Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive. 91536d1485969598t-unable-unlock-usb-drives-encrypted-locked-bitlocker-go-2016_07_22_16_27_422.png

IT says that there are no keys stored on the servers for these USB drives and suggested that this would be a "local" encryption. However, they also stated that they wouldn't be encrypted unless I was prompted about it. So, there's this mystery about how these USB drives came to be locked.

I've been doing some research and the closest I've come is getting some output about the protectors:
    Code:
    I've tried to copy the .bek file to another non-encrypted/locked USB but get:

Code:
    I've tried all of the passwords (even blank) I have in an attempt to unlock the drive:

Code:
    When I search my laptop by either the Numerical or External IDs, I get nothing even with hidden files enabled.

Can anybody provide any recommendations here? I can always provide any additional info. Should I also post in the MS forums?

There's so much data on these drives that I cannot loose.

Regards, Jimmy

coolguy9000, Nov 23, 2023
  3. mcraygsx Win User
    Windows 8.1 PRO unable to unlock Bitlocked drive

Here is the screenshot

imgur.com
    As you can see Drive D is no longer present in BitLocker Drive Encryption.

When I click on this Drive under Explorer I got the option to FORMAT this Drive and when I click cancel I get the following.
    imgur.com
    When I do Right Click on this Drive, I no longer see BitLocker option like I used to.

mcraygsx, Nov 23, 2023
  4. Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

Hi,

coolguy9000, have you been able to resolve this issue?
    I am having almost same problem as you are. The only different is I restarted my computer while the encryption was still running.

Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive. nlock-usb-drives-encrypted-locked-bitlocker-go-2017-01-20-12_06_40-administrator_-command-prompt.png

I do not have any data in the USB do recover.
    Every formatting software i try tells me that the drive is write protected.

Is there how do I format the drive and put it to use again?

Thank you,

hoanggeneral, Nov 23, 2023
Thema:

Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

1. Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive. - Similar Threads - Unable format remove

2. Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.: Greetings,I have a microSD card with bitlocker that I can unlock with my password and view the files on, but I'm unable to remove the encryption or format the drive. I've tried on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, and I get similar errors. I do NOT need to recover information,...
  3. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  4. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  5. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. How to unlock hard drive encrypted with BitLocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to unlock hard drive encrypted with BitLocker: I don’t remember the password and cannot unlock the hard drive. Can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-hard-drive-encrypted-with-bitlocker/08678428-f8fd-436f-9512-81369fef0fab
  7. Unlock BitLocker Encrypted Fixed or Removable Data Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Unlock BitLocker Encrypted Fixed or Removable Data Drive in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the OS, Fixed & Removable drives that addresses threats of unauthorized access. In this post, we show you how to use password or recovery key to unlock a drive [...] This post...
  8. Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker: Hi everyone, I have set up BitLocker on my E:/ before (but I forgot to backup the key on Microsoft Account) However, when I install Windows, I have mistakenly clicked "Delete" E:/ , and all the data removed. After Windows installation, I have formatted E:/ , and want to...
  9. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key: I encrypted an external hard drive a while ago and have since forgotten the password. I have the 48 digit recovery key saved to my computer as a notepad document. The problem I am having is that when I enter the 48 digit recovery key to unlock the drive nothing happens. No...
  10. Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go: Hey All, Recently my company provided me with a Windows 10 SOE image as part of a UAT. The image includes Symantec Endpoint Encryption which utilizes Bitlocker for encryption. I went through all of the motions with the C:\ drive to be encrypted and even printed the...