Windows 10: Unable to get HDR on external display

Discus and support Unable to get HDR on external display in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hi, I’m using Hp Elite book 840 G4 with windows 10. What I’m trying to do is run videos (movies) though my laptop on a 55” 4K philips television which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by heaven.hell, May 8, 2019.

1. Unable to get HDR on external display

hi, I’m using Hp Elite book 840 G4 with windows 10. What I’m trying to do is run videos (movies) though my laptop on a 55” 4K philips television which supports HDR10.

I have bought a display port adapter which supports 4K @ 60hz. The setup is as below -

1. Laptop display adapter to HDMI cable, connected to AVR Denon X3500h, which further conners with the TV.

When i cast a movie or use the TV’s inbuilt app (like netflix), it smoothly runs in HDR.

But when i connect tv to laptop, the option of “Stream HDR video” itself is greyed out. It says it could not detect HDR capable display.

One more thing, under display setting there is no setting of “HDR and WCG”

i believe this might some driver issue. Please help.

Let me know if any more details required. Thanks

:)

heaven.hell, May 8, 2019

2. Broken HDR over display port 1.4

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What is the make and model of your monitor?
    2. Were you able to use HDR, prior to this issue?
    3. Was there any major change or update on your system, before which you were able to use the HDR option over display port 1.4?

Reply with the status of the issue, in-order to assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Hope it helps,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 8, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Projecting to an external display

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Windows 10.

I understand that you are unable to use external display with windows 10.

This usually occurs if the video driver was not installed properly or not configured correctly.so I would suggest you to reinstall the drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Uninstall Display Adapter drivers

I suggest you to uninstall the display drivers and reinstall them in compatibility mode.

To uninstall the driver, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type devmgmt.msc
    • Right click on the driver you want to uninstall
    • Click on Uninstall
    • Restart the system
    After the computer restarts, install the driver in compatibility mode.

• Select the setup file
    • Right click on it and click on
      properties
    • Click on Compatibility tab
    • Select the operating system
    • Click Ok.
    Hope it helps, do get back to us if you need further assistance with Windows.

Arul_D, May 8, 2019
  4. Unable to get HDR on external display

I could turn on the HDR and WCG setting on initially today when I connected a new HDR TV.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to turn on HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10. This issue might occur due to incompatible drivers.

I suggest you to roll back the display drivers and check if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press 'Windows
    + R' key together on your Keyboard.

2. Type 'devmgmt.msc' and hit enter.

3. Expand the display adapter option from the list.

4. Right click on the driver and click on 'Properties'.

5. Click on 'Driver' tab and check for 'Roll Back Driver'. If the roll back option is available, roll back the driver and restart the
    computer.

If you are still facing issues with color after enabling HDR on your PC and if you’re using an HDMI connection and your display supports HDR over a DisplayPort connection, use DisplayPort instead to connect your PC and display.

• If HDMI is your only option, use that, and then do one of the following:

Reduce the frame rate

1. Select Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings, and then select Display adapter properties.
      2. In the display’s Properties box, select the Monitor tab, select 30 Hertz for the Screen refresh rate, and then select OK.

- OR -

Reduce the resolution

1. Select Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings, and then select Display adapter properties
      2. On the Adapter tab, select List All Modes.

In List All Modes, select the setting that includes 1920 by 1080, 60 Hertz, and then select OK.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 8, 2019
Thema:

Unable to get HDR on external display

1. Unable to get HDR on external display - Similar Threads - Unable HDR external

2. Miracast unable to connect to external display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Miracast unable to connect to external display: I have a laptop that will not connect to wireless displays by MiracastWhen connecting to a wireless display, the display provides a PIN code, but when I enter the PIN number, the connection fails with error "Couldn't connect to your device"I have 100+ of the same laptop in my...
  3. Miracast unable to connect to external display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Miracast unable to connect to external display: I have a laptop that will not connect to wireless displays by MiracastWhen connecting to a wireless display, the display provides a PIN code, but when I enter the PIN number, the connection fails with error "Couldn't connect to your device"I have 100+ of the same laptop in my...
  4. Miracast unable to connect to external display

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Unable to enable HDR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to enable HDR: Hi, I have a Thunderbolt 3 Dock with a nVidia RTX2060, and a Samsung Odyssey G9. My Dell Latitude 7410 allows enabling HDR, my Razer Blade 13 Late 2019 does not. Both up to Date Windows 10, both connected to the same GPU, the same Monitor. One with HDR, one without. None of...
  6. Unable to enable HDR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to enable HDR: Hi, I have a Thunderbolt 3 Dock with a nVidia RTX2060, and a Samsung Odyssey G9. My Dell Latitude 7410 allows enabling HDR, my Razer Blade 13 Late 2019 does not. Both up to Date Windows 10, both connected to the same GPU, the same Monitor. One with HDR, one without. None of...
  7. Unable to enable HDR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. HDR in duplicate display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR in duplicate display: https://amp.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/flf7ln/why_exactly_isnt_hdr_supported_for/ Basically same question. How come I can enable HDR on my monitors if they are extended, but I lose that function if it's duplicated. submitted by /u/yjamal01 [link] [comments]...
  9. Duplicate displays with HDR

Duplicate displays with HDR: Hi. I'm posting this because I see very little info and documentation on the subject and I'd like to debunk this.As of now, it is not possible to duplicate a display and keep HDR on both. Even though both displays are HDR capable.I take there is no progress on the subject...
  10. Cannot get HDR to function in display settings

Cannot get HDR to function in display settings: I previously owned a Lenovo L24Q-20 monitor running off a Nividia 1660 video card. Windows 10 tells me it is not HDR capable. On the advice of Lenovo, I purchased the L24Q-30 monitor with greater capabilities they say is HDR capable. Windows 10 still tells me my display is...