Windows 10: Unable to get computer to join domain through WDS

Discus and support Unable to get computer to join domain through WDS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Recently, I have implemented WDS within my workplace to get away from Configuration Manager (As crazy as this might sounds), the reason being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by manofskill, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Unable to get computer to join domain through WDS

Hello,

Recently, I have implemented WDS within my workplace to get away from Configuration Manager (As crazy as this might sounds), the reason being is to help streamline and reduce the time it takes to image a single machine and also to decrease the amount of post deployment steps after a computer is done imaging.

So far, I've managed to get WDS configured, create a boot image, capture image, and install image. I am using two answer files in my environment, One being a unattend.xml file at the server level to partition and format the hard drives, select what image to use (winPE phase), enter the product key and correct Time Zone (Specialize Phase). Then I have another answer file which I named oobe.xml which is applied at the image level to skip all the OOBE questions, create a local account, and assign a password to the local administrator account (oobe phase). The issue I am not running into is getting a computer to join the domain automatically. I have tried configuring the Microsoft-UnattendedJoin component in both answer files at the specialize phase without any luck... Originally, I was wanting the computer object to be created in a custom OU named "Computer Room". I even tried changing this to the default OU "Computers", to see if this will work, no luck.

I am deploying Windows 10 Enterprise Build 1709.

If you need to me to post the actual XML content of both files, let me know and I will do so.

Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

:)

manofskill, Aug 22, 2018

2. Re-join the domain after upgrade

There is no need to leave the domain, you can perform the upgrade (with Admin privileges).

You can also leave the domain, upgrade with a local account, then join the domain again.

Resources:

Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain  

@rseiler,

I just finished clean installing Windows 10 Enterprise build 17093 in a VM using a local account, and it still has the same steps in the tutorial for me.

Is your PC already joined to a domain?

Unable to get computer to join domain through WDS [​IMG]

Brink, Aug 22, 2018
  4. ZipsterM Win User

Unable to get computer to join domain through WDS

Windows 10 upgrade for domain joined computers

Thank you for your response, Andre. There's nothing unfortunate about domain joined computers being exempt from the automatic upgrade. That's good news. However, is there any news of what the upgrade path will be for domain joined computers?

ZipsterM, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

Unable to get computer to join domain through WDS

1. Unable to get computer to join domain through WDS - Similar Threads - Unable computer join

2. KB5028166 update. computers are unable to join the domain.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5028166 update. computers are unable to join the domain.: After installing the KB5028166 update, computers are unable to join the domain. After entering the password, it displays the message: "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" It is possible to join the domain after removing this update....
  3. KB5028166 update. computers are unable to join the domain.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5028166 update. computers are unable to join the domain.: After installing the KB5028166 update, computers are unable to join the domain. After entering the password, it displays the message: "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" It is possible to join the domain after removing this update....
  4. KB5028166 update. computers are unable to join the domain.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Unable to join Windows 10 to Domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to join Windows 10 to Domain: We are trying to join a Windows 10 machine to our domain controller which sits on Server 2012 R2. Networking team has recently blocked port 445 SMB. Is there a way to join the domain controller without this port?...
  6. Unable to join Windows 10 to Domain

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to join Windows 10 to Domain: We are trying to join a Windows 10 machine to our domain controller which sits on Server 2012 R2. Networking team has recently blocked port 445 SMB. Is there a way to join the domain controller without this port?...
  7. Unable to join Windows 10 to Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Cant get computer to join domain with unattended file in WDS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant get computer to join domain with unattended file in WDS: Hello, Recently, I have implemented WDS within my workplace to get away from Configuration Manager (As crazy as this might sounds), the reason being is to help streamline and reduce the time it takes to image a single machine and also to decrease the amount of post...
  9. Cant get computer to join domain with unattended file in WDS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant get computer to join domain with unattended file in WDS: Hello, Recently, I have implemented WDS within my workplace to get away from Configuration Manager (As crazy as this might sounds), the reason being is to help streamline and reduce the time it takes to image a single machine and also to decrease the amount of post...
  10. Unable to join client to Domain

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to join client to Domain: Hi Im setting up a brand new network and keep getting this error when trying to join computers to the network Please Help??!!! Been at this for 2 weeks still no head way te: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's...